Research Article of Global journal of Economics and Business Administration
Dependence Structure between BRICS Countries and Developed Stock Markets: Evidence Using Wavelet and VMD Copula Approaches
Muhammad Usman, Abdul Haque, Muhammad Ali Jibran Qamar
COMSATS University Islamabad, Lahore Campus
This paper investigates the comovement in stock prices between the three developed countries (the USA, UK and Japan) and BRICS countries. (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) using Wavelet Coherence and Variational Mode Decomposition(VMD) based copula approach for the period 2002-2018. We find that not all BRICS states co-move with developed countries. Brazil moves with the USA, both in long-run and short-run, while China has least interdependence with either of the developed countries, both in long-run and short-run. It is also found that Global Financial Crisis increased the interdependencies between developed and BRICS countries. The results of both the approaches validated each other. These findings are essential for investors to make the optimal portfolios or policymakers to make macroeconomic policies.
Keywords: Co-movements, GFC 2007-08, Contagion effect, BRICS, Wavelet and Coupla
How to cite this article:
Muhammad Usman, Abdul Haque, Muhammad Ali Jibran Qamar. Dependence Structure between BRICS Countries and Developed Stock Markets: Evidence Using Wavelet and VMD Copula Approaches. Global journal of Economics and Business Administration, 2019, 4: 23. (This article has been withdrawn per the request of author. Please do not use it for any purposes).
1. Ahmad, W., Sehgal, S., & Bhanumurthy, N. R. (2013). Eurozone crisis and BRIICKS stock markets: contagion or market interdependence?. Economic Modelling, 33, 209-225.
2. Aguiar-Conraria, L., & Soares, M. J. (2011). Oil and the macroeconomy: using wavelets to analyze old issues. Empirical Economics, 40(3), 645-655.
3. Bekaert, G., & Harvey, C. R. (1995). Time‐varying world market integration. the Journal of Finance, 50(2), 403-444.
4. Bekiros, S. D. (2014). Contagion, decoupling and the spillover effects of the US financial crisis: Evidence from the BRIC markets. International Review of Financial Analysis, 33, 58-69.
5. Bianconi, M., Yoshino, J. A., & De Sousa, M. O. M. (2013). BRIC and the US financial crisis: An empirical investigation of stock and bond markets. Emerging Markets Review, 14, 76-109.
6. Barunik, J., Kočenda, E., & Vácha, L. (2016). Gold, oil, and stocks: Dynamic correlations. International Review of Economics & Finance, 42, 186-201.
7. Bekiros, S. D. (2014). Contagion, decoupling and the spillover effects of the US financial crisis: Evidence from the BRIC markets. International Review of Financial Analysis, 33, 58-69.
8. Chiang, S. M., Chen, H. F., & Lin, C. T. (2013). The spillover effects of the sub-prime mortgage crisis and optimum asset allocation in the BRICV stock markets. Global Finance Journal, 24(1), 30-43.
9. Das, D., Kannadhasan, M., Tiwari, A. K., & Al-Yahyaee, K. H. (2018). Has co-movement dynamics in emerging stock markets changed after global financial crisis? New evidence from wavelet analysis. Applied Economics Letters, 25(20), 1447-1453.
10. Dimitriou, D., Kenourgios, D., & Simos, T. (2013). Global financial crisis and emerging stock market contagion: A multivariate FIAPARCH–DCC approach. International Review of Financial Analysis, 30, 46-56.
11. Grinsted, J.C. Moore, S. Jevrejeva, Application of the cross wavelet transform and wavelet coherence to geophysical time series, Nonlinear Processes Geophys. 11 (5/6) (2004) 561–566.
12. John Wei, K. C., Liu, Y.-J., Yang, C.-C., & Chaung, G.-S. (1995). Volatility and price change spillover effects across the developed and emerging markets. Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 3(1), 113–136.doi:10.1016/0927-538x(94)00029-7
13. Jong, F., & De Roon, F. A. (2005). Time-varying market integration and expected returns in emerging markets. Journal of financial economics, 78(3), 583-613.
14. Kumar, S., Tiwari, A. K., Chauhan, Y., & Ji, Q. (2019). Dependence structure between the BRICS foreign exchange and stock markets using the dependence-switching copula approach. International Review of Financial Analysis, 63, 273-284.
15. Lehkonen, H., & Heimonen, K. (2014). Timescale-dependent stock market comovement: BRICs vs. developed markets. Journal of Empirical Finance, 28, 90-103.
16. Liu, T., Hammoudeh, S., & Thompson, M. A. (2013). A momentum threshold model of stock prices and country risk ratings: Evidence from BRICS countries. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, 27, 99-112.
17. Longin, F., & Solnik, B. (1995). Is the correlation in international equity returns constant: 1960–1990?. Journal of international money and finance, 14(1), 3-26.
18. Mensi, W., Hammoudeh, S., Nguyen, D. K., & Kang, S. H. (2016). Global financial crisis and spillover effects among the US and BRICS stock markets. International Review of Economics & Finance, 42, 257-276.
19. Mensi, W., Shahzad, S. J. H., Hammoudeh, S., Zeitun, R., & Rehman, M. U. (2017). Diversification potential of Asian frontier, BRIC emerging and major developed stock markets: A wavelet-based value at risk approach. Emerging Markets Review, 32, 130-147.
20. Michael P. Dooley and Michael M. Hutchison Transmission of the U.S. Subprime Crisis to Emerging Markets: Evidence on the Decoupling-Recoupling Hypothesis NBER Working Paper No. 15120 June 2009
21. Reboredo, J. C., & Rivera-Castro, M. A. (2013). A wavelet decomposition approach to crude oil price and exchange rate dependence. Economic Modelling, 32, 42-57.
22. Rua, A., & Nunes, L. C. (2009). International comovement of stock market returns: A wavelet analysis. Journal of Empirical Finance, 16(4), 632-639.
23. Shahzad, S. J. H., Nor, S. M., Kumar, R. R., & Mensi, W. (2017). Interdependence and contagion among industry-level US credit markets: An application of wavelet and VMD based copula approaches. Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, 466, 310-324.
24. Syriopoulos, T., Makram, B., & Boubaker, A. (2015). Stock market volatility spillovers and portfolio hedging: BRICS and the financial crisis. International Review of Financial Analysis, 39, 7-18.
25. Torrence, G.P. Compo, A practical guide to wavelet analysis, Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 79 (1) (1998) 61–78.
26. Vacha, L., & Barunik, J. (2012). Comovement of energy commodities revisited: Evidence from wavelet coherence analysis. Energy Economics, 34(1), 241-247.
27. Xu, H., & Hamori, S. (2012). Dynamic linkages of stock prices between the BRICs and the United States: Effects of the 2008–09 financial crisis. Journal of Asian Economics, 23(4), 344-352.
28. Yarovaya, L., & Lau, M. C. K. (2016). Stock market comovements around the Global Financial Crisis: Evidence from the UK, BRICS and MIST markets. Research in International Business and Finance, 37, 605-619.
29. Zhang, B., Li, X., & Yu, H. (2013). Has recent financial crisis changed permanently the correlations between BRICS and developed stock markets?. The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, 26, 725-738.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.