Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Kakuchi-Fujimoto Disease Associated with Autoimmune Hepatitis and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
Mithu Maheswaranathan, M.D.1 and Melissa Cunningham, M.D., Ph.D.2
From the Department of Internal Medicine1 and Division of Rheumatology2, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is often associated with various systemic manifestations, from peripheral cytopenias to renal involvement or neuropsychiatric symptoms. Here, we present a patient in whom the cause of fever and altered mental status was unknown despite repeated lumbar punctures, but later became elucidated following the development of rash and lymphadenopathy with subsequent biopsies. This case demonstrates a unique presentation of Kakuchi-Fujimoto Disease, a necrotizing lymphadenitis manifesting in association with SLE and autoimmune hepatitis. Further, this case illustrates the proclivity of autoimmune disorders to occur concurrently.
Author contributions: Mithu Maheswaranathan – drafting of the manuscript; critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content; Melissa Cunningham – drafting of the manuscript; critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content, supervisory
Keywords: systemic lupus erythematosus, lymphadenopathy, autoimmune hepatitis, Kakuchi-Fujimoto Disease, necrotizing lymphadenitis, encephalopathy
How to cite this article:
Mithu Maheswaranathan and Melissa Cunningham. Kakuchi-Fujimoto Disease Associated with Autoimmune Hepatitis and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. International Journal of Case Reports, 2018 2:25. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2018-05-2802.
1. Sopena B, Rivera A, Vazquez-Trinanes C, et al. Autoimmune manifestations of Kikuchi disease. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2012;41(6):900-6. doi: 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2011.11.001
2. Santana A, Lessa B, Galrao L, et al. Kikuchi-Fujimoto’s disease associated with systemic lupus erythematosus: case report and review of the literature. Clin Rheumatol 2005;24(1):60-3. doi: 10.1007/s10067-004-0923-6
3. Kucukardali Y, Solmazgul E, Kunter E, et al. Kikuchi-Fujimoto Disease: analysis of 244 cases. Clin Rheumatol 2007;26(1):50-4. doi: 10.1007/s10067-006-0230-5
4. Y.C.; Tseng H.H. YHLLSSTHCHCKCYSLHHWSRL. Clinical manifestations of Kikuchi’s disease in southern Taiwan. J Microbiol Immunol Infect 2005;38(1):35-40.
5. Baenas DF, Diehl FA, Haye Salinas MJ, et al. Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease and systemic lupus erythematosus. Int Med Case Rep J 2016;9:163-7. doi: 10.2147/IMCRJ.S106396
6. Kampitak T. Fatal Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease associated with SLE and hemophagocytic syndrome: a case report. Clin Rheumatol 2008;27(8):1073-5. doi: 10.1007/s10067-008-0902-4
7. Cheng C-Y, Sheng W-H, Lo Y-C, et al. Clinical Presentations, Laboratory Results and Outcomes of Patients with Kikuchi’s Disease: Emphasis on the Association Between Recurrent Kikuchi’s Disease and Autoimmune Diseases. Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection 2010;43(5):366-71. doi: 10.1016/s1684-1182(10)60058-8
8. Tănăsescu C, Niţescu D, Stăniceanu F, et al. Kikuchi’s disease associated with systemic lupus erythematosus and autoimmune-like hepatitis. Rom J Intern Med2003.