Editorial Board of International Journal of Food and Nutrition Research
Dr. Umar Farooq
Department of Food Science and Technology,
Muhammad Nawaz Shareef University of Agriculture
Biography & Research Interest
Welcome Dr. Umar Farooq to Join the Editorial Board of International Journal of Food and Nutrition Research.
1. Ph.D. Food Technology (2007): University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan. Thesis: “Production and utilization of organic acids from food industrial wastes through fermentation technology”
2. M.Sc. (Hons.) Food Technology (2002): University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan. CGPA 3.44/4 (74.11%) 1st Division Thesis: “Comparative study of viability of Lactobacillus bulgaricus as yoghurt culture preserved on agar slopes, under oil and in liquid form conditions”
3. B.Sc. (Hons.) Agriculture (Food Technology) (2000): University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan. CGPA 3.54/4 (73.99%) 1st Division
PUBLICATIONS IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS:
1. Zahoor, T., S.U. Rahman and U. Farooq. Viability of Lactobacillus bulgaricus as yoghurt culture under different preservation methods. Int. J. Agri. & Bio. 1560-8530/5-1-46-48, 2003. (Impact factor 0.758)
2. Zahoor, T., F. Siddique and U. Farooq. Isolation and characterization of vinegar culture from indigenous sources. British Food Journal. 108(6):429-39, 2006. (Impact factor 0.973)
3. Ahmed, A., F. M. Anjum, M. A. Randhawa, U. Farooq, S. Akhtar and M. T. Sultan. Bioavailability of calcium, iron and zinc fortified whole wheat flour chapatti. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 63:7-13, 2008. (Impact Factor 2.276)
4. Randhawa, M. A., F. M. Anjum, M. S. Randhawa, A. Ahmed, U. Farooq, M. Abrar and M. Ashraf Randhawa. Dissipation of Deltamethrin on supervised vegetables and removal of its residue by household processing. J. Chem. Soc. Pak., 30(2):227-31, 2008. (Impact Factor 0.28)
5. Ahmed, A., F. M. Anjum, M. A. Randhawa, U. Farooq, S. Akhtar and M. T. Sultan. Effect of multiple fortification on the bioavailability of minerals in wheat meal bread. J. Food Sci. Tech., 49(6):737–744, 2012. (Impact Factor 1.241)
6. Farooq, U., F. M. Anjum, T. Zahoor, S. U. Rahman, M. A. Randhawa, A. Ahmed and K. Akram. Optimization of lactic acid production from cheap raw material: sugarcane molasses. Pak. J. Bot., 44(1):333-38, 2012. (Impact Factor 0.658)
7. Akhtar, S., M. Riaz, T. Ismail1 and U. Farooq. Microbiological safety of street vended fresh fruit juices, drinks and conventional blends in Multan-Pakistan. Pak. J. Agri. Sci., 50(2):255-260, 2013. (Impact Factor 0.597)
8. Farooq, U., F.M. Anjum, T. Zahoor, S.U. Rahman, Z. Hayat, K. Akram and E. Ashraf. Citric acid production from sugarcane molasses by aspergillus niger. Int. J. Agric. Appl. Sci., 5(1):08-16, 2013. (HEC Approved)
9. Ashraf, E., F. Shah, M. Luqman, S. Ullah, M. Younis, I. Aziz and U. Farooq. Use of untreated wastewater for vegetable farming: a threat to food safety. Int. J. Agric. Appl. Sci., 5(1):27-33, 2013. (HEC Approved)
10. Ahmad, Z., M. S. Butt, A. Ahmed, M. Riaz, S. M. Sabir, U. Farooq and F. U. Rehman. Effect of Aspergillus niger xylanase on dough characteristics and bread quality attributes. J. Food Sci. Tech., 2012. DOI 10.1007/s13197-012-0734-8. (Impact Factor 1.241)
11. Shafi, A., U. Farooq, K. Akram, M. Jaskani, F. Siddique and A. Tanveer. Anti-diarrheal Effect of Foods Fermented by Various Strains of Lactobacillus. Compr. Rev. Food Sci. Food Saf., 13(2): 229-239, 2014. (Impact Factor 4.903)
12. Shafi, A., U. Farooq, K. Akram, Z. Hayat and M.A. Murtazaa. Prevention and Control of Diseases by Use of Pro- and Prebiotics (Synbiotics). Food Rev. Int. 30:291-316. 2014. (Impact Factor 1.974)
13. Tasneem, M., F. Siddique, A. Ahmad and U. Farooq. Stabilizers: Indispensable substances in dairy products of high rheology. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr., 7(54):869-79, 2014. (Impact Factor 5.492)
14. Tanveer, A., U. Farooq, K. Akram, Z. Hayat, A. Shafi, H. Nazar and Z. Ahmad. Pomegranate extracts: a natural preventive measure against spoilage and pathogenic microorganisms. Food Rev. Int., 31:1, 29-51, 2015. (Impact Factor 1.974).
15. Hayat Z, Rehman AU, Akram K, Farooq U, Saleem G. Evaluation of a natural methionine source on broiler growth performance. J. Sci. Food Agric., 2015: 2462-2466. (Impact Factor 1.879).
16. Tanveer A, Akram K, Farooq U, Hayat Z and Shafi A. Management of diabetic complications through fruit flavonoids as natural remedy. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 2015. Available online at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2014.1000482 (Impact Factor 5.492).
17. Yaqub S, Farooq U, Shafi A, Akram K, Murtaza MA, Kausar T, Siddique F. 2016. Chemistry and functionality of bioactive compounds present in persimmon. J. Chem. 2016: 1-13. (Impact Factor: 0.996).
18. Asif A, Farooq U, Akram K, Hayat Z, Shafi A, Sarfraz F, Rehman H, Aftab S. Therapeutic potentials of bioactive compounds from mango fruit wastes. Trends Food Sci. Tech. 53:102-112. 2016 (Impact Factor: 5.150).
19. Mehmood T, Hussain S, Farooq U and Akram K. Impact of different farming systems (conventional, integrated and organic) and storage time on physiological characteristics of kinnow mandarin (Citrus nobilis × Citrus deliciosa). Pak. J. Agri. Sci., 53(1):7-15, 2016. (Impact Factor: 1.05)
20. Tanveer A, Farooq U, Akram K, Shafi A, Sarfraz F, Rehman H. Antibacterial potential of pomegranate peel and seed extracts against food borne pathogens. Asian J. Agri. Biol. 4:60-64, 2016. (HEC Approved).
21. Akram K, Shahbaz HM, Kim GR, Farooq U, Kwon JH (2016). Improved extraction and quality characterization of water-soluble polysaccharide from gamma-irradiated Lentinus edodes. J. Food Sci. 82(2):296-303, 2017. (Impact Factor: 1.77).