Research Article of Global Journal of Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Neural Network Approach to Football Score Prediction
Balogun O. 1, Ogunseye, A. A2
1College of Information and Communication Technology, Bells University of Technology, Otta, Nigeria; 2Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria
Sport betting companies and participants can maximize their profit in the sports betting business if they are able to accurately predict the outcome of football matches. This work seeks to develop such a football match prediction system with Manchester United football club as a case study. The developed system is based on an Artificial Neural Network (ANN) model. Scores from previous matches played by Manchester United were used to train and validate the network. The system has prediction accuracies of 73.72% and 113.5% for goals scored by, and against Manchester United respectively. The performance of the model is reasonably good but it can be improved by training the model with more football scores.
Keywords: ANN, prediction, Football, Betting, Manchester United
How to cite this article:
Balogun O., Ogunseye, A. A.Artificial Neural Network Approach to Football Score Prediction.Global Journal of Artificial Intelligence, 2019; 1:1.
1. Adebayo, R. (2018, July 6). Economics of $2 billion Sports Betting Industry in Nigeria. Retrieved from nairametrics: https://nairametrics.com/2018/07/06/economics-of-sports-betting/
2. AnswersAfrica. (2018). Betting in Nigeria-By the Numbers. Retrieved from AnswersAfrica: https://answersafrica.com/betting-nigeria-numbers.html
3. Blaikie, A. D., David, J. A., Abud, G. J., & Pasteur, R. D. (2011, August 11). NFL & NCAA Football Prediction using Artificial Neural. Retrieved January 31, 2019, from https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/NFL-%26-NCAA-Football-Prediction-using-Artificial-Blaikie-Abud/5207ead80e566abd29bf2c171143fa6473c28b6a
4. Haghighat, M., Rastegari, H., & Nourafza, N. (2013, November). A Review of Data Mining Techniques for Result Prediction in. ACSIJ Advances in Computer Science: an International Journal, 2(5), 7-12. Retrieved January 31, 2019
5. Igiri, C. P., & Okechukwu, E. (2014, December). An Improved Prediction System for Football a Match Result. IOSR Journal of Engineering, 4(12), 12-20. Retrieved January 31, 2019
6. Tümer, A. E., & Koçer, S. (2017, May 30). Prediction of team league’s rankings in volleyball by artificial neural network method. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 17(3), 202-211. Retrieved January 31, 2019, from https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/24748668.2017.1331570
7. Zaveri, N., Zaveri, N., Tiwari, S., Shinde, P., & Teli, L. K. (2018, Febuary). Prediction of Football Match Score and Decision Making Process. International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication, 6(2), 162-165. Retrieved January 31, 2019, from http://www.ijritcc.org/download/browse/Volume_6_Issues/February_18_Volume_6_Issue_2/1520497925_08-03-2018.pdf
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.