Research Article of American Journal of Financial Management
The Impact of Internal Control on the Profitability of Microfinance Institutions in Senegal
Duke D Obonyo
Huanzhong Normal University
This study sought to establish the relationship between internal control and profitability of the Microfinance Institutions in Senegal. The study utilizes a survey design to sample 118 MFI’s to address three objectives namely: To establish the influence of internal control on Earnings Per Share, (EPS) of MFI’s, To establish the influence of internal control on Return On Assets (ROA), The influence of internal control on return on Equity (ROE), and finally, the influence of internal control on profit margin of MFI’s. The study utilized multiple regression analysis to analyses quantitative data collected from the MFI’s and the hypothesis was tested at 95% confidence interval. The study found out that all dimensions of internal control were positively and significantly associated to the four indices of profitability of MFI’s in Senegal. The study recommends that the government of Senegal issues a rational policy framework to ensure all MFIS comply with the provisions of the Senegalese Central Bank on internal controls systems of all financial institutions in the country.
Keywords: Earnings per Share, Return on Assets, Profit Margin, Return on Equity, Internal Control
How to cite this article:
Duke D Obonyo.The Impact of Internal Control on the Profitability of Microfinance Institutions in Senegal. American Journal of Financial Management, 2018,1:5
1. ALI, S. I. (2017). THE EFFECT OF INTERNAL AUDIT ON FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE OF MICROFINANCE INSTITUTIONS IN KENYA.
2. Amudo, A., & Inanga, E. L. (2009). Evaluation of internal control systems: A case study from Uganda. International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, 27(1), 124-144.
3. Beasley, M., Chen, A., Nunez, K., & Wright, L. (2006). Working hand in hand: Balanced scorecards and enterprise risk management. Strategic finance, 87(9), 49.
4. Beneish, M. D., Billings, M. B., & Hodder, L. D. (2008). Internal control weaknesses and information uncertainty. The accounting review, 83(3), 665-703.
5. Berona, D. (2005). Tilting at windmills: A novel of Cervantes and the errant knight: BOWKER MAGAZINE GROUP CAHNERS MAGAZINE DIVISION 249 W 17TH ST, NEW YORK, NY 10011 USA.
6. Blanchard, R., & Galloway, R. J. I. J. o. S. I. M. (1994). Quality in retail banking. 5(4), 5-23.
7. Bostan, I., & Grosu, V. (2010). The Role of Internal Audit in Optimization of Corporate Governance at the Groups of Companies. Theoretical & Applied Economics, 17(2).
8. Cescon, F., Costantini, A., & Rossi, G. (2013). The influence of business strategy and ownership on management accounting innovations and risk management techniques: An empirical analysis in large manufacturing companies in Italy. Udine, Italy: University of Udine, Department of Economics and Statistics.
9. Cohen, A., & Sayag, G. (2010). The effectiveness of internal auditing: an empirical examination of its determinants in Israeli organisations. Australian Accounting Review, 20(3), 296-307.
10. Demiroglu, C., & James, C. (2011). The use of bank lines of credit in corporate liquidity management: A review of empirical evidence. Journal of Banking & Finance, 35(4), 775-782.
11. Gjerdrum, D., & Peter, M. (2011). The new international standard on the practice of risk management–A comparison of ISO 31000: 2009 and the COSO ERM framework. Risk management, 31(2), 8-13.
12. Hitt, M. A., Hoskisson, R. E., Johnson, R. A., & Moesel, D. D. J. A. o. m. j. (1996). The market for corporate control and firm innovation. 39(5), 1084-1119.
13. Indjejikian, R. J., Matějka, M., Merchant, K. A., & Van der Stede, W. A. J. T. A. R. (2014). Earnings targets and annual bonus incentives. 89(4), 1227-1258.
14. Janvrin, D. J., Payne, E. A., Byrnes, P., Schneider, G. P., & Curtis, M. B. (2012). The updated COSO Internal Control—Integrated Framework: Recommendations and opportunities for future research. Journal of Information Systems, 26(2), 189-213.
15. Kieso, D. E., Weygandt, J. J., & Warfield, T. D. (2010). Intermediate accounting: IFRS edition (Vol. 2): John Wiley & Sons.
16. Laudon, K. C., & Laudon, J. P. (2011). Essentials of management information systems: Pearson Upper Saddle River.
17. McPeak, D., Pincus, K. V., & Sundem, G. L. J. I. i. A. E. (2012). The international accounting education standards board: influencing global accounting education. 27(3), 743-750.
18. Nuryanto, M., & Afiah, N. N. J. W. R. o. B. R. (2013). The impact of apparatus competence, information technology utilization and internal control on financial statement quality (study on local government of Jakarta province-Indonesia). 3(4), 157-171.
19. Odhiambo, N. M. (2009). Interest rate reforms, financial deepening and economic growth in Kenya: an empirical investigation. The Journal of Developing Areas, 295-313.
20. Pany, K. J., & Whittington, O. R. (2001). Research implications of the Auditing Standard Board’s current agenda. Accounting Horizons, 15(4), 401-411.
21. Phillips, R., Freeman, R. E., & Wicks, A. C. (2003). What stakeholder theory is not. Business ethics quarterly, 13(4), 479-502.
22. Raghunandan, K., & Rama, D. V. J. I. A. (1994). Management reports after COSO. 51(4), 54-60.
23. Saraph, J. V., Benson, P. G., & Schroeder, R. G. J. D. s. (1989). An instrument for measuring the critical factors of quality management. 20(4), 810-829.
24. Sodan, U. D. H., & Hadank, B. Zur demokratischen Legitimation des Gemeinsamen Bundesausschusses.
25. Van Ryn, M., & Heaney, C. A. (1992). What’s the use of theory? Health Education Quarterly, 19(3), 315-330.
26. Vijayakumar, A., & Nagaraja, N. (2012). Internal Control Systems: Effectiveness of Internal Audit in Risk Management at Public Sector Enterprises. BVIMR Management Edge, 5(1).
27. Wong, S. J. W. B., Washington, DC. (2012). What have been the impacts of World Bank Community-Driven Development Programs? CDD impact evaluation review and operational and research implications.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.