Research article of American Journal of Scientific Research and Essays
Experimental study on scouring of coarse sand and fine sand seabed caused by propeller washing in front of solid wharf
College of Ocean Science and Engineering, Shanghai Maritime University, Shanghai 201306, China
This paper presents the results of continuous scouring and intermittent scouring tests on two kinds of seabed soils (d50=0.7mm coarse sand and d50=0.162mm fine sand) induced by propeller washing at the front of the solid wharf. Three propellers with diameters of 70 mm, 130 mm and 150 mm were used for the test. The test results show that under the same test conditions, the maximum scouring depth of the coarse sand seabed is 8.2% to 58% deeper than that of the fine sand seabed under continuous test or intermittent scouring; compared with continuous scouring, intermittent scouring The maximum scouring depth increase caused by the coarse sand seabed is 2% to 4.8%, while it is increased to 5.1% to 37% for the fine sand seabed. The prediction formula of the maximum equilibrium scouring depth on the fine sand seabed caused by the front edge of the solid wharf during the intermittent washing of the propeller is established. This formula is a dimensionless formula, which can be applied to the intermittent scouring of the actual propeller wash.
Keywords: propeller washing; continuous scouring; intermittent scouring; solid wharf; coarse sand; fine sand
How to cite this article:
Shuo Zhang. Experimental study on scouring of coarse sand and fine sand seabed caused by propeller washing in front of solid wharf.American Journal of Scientific Research and Essays, 2018 3:14. DOI:10.28933/ajsre-2018-12-1805
1. Zheng Tianli. Hazards of Ship Propeller and Booster to Harbor Hydraulic Structures and Engineering Measures[J].Marine Transport Engineering, 2001,330 (7): 29 ~ 32.
2. Hamill G. A., Johnston H.T. andStewart D.P. Propeller wash scour nearquay walls[J]. J.Waterway, Port, Coastal,and Ocean Engineering, ASCE, 1999,25(4):170~175.
3. Sumer B.M. and Fredsøe J. The Mechanicsof Scour in the Marine Environment[M]. WorldScientific Publisher, ISBN: 9810249306, 552 pages, 2002.
4. Sumer B.M.,Hatipoglu F. and Fredsøe J. Wave scour around a pile in sand, medium dense, anddense silt[J].Journal of waterway, port, coastal and ocean engineering, 2007, 133 (1): 14~27.
5. Laurens Schokking.Bowthruster-induced Damage[D].Master of Science thesis,Delft University of Technology, 2002.
6. Zang Xiaoyi, Xie Zhikai et al.Experiment discussion on the effect of quay-wall distance on the propeller water flow of ships [C]. Proceedings of the 27th Marine Engineering Symposium,2005.
7. Hamill G.A, Ryan D. and Johnston H.T. Effect of rudder angle on propeller wash velocities ata seabed[J]. Maritime Engineering, 2009, 162: 27~38.
8. XIE Zhi-kai. Experimental study on the effect of the quay-wall distance on the scouring of the bed caused by the propeller flow in the ship [D]. National Taiwan Ocean University, Hohai Engineering, Master’s degree thesis, 2004.7.
9. Teresa Abramowicz-Gerigk. Distribution of flow velocity generated by propellers of twin propeller vessel[J].Scientific Journals,2010, 20(92): 5~12.
10. Shi Yu, Li Junhua, Liu Wenbai, Han Dingjun.Experimental Study of Intermittent Scouring of PropellerWasher Flow on Sandy Sea Bed Front of SolidWharf [J]. Waterway Harbor,2017，38(5):458-463.