Research article of Global journal of Economics and Business Administration
Impact of Intellectual Capital on Firm Performance
Wafa Farrukha and Javaria Qais Joiyaa
Faculty of Management Studies, University of Central Punjab
For the better performance in the business, significance of Intellectual Capital (IC) has got world glance. Current study analysis is primarily based on the investigating the impact of intellectual capital on the overall financial performance and financial efficiency of manufacturing firms in Pakistan. For this purpose, panel data regression analysis has been conducted to check the effect of major explanatory factors like human capital efficiency (HCE), structural capital efficiency (SCE), and capital employed efficiency (CEE) has been considered for the outcome factor. Intellectual capital is considered as major IV with three components of HCE, SCE, CEE while firm performance is considered through Return on the assets (ROA) of the business which is considered as major DV. The outcomes of the study reveal the fact that there exists the significant association between the various components of Intellectual Capital and the firm performance. The study will be very much beneficial for the various policy makers in considering the significance of intellectual capital in evaluating the financial performance of the business. However, among the key limitations, this study is not covering the other sectors like service industry in the same region of Pakistan. Therefore, adding some other sectors from Pakistan will provide some more meaningful results like the service industry to conduct the future research. Future studies can be carried while adding some more predictors like social capital and spiritual capital for the consideration of firm performance. In addition, cross sectional comparison in coming time will provide a comprehensive empirical evidence in present literature as well.
Keywords: Intellectual Capital, Firm Performance, ROA, Pakistan
How to cite this article:
Wafa Farrukha and Javaria Qais Joiyaa. Impact of Intellectual Capital on Firm Performance. Global journal of Economics and Business Administration, 2018, 3: 14.
1. Abeysekera, I. (2010). The influence of board size on intellectual capital disclosure by Kenyan listed firms. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 11(4), 504-518.
2. Alcaniz, L., Gomez, F. B., & Roslender, R. (2011, June). Theoretical perspectives on intellectual capital: A backward look and a proposal for going forward. In Accounting Forum, 35(2), 104-117.
3. Alvi, A. A., & Shahid, U. (2016). Textile Industry Crisis in Pakistan. Bulletin of Business and Economics (BBE), 5(2), 109-115.
4. Amir, E., & Lev, B. (1996). Value-relevance of nonfinancial information: The wireless communications industry. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 22(1-3), 3-30.
5. Barney, J. (1991). Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. Journal of Management, 17(1), 99-120.
6. Baum, J. A., & Silverman, B. S. (2015). Picking winners or building them? Alliance, intellectual, and human capital as selection criteria in venture financing and performance of biotechnology startups (vol 19, pg 411, 2004). Journal of Business Venturing, 30(2), 355-355.
7. Becker, G. S. (1994). Human capital revisited. In Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis with Special Reference to Education (3rd Edition) (pp. 15-28). The University of Chicago Press.
8. Bontis, N., Chua Chong Keow, W., & Richardson, S. (2000). Intellectual capital and business performance in Malaysian industries. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 1(1), 85-100.
9. Bornemann, M. (1999). Potential of value systems according to the VAIC™ method. International Journal of Technology Management, 18(5-8), 463-475.
10. Cadbury, A. (1992). Report of the committee on the financial aspects of corporate governance (Vol. 1). Gee.
11. Chan, K. H. (2009a). Impact of intellectual capital on organisational performance: An empirical study of companies in the Hang Seng Index (Part 1-2). The Learning Organization, 16(1), 4-21.
12. Chan, K. H. (2009b). Impact of intellectual capital on organisational performance: An empirical study of companies in the Hang Seng Index (Part 2). The Learning Organization, 16(1), 22-39.
13. Chang, L., & Birkett, B. (2004). Managing intellectual capital in a professional service firm: exploring the creativity–productivity paradox. Management Accounting Research, 15(1), 7-31.
14. Clarke, M., Seng, D., & Whiting, R. H. (2011). Intellectual capital and firm performance in Australia. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 12(4), 505-530.
15. Coleman, J. S. (1988). Social capital in the creation of human capital. American Journal of Sociology, 94, S95-S120.
16. Council, A. C. (2003). Principles of good corporate governance and best practice recommendations. Australian Stock Exchange Limited.
17. Dwivedi, N., & Jain, A. K. (2005). Corporate governance and performance of Indian firms: The effect of board size and ownership. Employee Responsibilities and Rights Journal, 17(3), 161-172.
18. Dženopoljac, V., Janoševic, S., & Bontis, N. (2016). Intellectual capital and financial performance in the Serbian ICT industry. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 17(2), 373-396.
19. Dzenopoljac, V., Yaacoub, C., Elkanj, N., & Bontis, N. (2017). Impact of intellectual capital on corporate performance: Evidence from the Arab region. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 18(4), 884-903.
20. Edvinsson, L., & Malone, M. S. (1997). Intellectual capital: Realizing your company\’s true value by finding its hidden brainpower.
21. Gavious, I., & Russ, M. (2009). The valuation implications of human capital in transactions on and outside the exchange. Advances in Accounting, 25(2), 165-173.
22. Gillies, D. (2017). Human capital theory in education. Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory, 1-5.
23. Governance, K. C., & Directors, I. o. (2002). King Report on Corporate Governance for South Africa, 2002. South Africa: Institute of Directors in Southern Africa.
24. Heikal, M., Khaddafi, M., & Ummah, A. (2014). Influence analysis of return on assets (ROA), return on equity (ROE), net profit margin (NPM), debt to equity ratio (DER), and current ratio (CR), against corporate profit growth in automotive in Indonesia Stock Exchange. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 4(12), 101.
25. Hillman, A. J., & Dalziel, T. (2003). Boards of directors and firm performance: Integrating agency and resource dependence perspectives. Academy of Management Review, 28(3), 383-396.
26. Hussinki, H., Ritala, P., Vanhala, M., & Kianto, A. (2017). Intellectual capital, knowledge management practices and firm performance. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 18(4), 904-922.
27. Inkinen, H. (2015). Review of empirical research on intellectual capital and firm performance. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 16(3), 518-565.
28. Iqbal, M. S., Shaikh, F. M., Mahmood, B., & Shafiq, K. (2010). Development of textile industrial clusters in Pakistan. Asian Social Science, 6(11), 123.
29. Kalkan, A., Bozkurt, Ö. Ç., & Arman, M. (2014). The impacts of intellectual capital, innovation and organizational strategy on firm performance. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 150, 700-707.
30. Kazmi, S. A., & Takala, J. (2014). An Overview of Pakistan’s Textile Sector from Operational Competitive Perspective—A Suggestive Analysis! World Journal of Engineering and Technology, 2(02), 124.
31. Khan, M. A. (2016). Policy review and recommendations on the promotion of renewable energy and energy efficiency.
32. Kiel, G. C., & Nicholson, G. J. (2003). Board composition and corporate performance: How the Australian experience informs contrasting theories of corporate governance. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 11(3), 189-205.
33. Kim, T., Yoo, J. J.-E., & Lee, G. (2011). The HOINCAP scale: measuring intellectual capital in the hotel industry. The Service Industries Journal, 31(13), 2243-2272.
34. Koryak, O., Mole, K. F., Lockett, A., Hayton, J. C., Ucbasaran, D., & Hodgkinson, G. P. (2015). Entrepreneurial leadership, capabilities and firm growth. International Small Business Journal, 33(1), 89-105.
35. Lado, A. A., & Wilson, C. M. (1994). Human resource systems and sustained competitive advantage: A competency-based perspective. Academy of Management Review, 19(4), 699-727.
36. Laing, G., Dunn, J., & Hughes-Lucas, S. (2010). Applying the VAIC™ model to Australian hotels. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 11(3), 269-283.
37. Machlup, F. (2014). Knowledge: Its creation, distribution and economic significance, Volume III: The economics of information and human capital (Vol. 3). Princeton University Press.
38. Makki, M. A., & Lodhi, S. A. (2008). Impact of intellectual capital efficiency on profitability (a case study of LSE25 companies). The Lahore Journal of Economics, 13(2), 81-98.
39. Makki, M. A., & Lodhi, S. A. (2014). Impact of Corporate Governance on Intellectual Capital Efficiency and Financial Performance. Pakistan Journal of Commerce & Social Sciences, 8(2), 305-330.
40. Makki, M. M., Lodhi, S. A., & Rahman, R. (2009). Intellectual capital performance of Pakistani listed corporate sector. International Journal of Business and Management, 3(10), 45.
41. Matlay, H. (2005). Entrepreneurship education in UK business schools: conceptual, contextual and policy considerations. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 12(4), 627-643.
42. Mincer, J. (1974). Schooling, Experience, and Earnings. Human Behavior & Social Institutions No. 2.
43. Montequín, V. R., Fernández, F. O., Cabal, V. A., & Gutierrez, N. R. (2006). An integrated framework for intellectual capital measurement and knowledge management implementation in small and medium-sized enterprises. Journal of Information Science, 32(6), 525-538.
44. Moore, N. G. (1996). Measuring corporate IQ. Chief Executive-New York, 36-39.
45. Nagaraja, N., & Vinay, N. (2016). The Effect of Intangible Assets on the Firm Value. International Journal of Engineering and Management Research (IJEMR), 6(1), 307-315.
46. Nawaz, T., Haniffa, R., & Hudaib, M. (2014, November). The Impact of Intellectual Capital on Corporate Performance of Islamic Financial Institutions. Academic Conferences International Limited (p. 519). Academic Conferences International Limited.
47. Nazari, J. A., & Herremans, I. M. (2007). Extended VAIC model: measuring intellectual capital components. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 8(4), 595-609.
48. Nicholson, G. J., & Kiel, G. C. (2004). Breakthrough board performance: how to harness your board’s intellectual capital . Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society, 4(1), 5-23.
49. Penrose, E. (1959). The theory of the firm. NY: John Wiley & Sons.
50. Pew Tan, H., Plowman, D., & Hancock, P. (2007). Intellectual capital and financial returns of companies. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 8(1), 76-95.
51. Pulic, A. (2000). VAIC™–an accounting tool for IC management. International Journal of Technology Management, 20(5-8), 702-714.
52. Ramezan, M. (2011). Intellectual capital and organizational organic structure in knowledge society: How are these concepts related? International Journal of Information Management, 31(1), 88-95.
53. Riahi-Belkaoui, A. (2003). Intellectual capital and firm performance of US multinational firms: a study of the resource-based and stakeholder views. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 4(2), 215-226.
54. Selling, T. I., & Stickney, C. P. (1989). The effects of business environment and strategy on a firm’s rate of return on assets. Financial Analysts Journal, 45(1), 43-52.
55. Setyorini, S., Minarsih, M. M., & Haryono, A. T. (2016). Pengaruh Return On Assets (ROA), Return On Equity (ROE), Dan Earning Per Share (EPS) terhadap Harga Saham Perusahaan Real Estate Di Bursa Efek Indonesia (Studi Kasus pada 20 Perusahaan Periode 2011–2015). Journal of Management, 2(2).
56. Shepherd, D. A., Douglas, E. J., & Shanley, M. (2000). New venture survival: Ignorance, external shocks, and risk reduction strategies. Journal of Business Venturing, 15(5-6), 393-410.
57. Siltaoja, M. E. (2014). Revising the corporate social performance model–towards knowledge creation for sustainable development. Business Strategy and the Environment, 23(5), 289-302.
58. Ståhle, P., Ståhle, S., & Aho, S. (2011). Value added intellectual coefficient (VAIC): a critical analysis. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 12(4), 531-551.
59. Stewart, T. (1997). A. 1997. Intellectual Capital: the New Wealth of Organizations. New York: Doubleday Dell Publishing Group.
60. Stewart, T. A. (2002). The wealth of knowledge: Intellectual capital and the twenty-first century organization. Crown Business.
61. Wall, A. (2005). The measurement and management of intellectual capital in the public sector: taking the lead or waiting for direction? Public Management Review, 7(2), 289-303.
62. Wang, Z., Wang, N., & Liang, H. (2014). Knowledge sharing, intellectual capital and firm performance. Management Decision, 52(2), 230-258.
63. Wei Kiong Ting, I., & Hooi Lean, H. (2009). Intellectual capital performance of financial institutions in Malaysia. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 10(4), 588-599.
64. Wernerfelt, B. (1984). A resource‐based view of the firm. Strategic Management Journal, 5(2), 171-180.
65. Xinyu, Z. (2014). The impacts of intellectual capital of China’s public pharmaceutical company on company’s performance. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 6(4), 999-1004.
66. Youndt, M. A., Snell, S. A., Dean, J. W., & Lepak, P. D. (1996). Human resource management, manufacturing strategy, and firm performance. Academy of Management Journal, 39(4), 836-866.