Research Article of International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine
EVALUATION OF SHILAJATU FOR IMPROVEMENT IN QUALITY OF LIFE IN PATIENTS OF DIABETES MELLITUS
Ayurvedic Medical Officer, ESI Hospital, Jalandhar, Punjab
As per WHO, in South-east Asia region alone 96 million people are estimated to be suffering from diabetes. Due to sedentary lifestyle and stress full nature of work, associated risk factors such as being overweight or obese, the number of diabetic patients is increasing. Diabetes is an important cause of blindness, kidney failure, lower limb amputation and other long-term consequences that impact on quality of life significantly. Continuous research is being done by scientists of various fields in order to achieve an effective cure of the disease and to improve quality of life. A great deal of work has also been done by Ayurvedic research scholars on various herbal and mineral drugs to find an effective treatment for diabetes generally reffered to as Prameha. Shilajatu is one such drug which has been described for the management of Prameha in Ayurveda texts. The present study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy of Shilajatu in the improving the quality of life in patients of Prameha. Twenty two diabetic patients were selected for the study. The results were assessed in terms of symptomatic relief on the basis of scoring system, as per the Questionnaire on Quality of Life. Statistically highly significant improvement (p <0.001) was observed on physical domain. Statistically significant improvement was observed on psychological domain with p<0.001. In terms of Social Relationships Domain also, highly significant improvement, with p <0.001 was observed. Highly significant improvement was observed in overall quality of life statistically with p <0.001. The study revealed that Shilajatu can be used as a drug in the management of Prameha to improve the quality of life of patients.
Keywords: Diabetes, Prameha, quality of life, Shilajatu, WHO-QOL-BREF
How to cite this article:
Neha Lamba. EVALUATION OF SHILAJATU FOR IMPROVEMENT IN QUALITY OF LIFE IN PATIENTS OF DIABETES MELLITUS. International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine 2016, 1:13. DOI:10.28933/lamba-ijtcm-2016
1. Global Report on Diabetes, WHO, (Last accessed on 2016 August 1) available from http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/204871/1/9789241565257eng.pdf
2. Available from http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-modi-urges-the-nation-to-share-their-experiences-on-how-yoga-can-mitigate-diabetes-2228094 last accessed on 2016, august 2
3. Shastri Ambikadutt, Susruta Samhita edited with Ayurveda tatva sandipika Hindi Commentary, Chikitsa Sthana 13th chapter, Madhumeha Chikitsa, Chaukhambha Sanskrit Sansthan, Varanasi, reprint edition; 2007. p. 64
4. Sadananda Sharma, Ras Tarangini, commentary by Haridatta Shastri, edited P. Kashinath Shastri, 22nd Chapter, Mishralohavigyaniya 11th edition, Motilal Banarsidas; 2009, p. 586
5. S. Bhattacharya, Shilajit attenuates streptozotocin induced diabetes mellitus and decrease in pancreatic islet superoxide dismutase activity in rats, Phytotherapy ResearchVolume 9, Issue 1, Article first published online: 20 JAN 2006)
6. WHO-QOL, Available from http://www.who.int/mental_health/media/en/76.pdf) (http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/research_tools/en/english_whoqol.pdf Last accessed on 2016 August 2
7. Richard R. Rubin, Diabetes and Quality of Life, Available from http://journal.diabetes.org/diabetesspectrum/00v13n1/pg21.htm, last accessed on 2016, August 10
8. Shastri Kashinath & Gorakhnath Chaturvedi, Charaka Samhita of Agnivesha elaborated Vidyotini Hindi commentary, Chikitsa sthana 1st chapter Karpratichiya Rasayanpada, Chaukhambha Bharati Sansthan, Varanasi, reprint edition; 2005. p. 45.
9. Axel Hirsch, Diabetes Care in Germany: New Roles for Professionals and Patients, Available from http://journal.diabetes.org/diabetesspectrum/00v13n1/pg3.htm, last accessed on 2016, August 10.
10. Trivedi N A, Mazumdar B, Bhatt J D, Hemavathi K G. Indian J Pharmacol 2004 [cited 2014 Apr 24];36:373-6.