Research article of American Journal of Scientific Research and Essays
Analysis of Solvent Effect on Formation Constants and Speciation of Cobalt(II), Copper(II) and Lead(II) Complexes of L-Methionine and Uracil
1Ishola, K.T.*, 2Oladipo, M.A.,3Ajayeoba, T. A. and 1Odedokun, O.A.
1 Department of Chemistry, Federal College of Education,(Special), Oyo,Oyo state,Nigeria.
2 Department of Chemistry, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology,Ogbomoso, Oyo state,Nigeria
3Department of Chemistry, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-ife, Osun State, Nigeria.
The analysis of coordination of chelating agents to metal ions in the formation of complexes under different experimental conditions provide information on the effects of the conditions on the extent of the coordination of the ligands to the metal ions for potential applications in bioinorganic and environmental Inorganic Chemistry. The effect of solvent on the coordination of L-methionine (primary ligand) and uracil (secondary ligand) to Co(II), Cu(II) and Pb(II) ions in the formation of binary and ternary complexes have been potentiometrically investigated in water and 40% (v/v) ethanol- water media at 27 °C and ionic strength of 0.02 mol dm–3was maintained by using NaNO3. The proton-ligand stability constants and formation constants of the binary and ternary systems were established under the experimental conditions. The formation constants of the ternary complexes were numerically compared with the corresponding binary complexes in terms of Δ log K and percentage relative stabilization (%RS). Speciation of the metal ions, binary and ternary complexes as a function of pH in the solutions was investigated by using HYSS program. The ligands were observed to form more stable ternary complexes than binary complexes. The proton-ligand stability constants the ligands and the formation constants of the metal complexes were found to be higher in 40% (v/v) ethanol-water than water. The distribution of the species revealed a decrease in the metal ion concentrations with increase in the concentrations of the binary and ternary as pH increased. The chelating agents interacted strongly with the metal ions and showed different selectivity towards the metals ions. These properties can be exploited in combating metal poisoning, separating the metals and expounding the bioinorganic chemistry of the metal ions and the ligands.
Keywords: Formation constants, Methionine, Solvents, Speciation, Uracil
How to cite this article:
Ishola, K.T., Oladipo, M.A.,Ajayeoba, T. A. and Odedokun, O.A. Analysis of Solvent Effect on Formation Constants and Speciation of Cobalt(II), Copper(II) and Lead(II) Complexes of L-Methionine and Uracil. American Journal of Scientific Research and Essays, 2020 5:30. DOI:10.28933/ajsre-2020-03-2505
1. Abdulbaset, A. Z., F. B. Mazahar, and D. M. Jan-rao (2011). Study of stability constant of biologi-cal active molecules (drug) using potentiometric titration technique.Journal of Chemical, Biological and Physical Sciences, 2, 67-80.
2. Agrawa, Y. K., S. K Menon, and P. C. Parekh (2001). Mixed-ligand stability constant of divalent metal ions with glycine and hydroxine acid.India Journal of Chemistry, 40,1313-1318.
3. Amir, M., S. A. Javed and H. Kumar (2007).Pyrimidine as Antiinflammatory Agent: A Review. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sci-ences, 69, 337-343.
4. Ammar, R. A., R. A. Al-mutiri, and M. A. Abdalla (2010).Equilibrium study of the mixedcomplexes of copper (II) with adenine and amino acids in aqueous solution. Journal of solution chemistry, 39, 727-737.
5. Bakhtiar, R. and E. I. Ochiai (1999). Pharmaco-logical applications of inorganic complexes. Gen. Pharmacol., 32, 525-532
6. Garret, R. H. and C. M. Grishan (1995). Biochem-istry. New York, Sanders.
7. Haider, S. Z., (1994).Introduction to modern inor-ganic chemistry. Frieends International, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
8. Hammud H. H., G. Nemer, W. Sawma, J. Touma and P. Barnabe (2008). Copper-adenine complex, a compound, with multi-biochemical targets and potential anti-cancer effect. ChemBiol Interact, 173, 84-96.
9. Hughes, M. N. (1981). The Inorganic Chemistry of Biological Processes (2nd ed.), John Wiley & Sons: New York.
10. Jeyaprakash, D., S. Paramasivam, E. Thirug-nanasamy, S. Sutha, and R. Saravanan (2014). Complexation Equilibria and Coordination Aspect of Zn(II) Complexes Contain 2 Aminobenzamide and some Bioactive Amino acid Mixed Ligands pH–metric, Spectroscopic and Thermodynamic Studies, Acta Chimica Slovica, 61, 803–812.
11. Karale, B. K. and Gill, C. H. (2002). Synthesis of 3-methyl-4-(chromon-3-yl) me- thylene-1-phenylpyrazolin-5(4H)-ones and their conversion into 2-thio-5-hydroxy-5H-. 1 benzopyrano4, 3-d pyrimidines. Indian Journal of Chemistry, 41, 1957-1962.
12. Sasada, T., Kobayashi, F., Sakai, N. and Kona-kahara, T. (2009). Biological Significance of Ni-trogen Containing heterocyclic. Organic Letters, 11, 2161-2164.
13. Lafemina R. L., Schnieder, C. L, Robins, H. L. Callahan, P. L., Legrow K., Roth E., Schlief, W. A and Emini E. A. (1992). “Requirement of active human immunodeficiency virus type 1 inte-graseenzyme for productive infection of human T-lymphoid cells”, J. Virol., 6, 7414-7419.
14. Awad, A. A., Naggar, H. A., Farghaly, O. A., Mauof, H. A., and Ekshiba, A. A.(2018). Potenti-ometric Determination of Stability Constants of Sulphathiazole and Glycine-Metal Complexes. American Journal of Analytical Chemistry, ,9, 99-112.
15. Siham, A. L. and Reda, A. A. (2012). Mixed-ligand complex formation of Cu(II) with 1,2diphenylethylenediamine as primary ligan and amino acids as secondary ligands.International Journal of Electrochemical Science,7, 7699 – 7711.
16. Bhimrao, C. K., Pragat, M. D. and Balasaheb, R. A. (2010). Mixed-ligand complex Formation of copper (II) with some aminoacids and drug dap-sone. International journal of chemtech re-search,2(2), 1036-1041.
17. Jahangir, M. A., M.R. Ullah and A. Mousume (2018). Determination of stability constant of mixed ligand complexes of Ni(II) and Cu(II) metal ions with Diethylenetriamine (DET) and Ethylene-diamine(en), Glycine (gly), alpha-Alanine (alpha-ala), Phenylalanine (ph-ala). Oxalic acid (ox), Ty-rosine (tyr). Journal of Ultra Scientist of Physical sciences, 30(2):12-19.
18. Liangnian, J. I. and L. E. Xueyi (2002).Stacking interaction in metal complexes with compositions of DNA and heteroaromatic N-base. Chin. Sci. Bull. 47, 1–9.
19. Lisa, M., L. S. Jacqueline, and A. James (2004). Holcombe Immobilized peptides/amino acids on solid supports for metal remediation”, Pure Appl. Chem., 76,777–787.
20. Martel A. E. and R. J. Motekaitis, (1992). Deter-mination and Use of Stability Constants, 2nd ed., Wiley, Germany.
21. Mohamed, M. K. and A. Abeer (2000). Potenti-ometric studies on the formation equilibria of bi-nary and ternary complexes of some metal ions with dipicolinic acid and amino acids. Journal of Chemical and Engineering data, 45, 1108–1111.
22. Moore P. S. and Jones C. J. (1995). Anti-(human immunodeficiency virus) activity of polyoxotung-states and their inhibition of human immunodefi-ciency virus reverse transcriptase. Biochemical Journal, 307, 129-134.
23. Ayse, E., Tuba, S. and Suheyla, P. (2005). Ther-modynamics of binary and ternary complexes of 3-amino-1,2,4-triazole and amino acids with Ni(II) and Co(II). metal ion. Journal of Serbian Chemi-cal Society,70(8):1057–1066
24. Ishola, K.T., M.A. Oladipo, O. A. Odedokun, O. T. Olanipekun (2020). Potentiometric Studies of Stability Constants and Speciation of Binary and Ternary Complexes of Metal (II) Ions with Amino Acids and Thiobarbituric Acid. American Journal of Applied Chemistry. 8, 1,23-30.
25. Nieboer, E. and D. H. S. Richardson (1980).The replacement of the nondescript term ‘heavy met-als’ by a biologically and chemically significant classification of metal ions. Environmental Pollu-tion Series B, Chemical and Physical, 1, 3-26.
26. Pratibha, M., N. Kanoongo and V. Uma (20080. Potentiometric and Thermodynamic studies of p-nitro benzaldehyde and o-amino phenol and its metal complexes. Oriental J. Chem., 24, 303 308.
27. Oladipo, M. A., Ishola, K. T. & Ajayeoba, T. A.(2019). Investigation of Extent of Interaction of Thiobarbituric Acid and Two Selected Amino Ac-ids with Three Divalent Metal Ions in Aqueous-organic Medium at Different Temperatures. Cur-rent Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 36(3), 1-8.
28. Rixe O., W. Ortuzar, M. Alvarez, R. Parker, E. Reed, K. Paull and T. Fojo (1996).Oxaliplatin, tet-raplatin, cisplatin, and carboplatin: spectrum of activity in drug-resistant cell lines and in the cell lines of the National Cancer Institute’s Anticancer Drug Screen panel”, Biochem. Pharmacol., 52, 1855-1865.
29. Sangita, S., D. Dipika, and N. Madhurjya (2010). A study of the formation constants of ternary and quaternary complexes of some bivalent transition metals. Journal of Serbian Chemical Society, 75, 75–82.
30. Serap, K., B. A. Dilek and K. C. Aysen (2014). The Determination of The Stability Constants of Mixed Ligand Comlexes of Creatinine-L-Cysteine and Creatinine-L-Cysteine Hydrochloride With Co(Ii), Cd(Ii), Zn(Ii), Mn(Ii): Using Potentiometric Method”, Turkey Journal of Pharmaceutical Sci-ence, 11, 33-44.
31. Shriver, D. F. and P. W. Atkins (1999). Inorganic chemistry, (3rd ed.), University press, Oxford.
32. Surabhi, S., V. P. Shukla, and V. Krishna (2016). Percentage distribution and structural elucidation of quaternary metal chelates of proline with IMDA and uracil in aqueous medium, Inorganic Chemis-try: An Indian Journal, 11, 058-064.
33. Usama, E., I. M. Kenawy and E. Y. G. Abu (20070. Synthesis, thermal and spectral studies of first-row transition metal complexes with Girard-T reagent-based ligand.Journal of Molecu-lar Structure, 87, 14-23.
34. Verma, S., D. Singh, R. Kumar, B. k. Shukla and V. Krishna (2015). Equilibrium study and Stability constants of mixed Ligand complexes of Biomol-ecules and Amino acids with Metal ions by Po-tentiometric method. Research Journal of Chemi-cal Sciences, 5, 42-48.
35. Atkins PW, Shriver DF. (2010). Inorganic Chem-istry, (5th ed). Oxford; Oxford University Press.
36. Verma, S., Singh, D., Kumar, R., Shukla, B. k. and Krishna, V. (2015). Equilibrium study and Stability constants of mixed Ligand complexes of Biomolecules and Amino acids with Metal ions by Potentiometric method. Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, 5(3), 42-48.
37. Serap, K., Dilek, B. A., and Aysen, K. C.(2014).The Determination of The Stability Con-stants of Mixed Ligand Comlexes of Creatinine-L-Cysteine and Creatinine-L-Cysteine Hydrochloride With Co(Ii), Cd(Ii), Zn(Ii), Mn(Ii):Using Potentiom-etric Method. Turkey Journal of Pharmaceutical Science, 11(1):33-44.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.