Research Article of American Journal of Chemical Research
Synthesis, Characterization and Antimicrobial Properties of Pd(II), Cr(III), Ni(II) and Co(II) Metal Complexes of Aniline and Sulphadiazine Schiff Bases as mixed Ligands
1Ejelonu Benjamin Chibundor, 1*Oyeneyin Oluwatoba Emmanuel, 3Akele Olatunbosun Emmanuel, 2Olagboye Sulaiman Adeoye
1Department of Chemical Sciences, Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko, Ondo State, Nigeria; 2Chemistry Department, Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, Nigeria; 3Department of Microbiology, Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko, Ondo State, Nigeria
Novel Pd(II), Cr(III), Ni(II) and Co(II) metal complexes of Schiff bases were synthesized from the condensation reaction between salicylaldehyde and aniline (L1) and sulphadiazine (L2). They were characterized using FTIR and UV-Visible spectroscopy and subjected to conductivity, melting point and solubility measurements. The complexes are non-toxic, non-electrolytic and stable solids. The involvement of the azomethine nitrogen in coordination with the metals was confirmed by the IR and UV results. They showed good inhibitory activities against various microorganisms.
Keywords: Aniline Schiff bases, Sulphadiazine Schiff bases, Transition metal complexes, Antimicrobial properties, Synthesis, Spectral studies.
How to cite this article:
Ejelonu Benjamin Chibundor, Oyeneyin Oluwatoba Emmanuel, Akele Olatunbosun Emmanuel, Olagboye Sulaiman Adeoye. Synthesis, Characterization and Antimicrobial Properties of Pd(II), Cr(III), Ni(II) and Co(II) Metal Complexes of Aniline and Sulphadiazine Schiff Bases as mixed Ligands. American Journal of Chemical Research, 2018, 2:7. DOI: 10.28933/ajcr-2018-05-2301
1. Wenling Q, Sha L., Mauro P., Stefano, B. (2013). Schiff Bases: A Short Survey on an Evergreen Chemistry Tool. Molecules. 18, 12264-12289.
2. Maurya R.C., Patel P., Rajput S. (2003). Synthesis and characterization of Mixed‐Ligand Complexes of Cu(II), Ni(II), Co(II), Zn(II), Sm(III), and U(VI)O2, with a Schiff Base Derived from the Sulfa Drug Sulfamerazine and 2,2′‐Bipyridine. Synthesis and Reactivity in Inorganic and Metal-Organic Chemistry. 33(5), 801-816.
3. Rai B.K., Rachana K. (2013). Synthesis, Structural, Spectroscopic and Antibacterial Studies of Schiff Base Ligands and their Metal Complexes containing Nitrogen and Sulphur Donor Atom. Oriental Journal Of Chemistry. 29(3), 1163-1167.
4. Chandraleka S., Chandramohan G., Dhanasekaran D., Meenakumari P., Panneerselvam A. (2011). Antifungal activity of amino acid schiff base Copper (II) complexes with phenanthroline and bipyridyl, International Journal of Chemical and Analytical Science. 2(10), 1235-1240.
5. Mohammed F.A.A., Venkatesan J. (2014). Microwave Synthesis and Antimicrobial Activity of Novel Metal-Complexes with Schiff Base 2,5-Thiophene Dicarboxaldehyde-Thiosemicarbazone. Scholars Academic Journal of Pharmacy (SAJP). 43(5), 406-410.
6. Selwin J.R., Sivasankaran M. N. (2008). Mycobiology, Antibacterial and Antifungal Studies on Some Schiff Base Complexes of Zinc(II). The Korean Society of Mycology. 36(2), 93-98.
7. Ejelonu B. C., Oyeneyin O. E., OLAGBOYE S. A., AKELE O. E. (2018). Synthesis, Characterization and Antimicrobial Properties of Transition Metal Complexes of Aniline and Sulphadiazine Schiff Bases as mixed Ligands. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. In press.
8. Ajibade, P. A., Ejelonu B. C. (2013). Group 12 dithiocarbamate complexes: Synthesis, spectral studies and their use as percursors for metal sulfides nanoparticles and nanocomposites. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 113. 408-414.
9. Maged S. A. (2018). Synthesis and Characterization of Coordination Polymers of 1,3-Di(4-Pyridyl)-Propane And 2-Aminobenzothiazole with Mn(II), Co(II), Cu(II) and Ni(II) Ions. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 10(2), 77-83.
10. Raghad H., Emad Y., Ahmed A. (2013). Synthesis and characterization of transition metal complexes of 4-Amino-5-pyridyl-4H-1,2,4-triazole-3-thiol. Springerplus. 2, 510.
11. Kharisov B. I., Blanco L. M., Garnovskii A. D., Burlov A. S., Kuznetsova L. I., Korovina L. V., Garnovskii D. A., Dieck T. (1998). Synthesis of transition metal complexes with heteroazomethinic ligands: a comparison of traditional and electrochemical methods. Polyhedron. 17(2-3), 381-389.
12. Suraj B. A., Deshpande M. N., Deshmukh J. H. (2012). Synthesis And Characterization Of Transition Metal Complexes Of Schiff Base Derived From Isatin And 2-Amino, 4-Chloro Benzoic Acid. Rasayan J. Chem. 5(1), 10-15.
13. Ejelonu B. C., Ajibade P. A. (2016). Zns, Cds And Hgs Nanoparticles In Poly(Methyl Methacrylate) Matrix: Synthesis, Thermal And Structural Studies. Chalcogenide Letters. 13(12), 563-574.
14. Ejelonu B. C. (2016). Synthesis, Characterization Of Mixed N-Phenyl-, P-Chlorophenyldithiocarbamate Ligand Complexes Of Some Transition Metals And Their In-Vitro Antimicrobial Activities. European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 3(10), 33-37.