Research Article of American Journal of Transportation and Logistics
Performance Evaluation of OTT Communication Services
Damilola Fowora*, Oludele Awodele, Olakunle Olayinka and Oyebode Aduragbemi
Department of Computer Science, Babcock University, Nigeria
This paper assesses the performance and efficiency of Over the Top service applications. Over the Top services has affected the methods and ways information is passed from content creators to consumers. This paper assesses the performance of two of the most heavily utilized over the top applications which include WhatsApp and Skype. We measure their performance on 4 metrics which includes CPU performance, Latency, End-to-End Latency and Load per Period. We see how both these applications perform based on the measurements derived from these metrics.
Keywords: Over-The-Top, Performance Evaluation, OTT, Communication Services
How to cite this article:
Damilola Fowora, Oludele Awodele, Olakunle Olayinka and Oyebode Aduragbemi Performance Evaluation of OTT Communication Services. American Journal of Transportation and Logistics, 2018,1:2. DOI:10.28933/ajtl-2018-05-1801
1. Adebayo, G. (2017). “Over the Top” (OTT) Provision of Telecoms Services in Nigeria. Las Vagas: Associan of Licensed Telecommunications Operators in Nigeria.
2. Alkharashi, A. (2016). Wireless & Telecommunication. Open Access Jorunal, 8(4), 56-60.
3. Ekekwe, N. (2017, June 24). How MTN, Glo, Etisalat, Airtel Will Solve OTT Problems And Boost Revenue In Nigeria. Retrieved from Tekedia: https://www.tekedia.com/how-mtn-glo-etisalat-airtel-will-solve-ott-problems-and-boost-revenue-in-nigeria/
4. Gabriel, O. (2016, February 8). Telecommunications Spurs Growth in GDP. Retrieved from Vanguard: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/telecommunications-spur-growth-in-gdp/
5. J. Sujata, S. S. (2015). Impact of Over the Top (OTT) Services on Telecom Service Providers. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 8(4), 145 – 160.
6. R. Friedrich, C. B. (2013). Enabling the OTT revolution & How telecom operators can stake their claim,. Booz & Company.
7. S. Baldry, M. S. (2014). The Rise Of OTT Players – What is the Appropriate Regulatory Response. Deutsche Telecom Group.
8. Selian, A. (2002). 3G Mobile Licensing Policy: GSM Case Study (Vol. 2). Navada: International Telecommunication Union.
9. SUGENG, W., ISTIYANTO, J. E., MUSTOFA, K., & ASHARI, A. (2015). The Impact of QoS Changes towards Network Performance . International Journal of Computer Networks and Communications Security .
10. TRAI. (2015). Regulatory Framework for Over-The-Top (OTT) Services. India: Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.