Review Article of International Journal of Dental Research and Reviews
Nasal Assessment among Patients with Cleft Lip and Palate
Ashwina S Banari1, Sanjeev Datana1, SS Agarwal1, SK Bhandari2
1Dept of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
2Dept of Dental surgery & Oral Health Sciences, Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
The cleft lip nasal deformity has been well described in respect to the facial aesthetics and plays an important role in social interactions. Rhinoplasty for patients with CLP is of immense challenge for the basic fact of the complexity in pathology, and also variation of growth potential of individual. The surgical correction for treatment of variation in nose morphology in patients with CLP is Rhinoplasty, which becomes a challenging task, keeping in mind the difficulty in evaluating the outcome. Many methods are available in the literature for nasal assessment evaluation in patients with CLP. However due to the pros and cons of different methods, aesthetic evaluation of the nose among these patients remain problematical. The purpose of this literature review was to overview the different nasal assessment methods in patients with CLP so as to analyse and identify the most objective method for such evaluation in order plan the treatment and to compare the aesthetic results.
Keywords: Nasal Assessment, Cleft Lip and Palate
How to cite this article:
Ashwina S Banari, Sanjeev Datana, SS Agarwal, SK Bhandari. Nasal Assessment among Patients with Cleft Lip and Palate. International Journal of Dental Research and Reviews, 2020, 3:42
1. Thronton JB, Nimer S, Howrd P. The incidence, classification, etiology and embryology of oral clefts. Semin Orthod 1996;2:162-8.
2. Mossey PA, Little J, Munger RG, Dixon MJ, Shaw WC. Cleft lip and palate. Lancet. 2009;374:1773–85.
3. Singh M, Jawadi MH, Arya LS, Fatima. Congenital malformations at birth among live-born infants in Afghanistan, a prospective study. Indian J Pediatr 1982;49(398):331–5.
4. Iregbulem LM. The incidence of cleft lip and pal-ate in Nigeria. Cleft Palate J. 1982;19(3):201–5.
5. Dixon MJ, Marazita ML, Beaty TH, Murray JC. Cleft lip and palate: understanding genetic and environmental influences. Nat Rev Genet. 2011;12:167–78..
6. He Z J, Jian X, Wu X, Gao X, Zhou S, Zhong X. Anthropometric measurement and analysis of the external nasal soft tissue in 119 young Han Chi-nese adults. J Craniofac Surg. 2009;20:1347-51.
7. Van Loon B, Maal TJ, Plooij JM, Ingels KJ, Borstlap W ,Kuijpers-Jagtman M. 3D Stereopho-togrammetric assessment of pre- and postoper-ative volumetric changes in the cleft lip and pal-ate nose. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg.2010;39:534-40.
8. Van der Heijden P, Korsten-Meijer AG, van der Laan BF, Wit HP, Goorhuis-Brouwer SM. Nasal Growth and Maturation Age in Adolescents: A systematic review. Ach Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;134(12):1288–93.
9. Naini FB. Facial aesthetics. Concepts & clinical daignosis. Blackwell Publishing Ltd:Wiley-Blackwell; 2011.
10. Berry J. On sixty-seven cases of congenital cleft palate treated by operation. Br Med J. 1905;2:853–60.
11. Berry J. A further series of eighty-one consecu-tive cases of cleft palate treated by operation. Br Med J. 1911;2:1092–99.
12. Peyton WT. The dimensions and growth of the palate in the normal infant and in the infant with gross maldevelopment of the upper lip and pal-ate. Arch Surg. 1931;22:704–37.
13. Peyton WT. Dimensions and growth of the pal-ate in infants with gross maldevelopment of the upper lip and palate. Am J Dis Child. 1934;47:1265– 68.
14. Peyton WT, Ritchie HP. Quantitative studies on congenital clefts of the lip. Arch Surg. 1936;33:1046–53.
15. Vegter F, Hage JJ. Clinical anthropometry and canons of the face in historical perspective. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000;106:1090–96.
16. Farkas LG, Lindsay WK. Morphology of the adult face following repair of bilateral cleft lip and palate in childhood. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1971;47:25–32.
17. Farkas LG, Lindsay WK. Morphology of the or-bital region in adults following the cleft lip/cleft palate repair in childhood. Am J Phys Anthrop. 1972;37: 65–74.
18. Farkas LG, Lindsay WK. Morphology of the adult face after repair of isolated cleft palate in childhood. Cleft Palate J. 1972;9:132–42.
19. Farkas LG, Hajnis K, Posnick JC. Anthropomet-ric and anthroposcopic findings of the nasal and facial region in cleft patients before and after primary lip and palate repair. Cleft Palate Crani-ofac J. 1993;30:1–12.
20. Russell K, Waldman SD, Lee JM. Video-imaging assessment of nasal morphology in individuals with complete unilateral cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2000;37:542-50.
21. Dusková M, Kristen M, Smahel Z. The anthro-pometric verification of corrective surgery out-come in cleft secondary deformities. J Craniofac Surg. 2006;17(3):447-53.
22. Graber TM. Craniofacial morphology in cleft pal-ate and cleft lip deformities. Surg Gynecol Ob-stet. 1949;88:359–69.
23. Burstone CJ. Integumental contours and exten-sion patterns. Angle Orthod. 1959;29:93–104.
24. Sadowsky C, Aduss H, Pruzansky S. The soft tissue profile in unilateral clefts. Angle Orthod. 1973;43:233–46.
25. Asher-McDade C, Brattstrom V, Dahl E, McWilliam J, Molsted K, Plint DA et al. A six center international study of treatment outcome in patients with clefts of the lip and palate, part 4. Assessment of nasolabial appearance. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1992;29: 409–12.
26. Mars M, Asher-McDade C, Brattstro¨m V, Dahl E, McWilliams J, Molsted K. A six center interna-tional study of treatment outcome in patients with clefts of the lip and palate, part 3. Dental arch relationships. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1992;29:405–8.
27. Molsted K, Asher-McDade C, Brattstro¨m V, Dahl E, Mars M, McWilliams J. A six center in-ternational study of treatment outcome in pa-tients with clefts of the lip and palate, part 2. Craniofacial form and soft tissue profile. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1992;29:398–404.
28. Shaw WC, Asher-McDade C, Brattstro¨m V, Dahl E, McWilliams J, Molsted K. A six center interna-tional study of treatment outcome in patients with clefts of the lip and palate, part 1. Principles and study design. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1992;29:393–7.
29. Shaw WC, Dahl E, Asher-McDade C, Brattstrom V, Mars M, McWilliams J. A six center interna-tional study of treatment outcome in patients with clefts of the lip and palate, part 5. General discussion and conclusions. Cleft Palate Crani-ofac J. 1992;29:413–8.
30. Anastassov Y, Chipkov C. Analysis of nasal and labial deformities in cleft lip, alveolus and palate patients by a new rating scale: preliminary report. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2003;31(5):299-303.
31. Nagy K, Mommaerts MY. Analysis of the cleft-lip nose in submental-vertical view, Part I–reliability of a new measurement instrument. J Craniomaxil-lofac Surg 2007;35:265-77.
32. Becker M, Svensson H, Jacobsson S. Clinical examination compared with morphometry of dig-ital photographs for evaluation of repaired cleft lips. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 1998;32:301-6.
33. Asher-McDade C, Roberts C, Shaw WC, Gallager C. Development of a method for rating nasola-bial appearance in patients with clefts of the lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1991;28:385–90.
34. Mercado AM, Russell KA , Daskalogiannakis J, Hathaway R, Ozawa T, Long E. The Americleft Project: A proposed expanded nasolabial ap-pearance yardstick for 5- to 7-year-old patients with complete unilateral cleft lip and palate (CU-CLP).Cleft Palate Craniofac J.2016;53:30–7.
35. Pigott R, Pigott B. Quantitative measurement of symmetry from photographs following surgery for unilateral cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2009;47: 363-7.
36. Mosmuller D , Mennes LM, Prahl C, Van Couwelaar, Don GW. The development of the cleft aesthetic rating scale: A new rating scale for the assessment of nasolabial appearance in complete unilateral cleft lip and palate patients. Cleft Palate Craniofac J.2017; 54(5), 555–61.
37. Al-Omari I, Millett DT, Ayoub A, Bock M, Ray A, Dunaway D. An appraisal of three methods of rating facial deform ity in patients with repaired complete unilateral cleft lip and palate. Cleft Pal-ate Craniofac J 2003;40:530-7.
38. Al-Omari I, Millett DT, Ayoub AF. Methods of assessment of cleft-related facial deformity: a review. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2005;42:145-56.
39. Bell A, Lo T-WR, Brown D, Bowman AW, Siebert JP, Simmons DR. Three-dimensional assess-ment of facial appearance following surgical re-pair of unilateral cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2014;51:462-71.
40. Bilwatsch S, Kramer M, Haeusler G, Schuster M, Wurm J, Vairaktaris E, et al. Nasolabial sym-metry following Tennison- Randall lip repair: a three-dimensional approach in 10-year old pa-tients with unilateral clefts of lip, alveolus and palate. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2006;34:253-62.
41. Okawachi T, Nozoe E, Nishihara K, Nakamura N. 3-dimensional analyses of outcomes following secondary treatment of unilateral cleft lip nose deformity. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011;69:322-32.
42. Ayoub A, Garrahy A, Millett D, Bowman A, Siebert JP, Miller J. Three-dimensional assess-ment of early surgical outcome in repaired uni-lateral cleft lip and palate: part 1. Nasal changes. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2011;48:571-7.
43. Trotman CA, Faraway JJ, Losken HW, van Aalst J . Functional outcomes of cleft lip surgery. Part II: Quantification of nasolabial movement. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2007;44:607-16.
44. Russell KA, Milne AD, Varma D, Josephson K, Lee JM. Three-dimensional morphologic nasal surface characteristics that predict the extremes of esthetics in patients with repaired cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2011;48:28-37.
45. Devlin MF, Ray A, Raine P, Bowman A, Ayoub AF. Facial symmetry in unilateral cleft lip and palate following alar base augmentation with bone graft: a three-dimensional assessment. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2007;44:391-5.
46. Hajeer MY, Millett DT, Ayoub AF, Siebert JP. Current Products and Practices. J Or-thod.2004; 31(1):62–70.
47. Suri S, Utreja A, Khandelwal N, Mago SK. Crani-ofacial computerized tomography analysis of the midface of patients with repaired complete uni-lateral cleft lip and palate. Am J Orthod Den-tofac Orthop. 2008; 134:418-29.
48. Fisher DM, Lo LJ, Chen YR, Noordhoff MS. Three-dimensional computed tomographic anal-ysis of the primary nasal deformity in 3-month-old infants with complete unilateral cleft lip and palate. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999;103:1826-34.
49. Li J, Shi B, Liu K, Zheng Q. A preliminary study on the hard-soft tissue relationships among un-operated secondary unilateral cleft nose deform-ities. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2012;113:300-7.
50. Morrant DG, Shaw WC. Use of standardized vid-eo recordings to assess cleft surgery outcome. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1996;33:134-42.
51. Bagante I, Akota I. Cleft-related nose defor-mation evaluation and measurement methods. Literature review. Stomatologija.2015,17(3):75-83.