Review Article of International Journal of Dental Research and Reviews
RADIOGRAPHIC ASSESSMENT OF ALVEOLAR BONE GRAFT IN PATIENTS WITH CLEFT LIP AND PALATE: A REVIEW
Sanjeev Datana1, SK Bhandari2, Shiv Shankar Agarwal3, NK Sahoo4
1Associate Professor, Department of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics, Armed forces medical college, Pune, India; 2Professor, Department of Oral & Maxillofcial Surgery, Armed forces medical college, Pune, India; 3Assistant Professor, Department of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics, Armed forces medical college, Pune, India; 4Professor, Department of Oral & Maxillofcial Surgery, Armed forces medical college, Pune, India
The prevalence of cleft lip and palate is 1.09 per thousand in India; secondary alveolar grafting is an integral part of treatment planning for patients with cleft lip and palate. Post operative assessment of the outcome of the grafting procedure is required to be evaluated early as the age for secondary alveolar grafting is limited. Although there are various methods documented in the literature to evaluate the success/failure of graft, commonly employed method is radiographic assessment. Present article summarize the various scales/methods used for assessing the outcome of grafting procedure using different radiographs.
Keywords: Cleft lip & palate, Secondary alveolar grafting, CBCT, IOPA
How to cite this article:
Sanjeev Datana, SK Bhandari, Shiv Shankar Agarwal, NK Sahoo. RADIOGRAPHIC ASSESSMENT OF ALVEOLAR BONE GRAFT IN PATIENTS WITH CLEFT LIP AND PALATE: A REVIEW. International Journal of Dental Research and Reviews, 2020, 3:31
1. Verdi F, Lanzi GL, Cohen SR, Powell R. Use of the Branemark implant in a cleft palate patient. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 1991;28:301–3.
2. Enemark H, Krantz-Simonsen E, Schramm JE. Secondary bone grafting in unilateral cleft lip and palate patients: indications and treatment procedure. Int J Oral Surg 1985;14:2–10.
3. Boyne PJ, Sands NR. Secondary bone grafting of alveolar and palatal clefts. J Oral Surg 1972;30:87–92.
4. Abyholm F, Bergland O, Semb G. Secondary bone grafting of the alveolar clefts. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg 1981;15:127– 40.
5. Kokkinos PP, Ledoux W, Kinnebrew MC, Waeinberg R. Iliac apophyseal cartilage augmentation of the deficient piriform rim and maxilla in cleft grafting. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1997;112:145–53.
6. De Mulder D, Cadenas de Llano-Pérula M, Jacobs R, Verdonck A, Willems G. Three-dimensional radiological evaluation of secondary alveolar bone grafting in cleft lip and palate patients: a systematic review. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2018; 47: 20180047
7. Tan A, Brogan W, McComb H, Henry P. Secondary alveolar bone grafting—five year periodontal and radiographic evaluation in 100 consecutive cases. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 1996;33:513–8.
8. Enemark H, Sindet-Pedersen S, Bundgaard M. Long-term results after secondary alveolar clefts. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1987;15:913–8.
9. Bergland O, Semb G, Abyholm FE. Elimination of the residual alveolar cleft by secondary bone grafting and subsequent orthodontic treatment. Cleft Palate J 1986;23:175–205.
10. Schultze-Mosgau S, Nkenke E, Schlegel AK, Hirschfelder U, Wiltfang J. Analysis of bone resorption after secondary alveolar cleft bone grafts before and after canine eruption in connection with orthodontic gap closure or prosthodontic treatment. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2003;61:1245-8.
11. Sandy J, Williams A, Mildenhall S, Murphy T, Bearn D, Shaw B et al. The Clinical Standards Advisory Group (CSAG) Cleft Lip and Palate Study. Br J Orthod. 1998;25:21–30.
12. Witherow H, Cox S, Jones E, Carr R. A new scale to assess radiographic success of secondary alveolar bone graft. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2002;39:255-60.
13. Kindelan JD, Nashed RR, Bromige MR. Radiographic assessment of secondary autogenous alveolar bone grafting in cleft lip and palate patients. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 1997;34: 195-8.
14. Hynes PJ, Earley MJ. Assessment of secondary alveolar bone grafting using a modification of the Bergland grading system. Br J Plast Surg 2003;56:630–6.
15. Helms JA, Spiedel MT, Denis KL. Effect of timing on long-term clinical success of alveolar bone grafts. Am J Orthod Dentofac Othop 1987;41:289-94.
16. Long R E, Spangler B E, Yow M. Cleft width and secondary alveolar bone graft success. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1995;32:420–7.
17. Nightingale C, Witherow H, Reid F, Edler R. Comparative reproducibility of three methods of radiographic assessment of alveolar bone grafting. Eur J Orthod 2003;25:35-41.
18. Van der Meij AJW, Baart JA, Prahl-Andersen B, Valk J, Kostense PJ, Tuinzing DB. Computed tomography in evaluation of early secondary bone grafting. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1994;23:132-6.
19. Dado DV, Rosenstein SW, Adler ME, Kernahan DA. Long-term assessment of early alveolar bone grafts using three dimensional computer-assisted tomography: a pilot study. Plast Reconstr Surg 1997;99:1840—5.
20. Tai CC, Sutherland IS, McFadden L. Prospective analysis of secondary alveolarbone grafting using computed tomography. J Oral Maxillofac Surg.2000;58:1241–9.
21. Hamada Y, Kondoh T, Noguchi K, Lino M, Isono H, Ishii H et al. Application of limited cone beam computed tomography to clinical assessment of alveolar bone grafting: a preliminary report. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2005;42:128–37.
22. Iino M, Ishii H, Matsushima R, Fukuda M, Hamada Y, Kondon T et al. Comparison of intraoral radiography and computed tomography in evaluation of formation of bone after grafting for repair of residual alveolar defects in patients with cleft lip and palate. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 2005;39:15–21.
23. James K. Mah, Liu Yi, Reyes C. Huang, HyeRan Choo. Advanced applications of cone beam computed tomography in orthodontics. Sem orthod 2011;17:57-71.
24. Rosenstein SW, Long RE, Dado DV, Vinson B, Alder M. Comparison of 2D calculations from periapical and occlusal radiographs versus 3D calculations from CAT scans in determining bone support for cleft–adjacent teeth following yearly alveolar bone grafts. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 1997;34:199–205.