Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Isolated temporal bone’s Paget disease: A case report.
Bouzbouz Anas, Abdulhakeem Bushra, Lekhbal Adil, Laababsi Rabii, Rouadi Sami, Abada Reda, Roubal Mohamed, Mahtar.
Department of Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery, University hospital Ibn Rochd, Casablanca, Morocco.
Paget’s bone disease (PBD) is a benign tumor of osteoclasts. We report a case of an isolated temporal bone’s Paget disease with unusual evolution to a rapidly functional degradation of vestibulocochlear system.
A 60 years old female was admitted for an isolated, left sided mastoid tumefaction without any inflammatory signs. Initial temporal bone computed tomography (CT) showed a left cotton wool appearance without any ossicles lesion or vestibulocochlear extension. Anatomo pathological tests confirmed the diagnosis. The outcome was marked by the occurrence of vestibulocochlear symptoms. Treatment had consisted on subtotal surgery in combination with oral bisphosphonate with improvement of her clinical conditions. The post operative’s follow-up was simple without any abnormalities
PBD of temporal bone is a benign disorder. Imaging is considered the most useful diagnosis modality for revealing the disorder that will be confirmed by histological tests. The treatment is based on medical approaches and surgery has few indications.
Keywords: Paget disease, bone, hearing loss, temporal bone CT, bisphosphonate.
How to cite this article:
Bouzbouz Anas, Abdulhakeem Bushra, Lekhbal Adil, Laababsi Rabii, Rouadi Sami, Abada Reda, Roubal Mohamed, Mahtar.Isolated temporal bone’s Paget disease: A case report.. International Journal of Case Reports, 2019 4:76. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2019-03-2805 (This article has been withdrawn from International Journal of Case Reports. Please do not use it for any purpose)
1. Schmorl G: Ueber Ostitis deformans Paget. Virchows Arch 283:694-751, 1932.
2. Kanis, J.A. (1991a) Radiological features. In: Kanis, J.A. (ed.), Pathophysiology and treatment of Paget’s disease of bone, Carolina Academic Press/Martin Dunitz, 4188.
3. Reddy SV, Kurihara N, Menaa C, et al. Paget’s disease of bone: a disease of the osteoclast. Rev Endocr Metab Disord 2001 ;2(2):195–201.
4. Delmas PD, Meunier PJ. The management of Paget’s disease of the bone. N Engl J Med. 1997; 336:558–66.
5. Smith J, Botet J, Yeh S. Bone sarcomas in Paget’s disease: a study of 85 patients. Radiology 1984 ;152(3) :583–90.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.