Research Article of International Research Journal of Public Health
Study of Knowledge about Hypertension in Young Adult Population of Age Group 20 to 40 Years in an Urban Slum of Mumbai
Amrin Y. Tadvi*, Janardhan R. Bandi
Department of Community Medicine, Topiwala National Medical College and BYL Nair Ch. Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Context: Hypertension is a growing health problem throughout the World. There is paucity of data on awareness about hypertension, its causes and related complications in general population. Awareness about hypertension in younger population can prevent its development in later age. Thus to prevent & control the problem of hypertension there is a need for increasing knowledge and awareness about hypertension in younger population. Aim of this study is to assess knowledge about hypertension in younger population using a knowledge questionnaire.
Methods: A cross-sectional community based study amongst 450 participants in the age group of 20 to 40 years using systematic sampling technique with a random start. Data was collected using a questionnaire form that was devised relevant to the study.
Conclusion: Among 450 participants, 264 i.e. 58.7% participants had poor knowledge about hypertension (score < 7) and 186 i.e 41.3% good knowledge about hypertension (score > 7).
Keywords: Knowledge, Hypertension, Young adult, Urban slum
How to cite this article:
Amrin Y. Tadvi and Janardhan R. Bandi. Study of Knowledge about Hypertension in Young Adult Population of Age Group 20 to 40 Years in an Urban Slum of Mumbai. International Research Journal of Public Health, 2017; 1:3. DOI: 10.28933/irjph-2017-01-03
1. A global brief on hypertension-Silent killer, global public health crisis. Geneva: http://ish-world.com/downloads/pdf/global_brief_hypertension.pdf (Assessed on 18 July 2015)
2. Reddy VS, Jacob GP, Ballala K, Ravi C, Ravi B, Gandhi P et al. International J. Of healthcare and biomedical research; April 2015: vol 3 :3: 32-39.
3. Parmar P, Rathod G, Rathod S, Goyal R, Aggarwal S, Parikh A. Study of knowledge, attitude and practices of general population of Gandhinagar towards hypertension.Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci ; 2014: 3: 8: 680-685.
4. Prabakaran J, Vijayalakshmi N, Venkata Rao E. Prevalence of hypertension among urban adult population of 25-64 years of Nellore. Int J Res Dev Health; 2013:1(2):2-5.
5. Ahmad S. Prevalence and risk factors of hypertension, among adults residing in an urban area of North India. Int J Pure App Biosci 2015;3(2):338-44.