Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Patellar tendon rupture in a young adolescent post-Heterotopic Ossification – Uncommon presentation
Sam Supreeth, Ismail Al Habsi, Suwailim Al Ghanami, Zahra Al Abri, Khadija Al Adawi, Shenouda M
Background: Heterotropic ossification is a common entity, but in a young adolescent causing patellar tendon rupture is rare.
Case description: A 13-year-old male presented to us with knee pain and inability to extend since six weeks following trivial trauma. Preliminary radiological investigations revealed a high riding patella with ossification in the patella tendon. The magnetic resonance scan confirmed the same with patellar tendon disruption and heterogenous ossification. He underwent surgery with patella tendon repair, augmentation with autograft and had complete recovery at six months follow-up.
Conclusion: Heterotropic ossification caused by repetitive trauma leading to disastrous effects.
Keywords: Patellar tendon rupture, young adolescent post-Heterotopic Ossification, Uncommon presentation
How to cite this article:
Sam Supreeth, Ismail Al Habsi, Suwailim Al Ghanami, Zahra Al Abri, Khadija Al Adawi, Shenouda M. Patellar tendon rupture in a young adolescent post-Heterotopic Ossification – Uncommon presentation. International Journal of Case Reports, 2020 4:121. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2020-01-1805
1.Balboni TA, Gobezie R, Mamon HJ. Heterotopic ossification: Pathophysiology, clinical features, and the role of radiotherapy for prophylaxis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006;65(5):1289-1299.
2. Al-Zahrawi. Albucasis on surgery and instruments. Berkeley: University of California Press; 1972.
3. Mujtaba B, Taher A, Fiala MJ, Nassar S, Madewell JE, Hanafy AK, et al. Heterotopic ossification: radiological and pathological review. Radiol Oncol. 2019 Sep 24;53(3):275–84.
4. Cakici H, Hapa O, Ozturan K, Guven M, Yucel I. Patellar tendon ossification after partial patellectomy: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports 2010, 4:47
5. Meyers C, Lisiecki J, Miller S, Levin A, Fayad L, Ding C, et al. Heterotopic Ossification: A Comprehensive Review. JBMR Plus. 2019 Apr;3(4):e10172.
6. Zagarella A, Impellizzeri E, Maiolino R, Attolini R, Castoldi MC. Pelvic heterotopic ossification: when CT comes to the aid of MR imaging. Insights Imaging 2013; 4: 595-603.
7. Cocks M, Mohan A, Meyers CA, Ding C, Levi B, McCarthy E, et al. Vascular patterning in human heterotopic ossification. Hum Pathol. May 2017;63:165-70.
8. Vaishya R, Maduka CO, Agarwal AK, Vijay V, Vaish A. Heterotopic Ossification of Tendo Achilles: An Uncommon Clinical Entity. Journal of Orthopaedic Case Reports 2019 Mar-Apr; 9(2): 45-47
9. Ritter MA, Sieber JM. Prophylactic indomethacin for the prevention of heterotopic bone formation following total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Jun 1985(196):217-25.