Research Article of American Journal of Agricultural Research
Effect of Configurations on the Coefficient of Uniformity and Water Distribution Using Single-Nozzle Plastic Sprinkler Heads
Abdelrhman Mohamed Nour Hamed1, Abdelmoneim Elamin Mohamed 2, and Mohmed A. M. Abdalhi 1*
1Department of Agricultural Engineering Faculty of Agricultural technology and Fish sciences, Al-Neelain University, Khartoum, Sudan; 2Department of Agricultural Engineering Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum, Shambat, Sudan
This study was conducted during February and March 2014 in the Demonstration Farm of the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum at Shambat (longitude 32o32’E, latitude 15o40’N and altitude 380 m amsl), on a total area of 40 m x30 m .The objective of the study was to determine the effect of layout configuration under different operating pressures (1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 bar) on the coefficient of uniformity (CU %) and distribution uniformity (DU %). The tested configurations were the square, rectangular and triangular sprinkler patterns by using single- nozzle plastic sprinkler heads (LEGO).For each configuration, a solid-set sprinkler system was designed and installed .Catch cans were placed at centre of grids of 4×4 m. The completely randomized design was used, and treatments were replicated three times. For each treatment the system was run for one hour. The data was analyzed, using Minitab Software Version 16. The triangular configuration recorded the highest uniformity coefficient and uniformity of distribution under 2 bars operating pressure. The mean CU% of value (87%) and DU% of value (80%) at (P≥ 0.05) gave the following descending order: triangular > square > rectangular configuration. All values obtained were within the acceptable range of standards set by Keller and Bliesner 1990. The appropriate operating pressure and sprinkler configuration should be considered when designing and installing a solid-set sprinkler system.
Keywords: Distribution uniformity; Coefficient uniformity; Pressures, Sprinkler; Configuration; Minitab Software.
How to cite this article:
Abdelrhman Mohamed Nour Hamed, Abdelmoneim Elamin Mohamed, and Mohmed A. M. Abdalhi . Effect of Configurations on the Coefficient of Uniformity and Water Distribution Using Single-Nozzle Plastic Sprinkler Heads . American Journal of Agricultural Research, 2019,4:49. DOI: 10.28933/ajar-2018-12-1208
1. Al-araki GY. 2002. Design and Evaluation of Sprinkler Irrigation System. Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis. Department of Agricultural Engineering. Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum, Sudan.
2. Bliesner RD, Hardly, LA, Howell TA, Eisenhauer DE, Burt CM, Clemmens AJ, Strekoff TS, Solomon KH. 1997. “Irrigation performance measures: Efficiency and uniformity” Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 123(6): 423-442.
3. Christiansen JE. 1942. Irrigation by Sprinkler. California Agricultural Experiment Station. Bulletin 670.
4. Kay M. 1983. Sprinkler irrigation: equipment and practice. Bats ford, UK.
5. Keller J, Bliesner RD. 1990. Sprinkle and Trickle Irrigation, Van strand Reinhold, New York.3-5, 86-96.
6. Khalifa ABA. 2012. Comparison of Surface and Drip Irrigation Regimes for Banana (Musa AAA) cv. Grand Nain in Gezira, Sudan. Ph.D thesis, Sudan Academy of Sciences (SAS) Agricultural Research Council, Sudan.
7. Makki EK. 1996. Forage Sorghum (Abu Sabien) Production under Sprinkler Irrigation System. M.Sc. Thesis. Department of Agricultural Engineering. Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum, Sudan.
8. Michael AM. 1978. Irrigation: Theory and Practice. Errst edition. Viskas Publishing House, PVT. Ltd. New Delhi Bombay, Bagalore, Calcutta. Kanpur.
9. Michael AM. 2007. Irrigation: Theory and practice. 2nd ed. Vikas Publishing House Pvt Ltd, Masjid Road, Jangpura, New Delhi- 110014, India, P. 554.
10. Suliman MM, Mohamed EA, Makki KE. 2004. Effect of Different Solid- Set Sprinkler Patterns on Water Distribution and Losses under Shambat Conditions, Sudan. Published M. Sc. thesis. Department of Agricultural Engineering. Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum Sudan.