Review Article of International Journal of Dental Research and Reviews
Indication And Use Of Zirconia Crowns On Decidual Teeth
Flávio Augusto de Moraes Palma*; Izabela Lima Góis; Carol Ellen Silva Tavares; Luiza Gabriella Vale Teixeira; Tamires Mirely Reis Silva; Letícia Martim
Federal University of Sergipe, Department of Dentistry, Lagarto, Sergipe.
Objective: The objective of this work is to analyze the use of zirconia crowns in primary teeth, their advantages, evolution and acceptance within pediatric dentistry.
Methods: An integrative review was carried out using the SciELO, PubMed and Google Scholar databases, with the objective of analyzing the use of zirconia crowns in primary teeth, including 13 articles, following the inclusion and exclusion criteria previously determined.
Results: The literature shows that zirconia crowns provide a well-polished surface and less bacterial adhesion, allowing to prevent plaque accumulation and pigmentation, reducing gingival inflammation associated with rehabilitated primary teeth. Zirconia crowns have superior mechanical properties related to other types of ceramics, which gives durability and resistance to fracture and wear, in addition to a natural aesthetic to the rehabilitated tooth.
Conclusion: It is concluded, therefore, that pediatric dentistry has benefited a lot from this restorative revolution that uses the use of zirconia crowns in children.
Key Words: Preformed zirconia crowns. Zirconia. Dental ceramics.
How to cite this article:
Flávio Augusto de Moraes Palma; Izabela Lima Góis; Carol Ellen Silva Tavares; Luiza Gabriella Vale Teixeira; Tamires Mirely Reis Silva; Letícia Martim. Indication And Use Of Zirconia Crowns On Decidual Teeth. International Journal of Dental Research and Reviews, 2021, 4:48. DOI: 10.28933/ijdrr-2021-06-2805
1. Gugnani N, Pandit I, Gupta M, Nagpal J. Esthetic Rehabilitation of Primary Anterior Teeth using Temporization Material: A Novel Approach. International journal of clinical pediatric dentistry. 2017; 10(1): 111.
2. Eshghi A, Kowsari-Isfahan R, Khoroushi M. Evaluation of three restorative techniques for primary anterior teeth with extensive carious lesions: a 1-year clinical study. Journal of Dentistry for Children. 2013; 80(2): 80–87.
3. Shuman I, others. Pediatric Crowns: From Stainless Steel to Zirconia. Dent Econ. 2016; 106: 65–74.
4. Ashima G, Sarabjot KB, Gauba K, Mittal H. Zirconia crowns for rehabilitation of decayed primary incisors: an esthetic alternative. Journal of clinical pediatric dentistry. 2014; 39(1): 18–22.
5. Walia T, Salami A, Bashiri R, Hamoodi O, Rashid F. A randomised controlled trial of three aesthetic full-coronal restorations in primary maxillary teeth. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2014;15(2):113–8.
6. Saha R, Malik P. Paediatric aesthetic dentistry: a review. European Journal of Paediatric Dentistry. 2012; 13(1): 6-12.
7. Salami A. Comparison of Parental Satisfaction with Three Tooth-Colored Full- Coronal Restorations in Primary Maxillary Incisors. The Journal of clinical pediatric dentistry. 2015; 5 (39): 401-406.
8. Waggoner WF. Restoring primary anterior teeth. Pediatric dentistry. 2002; 24(5): 511–516.
9. Kodaira H, Ohno K, Fukase N, Kuroda M, Adachi S, Kikuchi M, et al. Release and systemic accumulation of heavy metals from preformed crowns used in restoration of primary teeth. Journal of oral science. 2013; 55(2): 161–165.
10. Mendes KDS, Silveira RC de CP, Galvão CM. Revisão integrativa: método de pesquisa para a incorporação de evidências na saúde e na enfermagem. Texto & contexto enfermagem. 2008; 17(4): 758–764.
11. Bica C, Pescaru P, Stefanescu A, Docan MO, Martha K, Esian D, et al. Applicability of Zirconia-Prefabricated Crowns in Children with Primary Dentition. Revista de Chimie. 2017; 68(8): 1940-1943.
12. Holsinger DM, Wells MH, Scarbecz M, Donaldson M. Clinical evaluation and parental satisfaction with pediatric zirconia anterior crowns. Pediatric dentistry. 2016;38(3):192–197.
13. Burgess J, Janyavula S, Lawson N, Lucas T, Cakir D. Enamel wear opposing polished and aged zirconia. Operative dentistry. 2014; 39(2): 189–194.
14. Zarone F, Russo S, Sorrentino R. From porcelain-fused-to-metal to zirconia: clinical and experimental considerations. Dental materials. 2011; 27(1): 83–96.
15. Khatri A, others. Esthetic zirconia crown in pedodontics. International Journal of Pedodontic Rehabilitation. 2017; 2(1): 31-33.
16. Bergamo E, da Silva W, Cesar P, Del Bel Cury A. Fracture load and phase transformation of monolithic zirconia crowns submitted to different aging protocols. Operative dentistry. 2016; 41(5): 118–E130.
17. Vulićević Z, Beloica M, Kosanović D, Radović I, Juloski J, Ivanović D. Prosthetics in paediatric dentistry. Balkan Journal of Dental Medicine. 2017; 21(2): 78–82.
18. Camposilvan E, Flamant Q, Anglada M. Surface roughened zirconia: towards hydrothermal stability. Journal of the mechanical behavior of biomedical materials. 2015 ;47: 95–106.
19. Chen Y-W, Moussi J, Drury JL, Wataha JC. Zirconia in biomedical applications. Expert review of medical devices. 2016; 13(10): 945–963.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.