Case report of Journal of Stroke Research
Management of Post Bilateral Pontine Haemorrhage with Ayurveda
Assistant Professor, Department of Kayachikitsa, C.B.P.A.C.S, New Delhi
Background and Purpose. This case report documents the management of residual paralysis due to a rare and fatal disease – hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis with Ayurveda. The purpose of this report is to illustrate the role of Ayurvedic treatment methodology for management of such neurological disorders. Case Description: Mrs. PM was a 31 year old lady who suffered from an attack of acute hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis after her second delivery. She had left hemiplegia with right sided LMN facial palsy with nystagmus and loss of control of posture and whole-limb movements. Some residual ability to use the right hand and fingers remained, provided the trunk and right upper arm were stabilized. Her cognitive power remains undiminished. Computed tomographic scans verified acute bilateral paramedian pontine hemorrhage with intraventricular extension. It also showed chronic infarcts in bilateral external capsules. Discussion. 15 days treatment with Ayurvedic medicines and Panchakarma procedures including Nasya and Tarapan therapies showed significant improvement in nystagmus, postural abnormalities and whole – body movement.
Keywords: Nasya, Tarpana, Nystagmus, Ataxia
How to cite this article:
Kajaria Divya. Management of Post Bilateral Pontine Haemorrhage with Ayurveda. Journal of Stroke Research, 2016,1(1): 0001-0012. DOI: 10.28933/jsr-2016-0813
1. Oczkowski WJ, Barreca S. The functional independence measure: its use to identify rehabilitation needs in stroke survivors. Arch Phys Med Rehabil.1993 ;74:1291–1294.
2. Hamilton BB, Laughlin JA, Fiedler RC, Granger CV. Interrater reliability of the 7-level functional independence measure (FIM). Scand J Rehabil Med.1994 ;26:115–119.
3. Stineman MG, Jette A, Fiedler R, Granger C. Impairment-specific dimensions within the Functional Independence Measure. Arch Phys Med Rehabil.1997 ;78:636–643.
4. Stineman MG, Shea JA, Jette A, et al. The Functional Independence Measure: tests of scaling assumptions, structure, and reliability across 20 diverse impairment categories. Arch Phys Med Rehabil.1996 ;77:1101–1108.
5. Rasool M., Varalakshmi P. Immunomodulatory role of Withania somnifera root powder on experimental induced inflammation: An in vivo and in vitro study.Vascular Pharmacology. 2006; 44 (6): 406–410.
6. Ong WY, Shalini SM, Costantino L .Nose-to-brain drug delivery by nanoparticles in the treatment of neurological disorders. Curr Med Chem. 2014;21(37):4247-56.
7. Hamilton BB, Granger CV, Sherwin FS et al. A uniform national data system for medical rehabilitation. In: Fuhrer MJ, editor. Rehabilitation Outcomes: analysis and measurement. Baltimore, MD: Brookes; 1987. pp. 137–47.
8. Stineman MG, Jette A, Fiedler R et al. Impairment-specifi c dimensions within the Functional Independence Measure. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1997; 78: 636–43.
9. Hall KM, Mann N, High WM et al. Functional measures after traumatic brain injury: ceiling effects of FIM, FIM+FAM, DRS and CIQ. J Head Trauma Rehabil. 1996; 11: 27–39.
10. Turner-Stokes L, Nyein K, Turner-Stokes T et al. The UK FIM+FAM: development and evaluation. Clin Rehabil. 1999; 13: 277–87.
11. Berg KO, Wood-Dauphinee SL, Williams JI et al. Measuring balance in the elderly: preliminary development of an instrument. Physiother Can. 1989; 41: 304–11.
12. Berg KO, Wood-Dauphinee SL, Williams JI. The balance scale: reliability assessment with elderly residents and patients with an acute stroke. Scand J Rehabil Med. 1995; 27: 27–36.
13. Berg KO, Maki BE, Williams JI et al. Clinical and laboratory measures of postural balance in an elderly population. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1992; 73: 1073–80.
14. Thorbahn LDB, Newton RA. Use of the Berg balance test to predict falls in elderly persons. Phys Ther. 1996; 76: 576–83.
15. Harada N, Chiu V, Damron-Rodriguez J et al. Screening for balance and mobility impairment in elderly individuals living in residential care facilities. Phys Ther. 1995; 75: 462–9.
16. Riddle DL, Startford PW. Interpreting validity indexes for diagnostic tests: an illustration using the Berg balance test. Phys Ther. 1999; 79: 939–48. 7 Newton R. Balance screening of an inner-city older adult population. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1997; 78: 587–91.