Research article of Global Journal of Energy and Environment
Hybrid Voltage Multiplier for RF Energy Harvesting Circuits
Fredrick Isingo, Prosper Mafole, Abdi T Abdalla
Department of Electronics & Telecommunications Engineering, Collage of Information & Communication Technologies, University of Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Paper describes the design of an improved voltage multiplier for Radio Frequency (RF) energy harvesting circuits using a generic doubler circuit and the Dickson’s charge pump, all these utilize the BAT63-02V Schottky diode. The design is based on using four narrow band antennas operating at 800MHz, 1800MHz 2100MHz and 2400MHz, the designs and simulations are performed by Keysight’s ADS 2019 simulation software, the outputs observed show improved voltage levels that can be used to operate ultra-low powered devices such as sensor nodes and remotes.
Keywords: RF energy harvesting, Schottky Diode, Voltage multipliers.
How to cite this article:
Fredrick Isingo, Prosper Mafole, Abdi T Abdalla. Hybrid Voltage Multiplier for RF Energy Harvesting Circuits. Global Journal of Energy and Environment, 2020,2:14.
1. D. I. Kim, J. J. Park, J. H. Moon, and K. Y. Lee, “Unified Design of Wireless Information and Power Transmission,” pp. 39–59, 2019.
2. Y. Chen, “Energy Harvesters,” in Energy Harvesting Communications, 2018, pp. 19–37.
3. N. Pournoori, M. W. A. Khan, L. Ukkonen, and T. Björninen, “RF Energy Harvesting System Integrating a Passive UHF RFID Tag as a Charge Storage Indicator,” in 2018 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium and USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, APSURSI 2018 – Proceedings, 2018, pp. 685–686.
4. Z. B. Zawawi, Y. Huang, and B. Clerckx, “Multiuser Wirelessly Powered Backscatter Communications: Nonlinearity, Waveform Design, and SINR-Energy Tradeoff,” IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 241–253, 2019.
5. I. Chaour, A. Fakhfakh, and O. Kanoun, “Enhanced passive RF-DC converter circuit efficiency for low RF energy harvesting,” Sensors (Switzerland), 2017.
6. N. A. K. Z. Abidin, N. M. Nayan, M. M. Azizan, and A. Ali, “Analysis of voltage multiplier circuit simulation for rain energy harvesting using circular piezoelectric,” Mech. Syst. Signal Process., vol. 101, no. February, pp. 211–218, 2018.
7. L.-G. Tran, H.-K. Cha, and W.-T. Park, “RF power harvesting: a review on designing methodologies and applications,” Micro Nano Syst. Lett., vol. 5, no. 1, p. 14, 2017.
8. R. Krishnamoothy and K. Umapathy, “For Energy Harvesting Charging Low Power Devices,” 2018 Fourth Int. Conf. Adv. Electr. Electron. Information, Commun. Bio-Informatics, pp. 1–3, 2018.
9. G. Ma, J. Xu, Y. Zeng, and M. R. V. Moghadam, “A Generic Receiver Architecture for MIMO Wireless Power Transfer with Nonlinear Energy Harvesting,” IEEE Signal Process. Lett., vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 312–316, 2019.
10. T. Thakuria, T. Bezboruah, and H. K. Singh, “Design of an Efficient RF Energy Harvesting System at 900 MHz,” in 2018 5th International Conference on Signal Processing and Integrated Networks, SPIN 2018, 2018, pp. 84–87.
11. M. Ur-Rehman, W. Ahmad, M. I. Qureshi, and W. T. Khan, “A highly efficient tri band (GSM1800, WiFi2400 and WiFi5000) rectifier for various radio frequency harvesting applications,” in Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 2017, pp. 2039–2044.
12. T. Tanzawa, “Innovation of Switched-Capacitor Voltage Multiplier: Part 2: Fundamentals of the Charge Pump,” IEEE Solid-State Circuits Mag., vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 83–92, 2016.
13. G. Chong et al., “Ambient RF energy harvesting system: a review on integrated circuit design,” Analog Integr. Circuits Signal Process., vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 515–531, 2018.
14. Y. C. Wong, P. C. Tan, M. M. Ibrahim, A. R. Syafeeza, and N. A. Hamid, “Dickson Charge Pump Rectifier using Ultra-Low Power ( ULP ) Diode for BAN Applications,” J. Telecommun. Electron. Comput. Eng., vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 77–82, 2016.
15. D. Pavone, A. Buonanno, and F. D. Corte, “Design Considerations for Radio Frequency Energy Harvesting Devices,” Prog. Electromagn. Res. B, vol. 45, no. June, pp. 19–35, 2012.
16. Y. Sun, “Practical considerations of impedance matching network design,” Sixth Int. Conf. `HF Radio Syst. Tech., vol. 1994, no. 392, pp. 229–233, 1994.
17. D. Vinko, “Applicability of Dickson Charge Pump in Energy Harvesting Systems : Experimental Validation of Energy Harvesting Charge Pump Model,” pp. 510–518, 2018.
18. T. Tanzawa and T. Tanaka, “A dynamic analysis of the Dickson charge pump circuit,” IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1231–1240, 1997.
19. E. M. Ali, N. Z. Yahaya, N. Perumal, and M. A. Zakariya, “Development of Cockcroft ‐ Walton voltage multiplier for RF energy harvesting applications,” J. Sci. Res. Dev., vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 47–51, 2016.
20. R. Z. and M. Z. W. Xi Sung Loo, Kiat Seng Yeo, Joel Yang, Chee Huei Lee, Advanced Electronic Circuits. InTech, 2017.
21. C. R. Valenta and G. D. Durgin, “Harvesting Wireless Power,” IEEE Microw. Mag., vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 108–120, 2014.
22. K. K. A. Devi, N. Din, C. K. Chakrabarty, and S. Sadasivam, “Design of an RF – DC Conversion Circuit for Energy Harvesting,” pp. 156–161, 2012.
23. S. Fan et al., “A high-efficiency radio frequency rectifier-booster regulator for ambient WLAN energy harvesting applications,” 2018 IEEE MTT-S Int. Wirel. Symp. IWS 2018 – Proc., pp. 1–3, 2018.
24. F. R. G. Cruz et al., “Efficiency comparison of Voltage Multiplier and boost converter topologies for Radio Frequency energy harvesting circuit using HSPICE,” IEEE Reg. 10 Annu. Int. Conf. Proceedings/TENCON, pp. 2142–2146, 2017.
25. Y. Uzun, “A COMPARATIVE STUDY : VOLTAGE MULTIPLIERS FOR RF ENERGY,” vol. 61, no. January, pp. 12–23, 2019.
26. A. NECHIBVUTE, A. CHAWANDA, N. TARUVINGA, and P. LUHANGA, “Radio Frequency Energy Harvesting Sources,” Acta Electrotech. Inform., vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 19–27, 2017.
27. Irena Zivkovic and Klaus Scheffl, “a New Innovative Antenna Concept for Both Narrow Band and Uwb Applications,” Prog. Electromagn. Res., vol. 139, no. April, pp. 121–131, 2013.
28. I. Chaour, A. Fakhfakh, and O. Kanoun, “Enhanced passive RF-DC converter circuit efficiency for low RF energy harvesting,” Sensors (Switzerland), vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 1–14, 2017.
29. T. I, “LMC555 CMOS Timer,” 2006.
30. M. M. Abrar, “Design and Implementation of Astable Multivibrator using 555 Timer,” IOSR J. Electr. Electron. Eng., vol. 12, no. 01, pp. 22–29, 2017.
31. A. Nimo, T. Beckedahl, T. Ostertag, and L. Reindl, “Analysis of Passive RF-DC Power Rectification and Harvesting Wireless RF Energy for Micro-watt Sensors,” AIMS Energy, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 184–200, 2015.
32. J. Liu, K. Xiong, P. Fan, and Z. Zhong, “RF Energy Harvesting Wireless Powered Sensor Networks for Smart Cities,” IEEE Access, 2017.