Review Article of International Journal of Dental Research and Reviews
Pierre Robin syndrome
Mendes M.E.S.¹; Lino M.P.V. ²; Raimundo A.C.M.³; Souza A.E.4; Melo L.V.N.5; Arruda H.S.6
1,2,3,4,5Estudante do Curso de Odontologia – UFPE; 6Orientador
Introduction: A Pierre Robin syndrome occupies an important space in front of the odontological field, especially for its peculiar characteristics determined by a series of anomalies. Objective: The main objective of the study is to present a literary review about the characteristics of the syndrome and its various possibilities of treatment. Methodology: The method used in the preparation of this work was the analysis of articles available in digital platforms, selection of contents related to the theme, obtaining a broader and interdisciplinary view of the syndrome. Results and Discussion: Although there is no specific treatment defined for the syndrome, it is possible through surgical methods or procedures (mandibular distraction, nasopharyngeal intubation, postural treatment, among others) to achieve a significant improvement in the patient’s quality of life when he is treated according to your individual needs. Conclusion: Therefore, in the Pierre Robin sequence, although there is no cure for the pathology, we conclude that with the appropriate treatments is possible to reduce some symptoms, so providing a better quality of life for the patient.
Keywords: Anomalies; Odontological; Syndrome
How to cite this article:
Mendes M.E.S.; Lino M.P.V.; Raimundo A.C.M.; Souza A.E.; Melo L.V.N.; Arruda H.S.Pierre Robin syndrome. International Journal of Dental Research and Reviews, 2018, 1:1
1. Lannelongue R, Menard V. Traite des Affections Congenitales, Paris: Asselin et Houzeau, 1891: 264
2. Robin P. Glossoptosis due to atresia and hypotrophy of the mandible. Am J Dis Chilf 1934; 48:541-7.
3. BRACHEGA, M.I. et alii. Anomalia Pierre Robin – cuidados. Rev. Bras. Enf., Brasília, 38(3/4) : 306-318, jul./ dez. 1985.
4. Evans AK, Rahbar R, Rogers GF, Mulliken JB, Volk MS. Robin sequence: a retrospective review of 115 patients. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2006; 70 (6):973-80.
5. Butow KW, Hoogendijk CF, Zwahlen RA. Pierre Robin sequence: appearances and 25 years of experience with an innovative treatment protocol. J Pediatr Surg. 2009;44(11):2112-8.
6. Persson C, Elander A, Lohmander-Agerskov A, Söderpalm E. Speech Outcomes in Isolated Cleft Palate: Impact of Cleft Extent and Additional Malformations. The Cleft Palate-Craniofac J. 2002; 39(4): 397-408.
7. Souza TV, Marques IL, Carneiro AF, Bettiol H, Freitas JAS. Nasophayngoscopy in Robin sequence: clinical and predictive value. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2003; 40(6):618-23.
8. Freeman M.K., Manners J.M.: Cor Pulmonale and the Pierre Robin anomaly, Anaesthesia 35: 282,1980.
9. Dennison WM.: The Pierre Robin Syndrome, Pe-dMtrics 36: 336, 1965.
10. Goldberg M.H., Eckblom R.H.: The treatment of the Pierre Robin Syndrome, Pediatrics 30: 450, 1962.
11. Schaefer RB, Stadler JÁ, Gosain AK. To distract or not to distract: an algorhythm for airway management in isolated Pierre Robin sequence. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004; 113: 1113-25.
12. Gruen PM, Carranza A, Karmody CS, Bachor E. Anomalies of the ear in the Pierre Robin triad. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2005; 114:605-13.
13. Caoutte-Laberge L, Bayet B, Larocque Y. The Pierre Robin sequence: review of 125 cases and evolution of treatment modalities. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1994; 93: 934-42
14. Meyer AC, Lidsky ME, Sampson DE, Lander TA, Liu M, Sidman JD. Airway interventions in children with Pierre Robin Sequence. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;138(6):782-7.
15. Marques IL, Sousa TV, Carneiro AF, Barbieri MA, Bettiol H, Gutierrez MR. Clinical experience with infants with Robin sequence: a prospective study. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2001; 38: 171-8
16. Douglas B. The treatment of micrognathia with obstruction by a plastic procedure. Plast Reconstr Surg 1964; 1:300- 308
17. Ludwig B, Glasl B, Sader R, Schopf P. Conservative Orthodontic Primary Care of Four Newborn with Pierre-Robin Sequence Triad. J Orofac Orthop 2007; 68: 56-61
18. Abordagem terapêutica na sequência de Pierre Robin. /Kayo Oliveira Cayres. – Salvador, 2012. Xi, 39 f.
19. Marques IL, de Sousa TV, Carneiro AF, Peres SP, Barbieri MA, Bettiol H. Seqüência de Robin – protocolo único de tratamento. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2005;81:14-22.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.