Review Article of American Journal of History and Culture
THE UNVEILING OF TWO MONUMENTS OF THE LIBERATOR: SIMÓN BOLÍVAR IN NEW YORK CITY (1921), AND SIMÓN BOLÍVAR IN BOLÍVAR, MISSOURI (1948)
Rafael Arreaza Scrocchi
This study explores two important moments in Bolívar’s image and cultural history: first, president Warren G. Harding’s speech during the ceremony of the unveiling of the equestrian statue of the Latin American Liberator, Simón Bolívar, in the city of New York in April 19, 1921, narrating the facts behind the story of the monument created by the American artist, Mrs. Sally James Farnham. Furthermore, this investigation includes original photographs that were taken during the ceremony and that were disseminated by the Addresses Delivered on the Occasion of the Unveiling of the Statue of the Liberator Simón Bolívar Presented to the City of New York by the Government of Venezuela; The American Magazine of Art, and The Colombian Review. Second, this investigation analyzes the unveiling of the statue of the Latin-American Liberator, Simón Bolívar in 1948 in the city of Bolívar in the State of Missouri, including information from the speeches given by the president of the United States of America, Harry Truman, and the Venezuelan president, Rómulo Gallegos. This study also includes a set of eight original photographs that were taken and disseminated during both ceremonies in New York City and in the city of Bolívar in the State of Missouri.
Keywords: President Warren G Harding; Simón Bolívar; Sally James Farnham; Equestrian Monument; Liberator; President Harry Truman; President Rómulo Gallegos; Missouri; City of Bolívar; Venezuela; Statue of Simón Bolívar.
How to cite this article:
Rafael Arreaza Scrocchi.THE UNVEILING OF TWO MONUMENTS OF THE LIBERATOR: SIMÓN BOLÍVAR IN NEW YORK CITY (1921), AND SIMÓN BOLÍVAR IN BOLÍVAR, MISSOURI (1948). American Journal of History and Culture, 2020,3:15.
2. The Liberator Simón Bolívar in New York: Addresses Delivered on the Occasion of the Unveiling of the Statue of the Liberator Simón Bolívar Presented to the City of New York by the Government of Venezuela, Tuesday, April 19, 1921. New York: American Association for International Conciliation Interamerican Division, 1921, p.9.
3. Ibidem, p.17.
4. Ibidem, p.21.
5. Ibidem, p.24.
6. Truman, Harry S, and Rómulo Gallegos. Commemorating the Dedication of the Statue of Simón Bolivar: The Great South American Liberator, Bolivar, Missouri, July 5, 1948. Bolivar, Mo.: Junior Chamber of Commerce, 1948, p.15.
7. Ibidem, p. 17.
8. See: Fuentes, Fernando, Miguel M. Delgado, Rómulo Gallegos, María Félix, Julián Soler, María E. Marqués, Andrés Soler, Rangel A. Soto, and Charles Rooner. Doña Barbara. Mexico: Televisa, 2008.
9. Inter-America. New York, N.Y: Doubleday, Page, & Co, v3, (1919): 263-264.
10. See: https://bhs.bolivarschools.org/