Research Article of American Journal of Surgical Research and Reviews
Kyrle’s disease (KD): “An Update with review of literature” A Spongebob Skin pores simulation
Dr. UwaisRiazUlHasan* M.Med, Dr. Khathija Hasan M.Med, Dr. Victor Effiong Obong M.B.B.Ch, MWACS, Dr. Okorie Christian Chima M.B.BCh, FWACS, FMCS, Dr. Abdul Aziz Al Nami M.B.B.S, Dr. Abdullah Abdulmonem AlZarra M.B.B.S, Dr. Hassan A Al Wtayyan M.B.B.S, Dr. Ali Ibrahim AlShaqaqiq M.B.B.S, Dr. Mohammad AbdulMajeed Alghadeer M.B.B.S, Dr. ShehlaRiazUlHasan Phd, Dr. Moath AbdulAziz AlMasoud2 M.D, Dr. Noura Al Dossary1
1Department of General Surgery, Al Omran General Hospital, Al Hassa, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. 2Head of department, 1Hospital Director Al Omran General Hospital.
Kyrle’s disease (KD) is a Chronic skin condition first described by Austrian pathologist Josef Kyrle in 1916. Kyrle referred to this condition as hyperkeratosis follicularis & parafollicularis in cutem penetrans. These diseases are characterized by the phenomenon of transepidermal elimination of denatured dermis an acquired form of perforating dermatosis . It is characterized by keratotic crater plugs that develop in hair follicles penetrating the epidermis and extending into the dermis . This trans epithelial migration and elimination of proteinaceous components is associated with systemic disorders like renal, liver diseases, chronic heart failure and diabetes mellitus. We present two case scenarios of a young Males with multiple chronic papular eruptions along with a review of literature for Kyrle’s disease (KD).
Keywords: Kyrle’s disease (KD), metabolic disease, perforating dermatoses, primary disorder
How to cite this article:
UwaisRiazUlHasan, Khathija Hasan, Victor Effiong Obong, Okorie Christian Chima, Abdul Aziz Al Nami, Abdullah Abdulmonem AlZarra, Hassan A Al Wtayyan, Ali Ibrahim AlShaqaqiq, Mohammad AbdulMajeed Alghadeer, ShehlaRiazUlHasan, Moath AbdulAziz AlMasoud, Noura Al Dossary. Kyrle’s disease (KD): “An Update with review of literature” A Spongebob Skin pores simulation.American Journal of Surgical Research and Reviews, 2021; 4:25. DOI:10.28933/ajsrr-2021-06-0105
1. Acay C, Dogan B, Dogruöz K. Kyrle’s disease a case report. Turkiye Klinikleri J Dermatol 1992;2:83–6.
2. Alyahya GA, Heegard S, Prause JU. Ocular changes of Kyrle’s disease. 20-year follow-up. Acta Ophtalmol Scand 2000; 78: 585-589. PMID: 11037920.
3. Carter VH, Constantine VS. Kyrle’s disease. I. Clinical findings in five cases and review of lit-erature. Arch Dermatol. 1968 Jun. 97(6):624-32. [Medline].
4. Cunningham SR, Walsh M, Matthews R, Fulton R, Burrows D. Kyrle’s disease. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1987;16:117–23.
5. Elisabeth Ch, Schreiner W. Kyrle’s disease and other perforating disorders. In: Dermatology in General Medicine. Eds. Freedberg IM, Eisen AZ, Wolff K, Austen KF, Katz SI, Goldsmith LA. 6th edition. New York: McGraw-Hill Companies; 2003. pp. 537-542.
6. Harman M, Aytekin S, Akdeniz S, Derici M. Kyrle’s disease in diabetes mellitus and chronic renal failure Kasiakou SK, Peppas G, Kapaskelis AM, Falagas ME. Regression of skin lesions of Kyrle’s disease with clindamycin: implications for an infectious component in the etiology of the disease. J Infect 2005;50:412-6.
7. Mommers JM, ter Meulen AC, van Erp PE, vande Kerkhof Pc. Influence of tacalcitol on cell cycle kinetics of human keratinocytes following standardized injury. Skin Pharmacol Appl Skin Physiol 1999; 12(4):174-81.
8. Petrozzi JW, Warthan TL. Kyrle’s disease. Treatment with topically applied tretinoin. Arch Dermatol 1974; 110: 762-765. PMID: 4419046.
9. Shah S, Dave JN, Vora NS, et al. Kyrle’s disease and vitamin D resistant rickets in chronic renal failure Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 1998;64:156.
10. Thomas EA, Pawar B, Thomas A. A prospective study of cutaneous abnormalities in patients with chronic kidney disease. Indian J Nephrol 2012;22:116–20.
11. Weiner J. Kyrle’s disease in Siblings, society transactions. ArchDermatol.1967;95:329–32.
12. WolfTSchreiner Ech. Kyrle ‘s disease and per-forat ing disorders. 5th ed New York: Me Graw Hill Book p 631-6.
13. Rapini RP, Herbert AA, Drucker CR. Acquired perforating dermatosis. Evidence for combined transepidermal elimination of both collagen and elastic fibers. Arch Dermatol 1989; 125(8): 1074– 1078.
14. Faver IR, Daoud MS, Su WP. Acquired reactive perforating collagenosis. Report of six cases and review of the literature. J Am Acad Derma-tol 1994; 30(4): 575– 580.
15. Gambichler T,Birkner L,Stücker M,Othlinghaus N,Altmeyer P,Kreuter A, Up-regulation of transforming growth fac-tor-beta3 and extracellular matrix proteins in acquired re-active perforating collagenosis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2009 March.
16. Fibronectin and the extracellular matrix in the perforating disorders of the skin.
17. Morgan MB, Truitt CA, Taira J, Somach S, Pitha JV, Everett MA Am J Dermatopathol. 1998 Apr; 20(2):147-54.
18. Mehregan AH, Schwartz OD, Livingood CS. Reactive perforating collagenosis. Arch Der-matol. 1967;96:277–282.
19. Morton CA, Henderson IS, Jones MC, Lowe JG. Acquired perforating dermatosis in a British di-alysis population. Br J Dermatol. 1996;135:671–677