Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
ART (Anti Retroviral Therapy) Induced Anemia: Case Series
Gundramy Reddy.Sravani1, M.Rameela1, Seetharam babu1, T.S.Durga Prasad2
1Department of Pharmacy Practice, Sri Padmavathi School of Pharmacy, Tiruchanoor, Tirupati;
2 Department of Pharmacy Practice, Sri Padmavathi School of Pharmacy, Tiruchanoor, Tirupati
Anemia is a common finding in patients on Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NRTI’s) among which LAMIVUDINE induced anemia is uncommon whereas ZIDOVUDINE induced anemia is common. This is the first case series related to TLE (TENOFOVIR + LAMIVUDINE + EFAVIRENZ) regimen induced anemia. In case one, two and three Hb levels dropped within one year, 7 months, 6 months respectively. Anemia can be managed by intake of Iron, vitamin B12, Folate and nutritional supplements or with draw of medication based on severity.
Keywords: Anemia, Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NRTI’s), LAMIVUDINE, ZIDOVUDINE.
How to cite this article:
Gundramy Reddy.Sravani, M.Rameel, Seetharam babu, T.S.Durga Prasad. ART (Anti Retroviral Therapy) Induced Anemia: Case Series . International Journal of Case Reports, 2019 4:56.
1. Agarwal D, Chakravarthy J, Chaube L, Rai M, Agrawal NR, Sundar S: High incidence of Zidovudine induced anemia in HIV infected patients in eastern india: Indian Journal of Medical research. 2010; 132: 386-9.
2. Melanie-Anne A, John Yasin A. Rhemtula, Colin N. Menezes and Martin P. Grobusch: Lamivudine- induced red cell aplasia: Journal of Medical Microbiology, 2008; 57: 1032-1035.
3. Zon L, Arikin, C and Groopman J: Hematologic manifestations of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV): Semin Hematology, 1988; 208-219.
4. Hester EK, Peacock JE jr: Profound and unanticipated anemia with Lamivudine-Zidovudine combination therapy in Zidovudine expected patient with HIV infection, AIDS: 1998;5:12(4): 439-40.
5. Weitzel T, Plettenberg A, Albrecht D, Lorenzen T, Stoehr A: Severe anemia as a newly recognized side effect caused by Lamivudine, AIDS: 1999: 12;13 (16), 2309-11.
6. Walker RE, Parker RI, Kovacs JA, Masur H, Lane HC, Carleton S, Kirk Le, Gralnick Hr, Fauci AS: Anemia and erythropoiesis in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) and Kaposi sarcoma treated with Zidovudine, Annals of Internal Medicine: 1998; 108(3): 372-6.
7. Nuesch R, Srasuebkul P, Ananworanich J, Ruxrungtham K, Phanuphak P, Duncombe C: Monitoring toxicity of antiretroviral therapy in resources limited settings: a prospective clinical trial cohort in Thailand: Journal of Antimircobial Chemotherapy: 2006: 58(3): 637-44.
8. Kumarasamy N, Vallabhaneni S, Cecelia AJ, Yepthomi T, Balakrishnan P, Saghayam S, Flanigan TP, Carpenter CC, Solomon S, Mayer KH: Reasons for modification of generic highly active antiretroviral therapeutic regimens among patients in southern india: Journal of Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome: 2006, 1;41(1): 53-8.
9. Forna F, Liechty CA, Solberg P, Asiimwe F, Were W, Mermin J, Behumbiize P, Tong T, Brooks JT, Weidle PJ: Clinical toxicity of highly active antiretroviral therapy in a home based AIDS care programme in rural Uganda: Journal of Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome; 2007: 1;44(4): 456-62.
10. Majluf-Cruz A, Luna-Castaños G, Treviño-Pérez S, Santoscoy M, Nieto-Cisneros L.: Lamivudine induced pure red cell aplasia: American Journal of Hematology: 2000, 65(3): 189-91.
11. Rosalind Parkes-Ratanshi, David Katende, David G Lalloo: Development of severe anemia and changes in Haemoglobin (Hb) in a cohort of HIV infected Ugandan Adults receiving Zidovudine, Stavudine and Tenofovir containing antiretroviral regimens: Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS care: 2015, 14(5): 455-462.
12. Freercks, Robert J, Mehta, Ushma, Stead, David F, Meintjes, Graeme A: Haemolytic anemia associated with efavirenz: An official International AIDS Society Journal, 2006: 20(8); 1212-1213.
13. Morris DJ: Adverse effects and drug interactions of clinical importance with antiviral drugs: Drug Safety: 1994; 10(4): 281-91.