Research article of American Journal of Scientific Research and Essays
Physicochemical Analysis of Hora and spring water bodies in Anderacha Woreda, Sheka Zone, South west Ethiopia
(M.Sc in Inorganic Chemistry) Department of chemistry, Mizan-Tepi University, Tepi campus,
Access to safe water is a worldwide need though, many of the world’s population lack access to adequate and safe water. Contaminated water jeopardizes both the physical and social health of all people. Hence the purpose of the research was to assess the physicochemical analysis of hora/salty unprotected springs and protected springs in Anderacha wereda, sheka zone south west of Ethiopia. Water samples collected were analyzed for physicochemical parameters such as temperature, pH, conductivity, total hardness,Cl-, NO3-,NO2-,CO32-,PO43-,Co,Cd,Cu,Zn,Mn,Fe, Mg,Ca,Cr,Ni and Pb using standard analytical methods, Analysis of official analytical chemist 1990. . The obtained results of each parameter are comparable with the standard values set by WHO and other national guidelines. The values of most physicochemical parameters were found to be within the recommended permissible limits except temperature, Fe,Cu and Mn. These outcomes demonstrate the need to come up with water source protection strategies for the study area.
Keywords: Anderacha, Coliforms, physicochemical, water quality
How to cite this article:
Ahemd Awol.Physicochemical Analysis of Hora and spring water bodies in Anderacha Woreda, Sheka Zone, South west Ethiopia.American Journal of Scientific Research and Essays, 2018 3:8.
1. Abadi G. (2013). Physico-chemical and Microbiological AnalysisOf Potable Surface and Ground Water Samples inDubti, Amibara and Awash-Fentale Woredas ofAfar Region.M. Sc. Thesis, Haramaya University, Haramaya.
2. Desta K.(2009).Physico- Chemical and BacteriologicalQuality Assessment of Drinking Water from Source to Households DistributionPoint in Debrezeit Town, Ethiopia. M.Sc Thesis, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa
3. Davas, H. F. and Day, J. A. (1993).The effect of water quality variable on river and ecosystem. Water Research Commission Report No TT61/63.
4. EPA (1995).Effect of metal in drinking water. Environ. Qual. 19(2) 16-18.
5. Getnet K. (2008).Physico-chemical and Bacteriological Drinking Water Quality Assessment of Bahir Dar town water supply from source to yard connection (NorthWestern Ethiopia).M.Sc Thesis, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa.
6. Gregoriadou, A., Delidou, K., Dermosonoglou, D., Tsoumparis, B., Edipidic, C and Katsuugianpoulos,B. (2001). Heavy metal in drinking in Thessalonniki area. Proceeding of the 7th International Conference ON Environmental Science and Technology, Aristotle University Ermoupolis
7. Hannaa , M., Eweida, A. and Forage, A. (2000). Heavy metals in drinking water and their environmental impact on human health. International Conference on Environmental Hazard Mitigation , Cairo University, Egypt. Pp 542-556.
8. Kassahun B. (2008).Assessment of physico-chemical and Bacteriological Quality of Drinking Water in the Central Rift valley System, Ziway Town Oromia Region, Ethiopia. M.Sc Thesis, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa
9. Kolega.J. and Wooding, N. H. (1979.)Water quality for farm processing. Quality water for home and farm proceedings of the third domestic water quality symposium February 27-March, St. Louis Missouri. ASAE publication
10. Mengstayehu, B. (2007).Assessment of Physico-chemical Microbiological Quality of Rural Drinking Water Supply at the Sources and Selected Communities of Akaki-Kalit Sub-City, Addis Ababa City Administration. M.Sc Thesis, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa.
11. Okonko, I.O., Adejoje, O.D., Ogunnusi, T.A., Fajobi, E. and Shittu, O.B. (2008). Microbiological and physicochemical analysis of different water samples used for domestic purposes in Abeokuta and Ojota, Lagos Nigeria. African Jounal of Biolechnology, 7(5): 617-6721.
12. Temesgen E. (2009).Assessment of physico-chemical and Bacteriological Quality of Drinking Water Supply at Sources and Household in Adama town, Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia.M.Sc Thesis, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa.
13. World Health Organization and United Nation Children’s Fund (2000): Global Water Supply and Sanitation Assessment 2000 Report
14. WHO(2006). Guidelines for drinking water quality.3rd edition. Switzerland: WHO press 33. 71-115.
15. WHO (2008).Guideline for drinking water quality.
16. World Commission on Water (2002).Report of the World Commission on water. International Journal of Water Resources Development
17. Yagoud, A.E.A and Ahmed, T. A. (2009).Microbiological evaluation of the quality of tap water distributed at Khartoum State. Research Journal Microbiology4(10):355-360.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.