Research Article of American Journal of Public administration
Readiness of the Unioun Parishad for Achieving the Decent Work and Economic Growth Goal of SDGs: A Case Study of Chandanpath Union Parishad, Rangpur Sadar, Rangpur,Bangladesh
Mst.Sultana Pervin1 and Md. Humayun Kobir2
1Deputy Commissioner & District Magistrate, Kurigram, Bangladesh;
2Senior Information Officer, Rangpur, Bangladesh
This After 2015 Sustainable Development Goals or UN Agenda-2030 is now a reality to go with this goals and targets for its all member countries. The purpose of this paper is to account for how lowest tier of our local government that is Union Parishad can help to achieve sustainable development Goals. In this paper my objective is to know whether our Union Parishad is ready to achieve SDGs Goal no 08 that is “Decent Work and Economic Growth” or not. To do this I have chosen a Union Parishd which is “Chandanpath” under Rangpur Sadar, Rangpur. I have collected my information through face to face interview of Public Representatives of Chandanpath UP, Focused Group Discussion with stakeholders and related document analysis. Combination of document analysis and information gained through interviews shows that our local governments are not in ready position to respond to and address today’s development challenges. After studying the different relevant documents we see that in developed countries local government playing a vital role in educating, mobilizing, cultural awareness, reduced prejudices and stereotypes, increased understanding of global inequality, and knowledge of the partner community and country responding to the public to promote decent work and contributing sustainable economic development. Though this practices on ground unequal, but in our country lack of knowledge and competence of public representatives, political unwillingness and insufficient resource are hindering the cooperation from having a larger impact in unemployment situation. This knowledge from study can be used to take further necessary steps from the policy planners and implementers of our country in a new light to achieve real economic growth.
Keywords: Decent Work, Economic Growth, SDGs, Sustainable Economic Growth
How to cite this article:
Mst.Sultana Pervin and Md. Humayun Kobir.Readiness of the Unioun Parishad for Achieving the Decent Work and Economic Growth Goal of SDGs: A Case Study of Chandanpath Union Parishad, Rangpur Sadar, Rangpur,Bangladesh. American Journal of Public administration, 2018,1:4.
1. Bovaird, T., and Loffler E., (2002). Moving from excellence models of local service deliveryto benchmarking “good local governance”. International Review of Administrative Sciences68 pp. 10-23.
2. Braathen, E., and Palmero, A., (2001). Towards Pro-poor Governance? The Case of
Mozambique In: Wilson et al “Poverty Reduction: What Role for the State in Today´s
Globalized Economy?” London: Zed Books.
3. 126.96.36.199. (2018). ..:: Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics ::.. . [online] Available at: http://188.8.131.52:8008/ [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
4. Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD). (2018). Publication | CPD. [online] Available at: https://cpd.org.bd/publication/ [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
5. Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD). (2018). Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD). [online] Available at: https://cpd.org.bd/ [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
6. Dcci-dbi.edu.bd. (2018). Home | DCCI Business Institute (DBI). [online] Available at: http://www.dcci-dbi.edu.bd/ [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
7. ECOSOC, (2014) Development Cooperation Forum Draft Policy Brief. [Online]
8. Available at: http://www.un.org/en/ecosoc/julyhls/pdf14/background_note_gtf_undp.pdf
[Accessed 05 May 2015].
9. Cpd.org.bd. (2018). [online] Available at: https://cpd.org.bd/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/2030-Agenda-for-Sustainable-Development_Implementation-Challenges-for-Bangladesh.pdf [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
10. Division, U. (2018). — SDG Indicators. [online] Unstats.un.org. Available at: https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2016/ [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
11. Sustainabledevelopment.un.org. (2018). Home .:. Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform. [online] Available at: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/ [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
12. Mof.gov.bd. (2018). Finance Division, Ministry of Finance-Government of the People\’s Republic of Bangladesh. [online] Available at: https://mof.gov.bd/ [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
13. Iosrjournals.org. (2018). [online] Available at: http://www.iosrjournals.org/iosr-jhss/papers/Vol.%2023%20Issue3/Version-5/B2303050714.pdf [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
14. Management in Local Governments(2015), Administration in Social Work, 31(2) pp. 49-66, DOI: 10.1300/J147v31n02_04 Riksrevisjonen,
15. Rcmss.com. (2018). [online] Available at http://rcmss.com/2015/ijpamr/march/CHALLENGES%20CONFRONTING%20LOCAL%20GOVERNMENT%20ADMINISTRATION%20IN%20EFFICIENT%20AND%20EFFECTIVE%20SOCIAL%20SERVICE%20DELIVERY.pdf [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
16. Icab.org.bd. (2017). ICAB. [online] Available at: http://www.icab.org.bd/icabweb/webGeneralContent/view/286043 [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
17. Bdnews24.com. (2018). bdnews24.com. [online] Available at: https://bdnews24.com/economy/ [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
18. Bdnews24.com. (2018). World Bank global report forecasts 6.7 percent GDP growth for Bangladesh in 2015-16. [online] Available at: https://bdnews24.com/economy/2016/01/07/world-bank-global-report-forecasts-6.7-percent-gdp-growth-for-bangladesh-in-2015-16 [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
19. Millennium Project, (2006). What they are. [Online] Available at: http://www.unmillenniumproject.org/goals/index.htm [Accessed 19 March 2015].
20. Open Working Group proposal for Sustainable Development Goals(2015) . [Online] Available at:https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/1579SDGs%20Proposal.pdf
21. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), (2014). Recruiting
22. Immigrant Workers. Norway: OECD Publishing.
23. Reilly T, PhD, 2007.
24. Platforma. (2011). Decentralised Development Cooperation – European Perspectives.
[Online]. Available at: http://www.ccre.org/docs/Platforma_European_perspectives_EN.pdf
[Accessed 25 April 2015].
25. Platforma. (2013) Development Effectiveness at the Local and Regional Level: Fostering
Synergies between Local and Regional Governments and the EU in post-Busan Era. [Online]
Available at: http://www.platforma-dev.eu/files/upload/608/development-effectiveness-atthe-
local-and-regional-level.pdf [Accessed 02 May 2015].
26. Thwink.org. (2018). Thwink.org – Finding and Resolving the Root Causes of the Sustainability Problem. [online] Available at: http://thwink.org./ [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
27. Express, T. (2018). The Financial Express. [online] The Financial Express. Available at: https://thefinancialexpress.com.bd/economy [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
28. UNDP. (2018). UNDP – United Nations Development Programme. [online] Available at: http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home.html [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
29. United Cities and Local Governments Capacity and Institution Building Working Group
30. (UCLG), (2013). UCLG Policy Paper on Development Cooperation and Local Government.
31. United Nations Development Group (UNDG), (2014). Delivering the Post-2015 Development
32. Agenda: Opportunities at the National and Local Levels.
33. United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA), (2015). Sustainable
Development Goals. [Online] Available at:https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/topics/sustainabledevelopmentgoals [Accessed 23 March 2015].
34. United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), (2015). Post-2015 Development Agenda
[Online] Available at: http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/mdgoverview/mdg_goals/post-2015-
development-agenda.html [Accessed 23 March 2015].
35. United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, (2011). About Rio+20. [Online]
36. Available at: http://www.uncsd2012.org/about.html [Accessed 23 March 2015]
United Nations (2015) ,Transforming the World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, New York.
37. UNDP. (2013). UNDP in Bangladesh. [online] Available at: http://www.bd.undp.org/ [Accessed 16 Aug. 2013].
38. Un.org. (2018). Home | United Nations. [online] Available at: http://www.un.org/en/index.html [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
39. Un.org. (2018). United Nations Security Council. [online] Available at: http://www.un.org/en/sc/ [Accessed 16 Aug. 2018].
40. VNG, 2015. Local Governments and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). [Online] Available at: http://www.vnginternational.nl/fileadmin/user_upload/2013_nieuwe_website/PDF/news_SDGs_3_march_2015.pdf [Accessed 20 April 2015].