Research Article of American Journal of Genetics
Patulin Induced Dominant Lethal Gene in Mature Male and/or Female Rats
Fawzyea abdelhady zaied1; Mohamed Abd Elsalam Rashed2; Sabha Elsayed Elballat1*and Hassanat Elsayed Ali1
1Zoology Department, Faculty of Science, Zagazig University, Zagazig, Egypt.
2Genetic Department, Faculty of Agriculture , Ain Shames Univeristy, Cairo, Egypt.
Many fungi including Penicillium and Aspergillus species produces patulin in the contaminated foods. Patulin is a heterocyclic unsaturated lactone that reacts with SH group of biological molecules causing harmful effects in human and animal tissues. Hence, the present investigation was designed to evaluate the possible teratogenic effect of patulin (0.002mg/kg b. wt) which was examined through the induction of dominant lethal gene and the alteration in number of live births in the female rats . Results and Conclusion: patulin is a dangerous teratogen in rats. This was confirmed by the significant increase in the percentage of maternal and embryo toxicities.
Keywords: Patulin, Pregnant rats; Dominant lethal gene ; Mycotoxins; Fetal resorption ;Defective embryo; Teratogenicity .
How to cite this article:
Fawzyea abdelhady zaied; Mohamed Abd Elsalam Rashed; Sabha Elsayed Elballat and Hassanat Elsayed Ali. Patulin Induced Dominant Lethal Gene in Mature Male and/or Female Rats. American Journal of Genetics, 2019, 2:6. DOI: 10.28933/ajg-2019-06-1105
1. Ernest, E.; Smith, Eustace, A. Duffus and Michele H. (1993): Effects of Patulin on Postimplantation Rat Embryos. Arch. Environ. Contain. Toxicol., 25(1): 267-270.
2. Katarina, Z. ; Peter, P. ; Marcela, C. ( 2016 ) : Patulin a contaminant of food and feed. Acta. Fytotechn Zootech., 19 (2) : 64 -67.
3. Xiangfeng, Z.; Qiya, Y.; Hongyin, Z.; Jing, C.; Xiaoyun, Z. and Maurice, T. (2016): The Possible Mechanisms Involved in Degradation of Patulin by Pichia caribbica. J. Agric. Food Chem., 51: 6086–6090.
4. Saurabh, P. ; Neha, S. and Kauser, M. ( 2017) : Toxicological effects of patulin mycotoxin on mammalian system. Toxicol Res. 6 ( 6 ) : 764 – 771.
5. Hayes, A.W. and Hood, R.D. (1975): Effect of prenatal exposure to mycotoxins. J. Toxicol., 5 (209).
6. Selmanoglu, G. and Kocoaya, E.A. (2004): Investigation of the effects of patulin on thyroid, testis and hormone levels in growing male rats. J. Food Chem Toxicol. 64 (1): 59-68.
7. McKinley, E.R.; Carlton, W.W. and Boon, G.D. (1982): Patulin mycotoxicosis in the rat: Toxicology, pathology and clinical pathology. Food and Chemi. Toxicol., 20 (3): 289–300.
8. Ehling, U.; Machemer, L.; Buselmaier, W.; Dycka, J.; Frohberg, H.; Kratoch, V.; Lorke, D.; Muller, D.; Peh, J.; Rohrborn, G.; Roll, R and Wiemann, H. (1978): Standard protocol for the dominan lethal test on male mice. Setup by the work group dominan lethal mutation of adhoc committee chemogenetics. Arch. Toxical, 39(2): 173-186.
9. Selmanoglu, G. (2000): Evaluation of the reproductive toxicity of patulin in growing male rats. Food and Chem. Toxicol., 44(12): 2019-2024.
10. Selmanoglu, G. (2006): Evaluation of the reproductive toxicity of patulin in growing male rats. Food. and Chemi. Toxicol., 44(12): 2019-2024.
11. Tiemann, U and Vanselow, J. (2003): Effect of the mycotoxin and beta zearalenol on regulation of progesterone synthesis in cultured granulose cells from procine ovaries. Repro. Toxicol., 17 (6): 673-681.
12. Dailey, R.; Brouwer, E.; Blaschka, A.; Reynaldo, E.; Green, S.; Monlux, W. and Ruggles, D. (1977): Intermediate-duration toxicity study of patulin in rats. J. Toxicol. Environ Health., 2(3): 713-25.
13. Osswald, H.; Frank, K.; Komitowski, and Winter, H. (1976): Long-term testing of patulin administered orally to sprague-dawley rats and swiss mice. Food and Cosmetics Toxicol., 16(3): 243–247.
14. Morales, H.; Marin, S.; Ramas and Sandis, V. (2010): Influence of post harvest technologies applied during cold storage of apples in penicillum exponsum growth and patulin accumulation. a review. Food. Contr., 21(2): 953-962.
15. Yong, C.; Huai, M.; Xiao, W.; Man, Y and Shi, P. (2017): Biodegradation mechanism of patulin in Candida guilliermondii. J. Toxin., 60637.
16. Smith, E.; Duffus, E and Small, M. (1993): Effects of patulin on postimplantation rat embryos. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 25(2): 267-70.
17. Puel, O.; Galtier, P. and Oswald, P. (2010): Biosynthesis and toxicological effects of patulin. Toxins., 2(3): 613-631.
18. Biing, H.; Ting, S.; Feng, Y. and Ching, C.(2014): Induction of Oxidative Stress Response by the Mycotoxin Patulin in Mammalian Cells. J. Toxicol. Sci., 141(2): 340-347.
19. Annous, B.; Sapers, G..; Mattrazzo, A. and Riordan, D (2001) Efficacy of washing with a commercial flatbed brush washer, using conventional and experimental washing agents, in reducing populations of Escherichia coli on artificially inoculated apples. J. Food. Prot., 64(2): 159–163.
20. Ritieni, A. (2003): Patulin in Italian commercial apple products. J Agr. Food. Chem., 51(5): 6086-6090.
21. Sugiyanto, J.; Inouye, M and Oda, S. (2015): Teratogenicity of Patulin, a Mycotoxin, in Mice. J. Enviro. Med., 37(1): 43-46.
22. Hassan, A.; Montassser, A and Koratum, K. (2003): Influence of flatoxin and zearalenone on biochemicalass-ay and immune response on cattle naturally infected with brucellosis and experimentally vaccinated Guinea pigs with S19. Egypt. J. Agric. Res., 81 (2): 557- 562.
23. Hibiscus (2016): Supercritical Fluid Extraction Search Engine Infinity Supercritical CO2 Extraction Publications Search Engine – Cannabis. J. Microbiol., 6: 301 – 304.
24. Kumar, M.; Dwivedi, P.; Sharma, A.; Telang, A.; Patil, R. and Singh, N. (2008): Immunotoxicity of ochratoxin and citrinin in Newzealand white rabbits. World. Rabbit Sci., 16(1): 7-12.
25. Schumacher, D.; Metzler, M and Lehmann, L. (2005): Mutagenicity of the mycotoxin patulin in cultured Chinese hamster V79 cells, and its modulation by intracellular glutathione. J. Toxicol., 79(2): 110-121.
26. Roll, (1990): Chemical effects in biological systems J.Environ. Pathol. Toxicol. Oncol., 10(2): 1-7.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.