Research Article of American Journal of Chemical Research
Kinetics of Acidic Mn(VII) Oxidation of Acetaldehyde in Aqueous and 5% Ethanol-Water Solvents
1*Latona Dayo Felix, 2Adejoro Ajibade
1*Department of Chemical Sciences, Osun State University, PMB 4494 Osogbo, Nigeria.
2Department of Chemistry, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
Kinetics of acidic Mn(VII) oxidation of acetaldehyde in aqueous and 5% ethanol-water solvents were studied via pseudo-first order condition at λmax 525nm. The reaction showed a first order dependence with respect to acetaldehyde concentration, [Mn(VII)], fractional order to [H+] and independent on the ionic strength of the solution. Michaelis-Menten plot showed the existence of an intermediate complex and dependence on hydrogen ion is in the form kobs= a + b[H+]. However, oxidation reaction is generally faster in non-aqueous solvent than in aqueous solvent. Product analysis revealed the presence of carboxylic acid and stoichiometric study suggests the consumption of 2 moles of MnO4- by 3 moles of acetaldehyde in both solvents. Thermodynamic parameters of activation were obtained from Arrhenius and Erying’s equations. A plausible associative mechanism in agreement with kinetic and spectroscopic results was proposed.
Keywords: Potassium permanganate, Acetaldehyde(A), Hydrated acetaldehyde(HA), sulphuric acid, potassium nitrate, Ionic strength(I) and activation parameters.
How to cite this article:
Latona Dayo Felix, Adejoro Ajibade. Kinetics of Acidic Mn(VII) Oxidation of Acetaldehyde in Aqueous and 5% Ethanol-Water Solvents. American Journal of Chemical Research, 2018, 2:6. DOI: 10.28933/ajcr-2018-03-1801
1. Sowin T.J, Melder L.M(2004). “Acetaldehyde” in Enzyclopedia of Reagents for Organic Synthesis, J. Wiley & Sons, New-york.
2. Eckert M(2002). “Acetaldehyde” in Ullmann’s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim.
3. Tsukamoto S, Muto T, Nagoya T, Shimamura M, Saito M and Tainaka H(1989). Determination of ethanol, acetaldehyde and acetate in Blood and Urine, Alcohol and Alcoholism 24(2),101-108.
4. Lambert B, He S.M(1988). “DNA and Chromosome damage induced by acetaldehyde in Human Lymphocytes in Vitro”, Annals of the New- york Academy of Sciences, 534: 369-376.
5. Aberle N.S, Burd L, Zhao B.H and Ren J(2004). Acetaldehyde Induced Cardiac Contractile Dysfunction, Alcohol and Alcoholism 39(5), 450-454.
6. Malik S.S, Muthu I.V , Shafi S.S, Mansoor S.S(2015), Kinetics and Mechanism of the Benzimidazolium Fluorochromate oxidation of Indole-2-aldehyde in various Percentages of Alsnnycetic acid and Water Mixtures, Oriental Journal of Chemistry Vol. 31, No 1, 77-83.
7. Pitch Z, Nebessuyi R, Ivasiv V, Pich A, Vynnyska S(2016). Oxidation of Unsaturated Aldehydes by Peracetic acid, Chemistry and Chemical Technology Vol. 10, No 4, 401-410.
8. Jain A.K, Meena A, Kumar D(2014). Kinetics and Mechanism of Oxidation of p-nitrobenzaldehyde by Potassium bromated in Perchloric Acid Medium, Der Pharma Chimica, 6(2), 187-193.
9. Jeyanthi G.F, Kumar G.V, Elango K.P(2002). The Effect of Solvents on the Oxidation of Benzaldehydes by Quinolinium Chlorochromate in Aqueous Organic Solvent Media, J. Serb. Chem.Soc. 67(12), 803-808.
10. Barker I.R.I, Dahm R.H(1970). Kinetics and Mechanism of the Oxidation of Aromatic Aldehydes with Bromine, Journal of the Chemical Society B. Physical Organic, issue 0, 650-653.
11. Renganathan R, Maruthamuthu P(1986). Kinetics and Mechanism of Oxidation of Aromatic Aldehydes by Peroxomonosulphate, Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkins Transaction 2, Issue 2, 285-289.
12. Benerji K.K(1987). Kinetics and Mechanism of the oxidation of Aliphatic Aldehydes by Sodium n-bromoarylsulphonamide in Acid Solution, Tetrahedron, Vol. 43, Issue 24, 5949-5954.
13. Asghar B.H, Mansoor S.S, Hussain A.M, Malik V.S, Aswin K, Sudhan S.P.N(2017). Oxidation of Aliphatic Aldehydes by Benzimidazolium fluorochromate in Non-Aqueous Medium- A Kinetic and Mechanism Study, Arabian Journal of Chemistry, Vol.10, Supplement 2, 52115-52123.
14. Vasilyev R.F, Emanuel N.M(1956). Kinetics of the Oxidation of Acetaldehyde by Peroxyacetic acid, Bulletin of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Vol. 5, Issue 4, 375-383.
15. Bawn C.E.H, William J.B(1951). The Oxidation of Acetaldehyde in Acetic Acid Solution, Trans. Faraday Soc., Vol. 47, 735-741.
16. Topalian Z, Stefanov B.I, Granqvist C.G and Osterlund L(2013). Adsorption and Photo-Oxidation of Acetaldehyde on TiO2 and Sulphate Modified TiO2, Journal of Catalysis 307, 265-274.
17. Lambert J and Muir T.A(1965). Practical Chemistry for Advanced Level, Second Edition, Heinemann, 135-136.