Review Article of International Journal of Dental Research and Reviews
Rapid Prototyping – A Prospective Paradigm A Narrative Review
Department of Prosthodontics, College of Dentistry in Ar Rass, Qassim University, Ar Rass, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Computational modelling signifies the simulation of real life layout in a virtual domain by the transfiguration of physical structures into numerical models, which then is processed into objects. It has restructured the field of Bio – medical engineering in the past 40 years. It has conceptualised the transposition of the visual to the visual-tactile portrayal of anatomical objects leading to a new kind of reciprocity called ‘touch to comprehend’, paving way for educational approaches. This advent of Rapid prototyping has opened new prospects in medical field, especially dentistry with its accuracy and speed. Rapid prototyping is an additive manufacturing technology that produces prototype models by addition of materials in a layer by layer process. With new researches coming to the fore for molding materials and the forming process of RP techniques, this technology has become trendsetter in dental prosthesis fabrication. This article provides a Narrative review of the evolution and its foray into Prosthodontics through the multiple technological options it has panned.
Key Words: Additive Manufacturing, 3D printing, Stereolithography, Rapid Prototyping
How to cite this article:
Naji Alharethi. Rapid Prototyping – A Prospective Paradigm A Narrative Review. International Journal of Dental Research and Reviews, 2021, 4:49. DOI: 10.28933/ijdrr-2021-07-1305
1. Mayo Cohen, A. ‘’Print future of dentistry: 3-D printing’’. Dental Health Magazine. Free Dentistry information and dental News for Patients.26 Jan 2010. Web.3 May 2010
2. J. Winder and R. Bibb, “Medical Rapid Prototyping Technologies: State of the Art and Current Limitations for Application in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Vol. 63, No. 7, 2005, pp. 1006-1015
3. Torabi K, Farjood E, Hamedani S. Rapid prototyping technologies and their applications in prosthodontics, a review of literature. Journal of Dentistry. 2015;16(1):1
4. Andonović V, Vrtanoski G. Growing rapid prototyping as a technology in dental medicine. Mech Eng Sci J. 2010;29(1):31-9
5. Quadri S, Kapoor B, Singh G, Tewari RK. Rapid prototyping: An innovative technique in dentistry. Journal of Oral Research and Review. 2017;9(2):96
6. Wohlers T, Gornet T. History of additive manufacturing. Wohlers Report: Additive Manufacturing and 3D Printing State of the Industry Annual Worldwide Progress Report. 2011
7. Van Noort R. The future of dental devices is digital, Dent Mater. 2012; 28:3-12.
8. Dovbish VM, Zabednov PV, Zlenko MA. Additivnie tehnologii I izdelia iz metala, 57p
9. Hull CW. 1986. Apparatus for production of three-dimensional objects by stereolithography. https://www.lens.org/lens/ patent/ 022-138-245-291-118.
10. Oberoi G, Nitsch S, Edelmayer M, Janjić K, Müller AS, Agis H. 3D Printing-Encompassing the Facets of Dentistry. Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2018 Nov 22;6:172. doi: 10.3389/fbioe.2018.00172. PMID: 30525032; PMCID: PMC6262086.
11. Abduo J, Lyons K, Bennamoun M. Trends in computer-aided manufacturing in prosthodontics: a review of the available streams. Int J Dent. 2014;2014:783948. doi: 10.1155/2014/783948. Epub 2014 Apr 8. PMID: 24817888; PMCID: PMC4000974.
12. Chee Kai Chua, Kah Fai Leong, Chu Sing Lim. Rapid Prototyping: Principles And Applications (3rd Edition) Pg 1- 25 2010
13. Chua, C.K., “Three-dimensional rapid prototyping technologies and key development areas,” Computing and Control Engineering Journal 5(4) (1994): 200–206.
14. Chua, C.K., “Solid modeling- A state-of-the-art report,” Manufacturing Equipment News (September 1987): 33–34.
15. Nayar S, Bhuminathan S, Bhat WM. Rapid prototyping and stereolithography in dentistry. J Pharm Bioall Sci 2015;7, Suppl S1:216-9.
16. Islas M., Noyola M., Martínez R., Pozos A., Garrocho A., 2015: Fundamentals of Stereolithography, an Useful Tool for Diagnosis in Dentistry.- ODOVTOS-Int. J. Dental Sc., 17-2 (May-August): 15-21
17. Hossein Kheirollah, Farid Abbaszadeh .Application of rapid prototyping technology in dentistry. Int. J. Rapid Manufacturing, Vol. 2, Nos. 1/2, 2011
18. Iveta Katreva1, Tsanka Dikova1, Tsvetan Tonchev 3d Printing – An Alternative Of Conventional Crown Fabrication: A Case Report J of IMAB. 2018 Apr-Jun;24(2)
19. Sun YC, Lu ̈PJ, Wang Y: Study on CAD&RP for removable complete denture. Comput Method Programs Biomed 2009; 93:266-272.
20. M. Inokoshi, M. Kanazawa, and S. Minakuchi, “Evaluation of a complete denture trial method applying rapid prototyping,” Dental Materials Journal, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2012
21. Kanazawa M, Inokoshi M, Minakuchi S, Ohbayashi N. Trial of a CAD/CAM system for fabricating complete dentures. Dent Mater J 2011; 30: 93-96
22. Hecht, J., The Laser Guidebook, 2nd edition, McGraw Hill, New York, 1992
23. Oberoi G, Nitsch S, Edelmayer M, Janjic K, Müller AS and Agis H (2018) 3D Printing—Encompassing the Facets of Dentistry. Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol. 6:172
24. Z. Feng, Y. Dong, Y. Zhao et al., “Computer-assisted technique for the design and manufacture of realistic facial prostheses,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 105–109, 2010
25. Y. Bi, S. Wu, Y. Zhao, and S. Bai, “A new method for fabricating orbital prosthesis with a CAD/CAM negative mold,”The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 399–408, 2013
26. 3D printing in Dentistry – Technology Overview and Options. https://instituteofdigitaldentistry.com/3d-printing/3d-printing-in-dentistry-technology-overview/
27. Hezhen Li, Lu Song, Jialin Sun, Jing Ma & Zhijian Shen (2019) Dental ceramic prostheses by stereolithography-based additive manufacturing: potentials and challenges, Advances in Applied Ceramics, 118:1-2,30-36
28. Chang, C.C., Lee, M.Y. & Wang, S.H. Digital denture manufacturing-An integrated technologies of abrasive computer tomography, CNC machining and rapid prototyping. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 31, 41–49 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-005-0181-z
29. M. Salmi, K. S. Paloheimo, J. Tuomi et al., “A digital process for additive manufacturing of occlusal splints: a clinical pilot study,” Journal of the Royal Society, Interface/the Royal Society, vol. 10, no. 84, pp. 1–6, 2013.
30. Dong-Yeon Kim, Il-Do Jeong, Ji-Hwan Kim, Hae-Young Kim, Woong-Chul Kim. Reproducibility of different coping arrangements fabricated by dental micro-stereolithography: Evaluation of marginal and internal gaps in metal copings Journal of Dental sciences (2018)13 220-225
31. Martinez Pellitoro et al. Analysis of Influence factors on part quality in micro SLA technology. Manufacturing Engineering Society International Conference 2017, MESIC 2017, 28-30 June 2017, Vigo (Pontevedra), Spain
32. J.-P. Kruth, B. Vandenbroucke, J. Van Vaerenbergh, Naert. Rapid Manufacturing of Dental Prostheses by means of Selective Laser Sintering/Melting. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Advanced Research in Virtual and Rapid Prototyping, Leiria, Portugal, 28th Sept – 1st Oct 2005.
33. Deckard C, Beaman J. Process and control issues in selective laser sintering. ASME Prod Eng Div PED 1988; 33: 191– 197
34. Bibb R, Eggbeer D, Williams R. Rapid manufacture of removable partial denture frameworks. Rapid Prototyping J 2006; 12: 95-99.
35. Moraru, Edgar & Dontu, Octavian & Alexandru, Petre & Vaireanu, D & Constantinescu, F & Besnea, D. (2020). Some technological particularities on the execution of dental prostheses realized by selective laser deposition. Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials. 20. 208-213.
36. Udroiu, Razvan. (2012). Powder bed additive manufacturing systems and its applications. Academic Journal of Manufacturing Engineering 1583-7904. 10. 122-129.
37. A Nehir Özden and Mohammed Abujalala. “Rapid Prototyping Technologies in Prosthetic Dentistry”. EC Dental Science 14.5 (2017): 217-224
38. Razvan Udroiu Powder Bed Additive Manufacturing Systems And Its Applications Academic Journal Of Manufacturing Engineering, Vol. 10, Issue 4/2012 122- 129
39. Upadhyaya, Viram. (2018). Additive Prototyping in Dentistry- 3D Printing and Selective Laser Sintering. Open Access Journal of Dental Sciences. 3. 10.23880/OAJDS-16000166.
40. Dzhendo Dzhendov, Tsanka Dikova, Application Of Selective Laser Melting In Manufacturing Of Fixed Dental Prostheses J of IMAB. 2016, vol. 22, issue 4
41. Deng K, Chen H, Zhao Y, Zhou Y, Wang Y, Sun Y (2018) Evaluation of adaptation of the polylactic acid pattern of maxillary complete dentures fabricated by fused deposition modelling technology: A pilot study. PLoS ONE 13(8): e0201777
42. Danial Khorsandi., et al. “Fused Deposition Modeling and Stereolithography 3D Bioprinting in Dental Science”. EC Dental Science 18.1 (2019): 110-115.
43. Lee D, Lee SY, Kim H, Park C. A Hybrid Dental Model Concept Utilizing Fused Deposition Modeling and Digital Light Processing 3D Printing. Int J Prosthodont. 2020 Mar/Apr;33(2):229-231. doi: 10.11607/ijp.6534. PMID: 32069349.
44. S. Singamneni, 0. Diegel, B. Huang, I. Gibson, And R. Chowdhury. Curved-Layer Fused Deposition Modelling Journal for New Generation Sciences: Volume 8 Number 2 95- 107
45. Cunico, Marlon. “Investigation of Ceramic Dental Prostheses Based on ZrSiO4-Glass Composites Fabricated by Indirect Additive Manufacturing.” International Journal of Bioprinting [Online], 7.1 (2021): n. pag. Web. 21 Jan. 2021
46. Kim, H., Lee, D., Young Lee, S., Yang, H., Park, S.-W., Lim, H.-P., Park, C. (2019). Denture flask fabrication using fused deposition modeling three-dimensional printing. Journal of Prosthodontic Research. doi:10.1016/j.jpor.2019.07.001
47. Thomas Boland, Tao Xu, Brook Damon and Xiaofeng Cui. Biotechnol. Application of inkjet printing to tissue engineering J. 2006, 1, 910–917.
48. Sachs E, Cima M, Cornie J. 1990. Three-dimensional printing: rapid tooling and prototypes directly from a CAD model. CIRP Annals 39:201–204
49. Meteyer S, Xu X, Perry N, Zhao YF. 2014. Energy and material flow analysis of binder-jetting additive manufacturing processes. Procedia CIRP 15:19–25
50. Cima MJ, Sachs E, Cima LG, Yoo J, Khanuja S, Borland SW., “Computer derived microstructures by 3D printing: bio-and structural materials”, Solid Free form Fabr. Symp. Proc. DTIC Document, Pages 181-190, 1994.
51. Xiong, Y., Chao Q., Jian S., “Fabrication of porous titanium implants by three-dimensional printing and sintering at different temperatures.” Dental materials journal, Vol. 31, Issue 5, Pages 815-820, 2018.
52. Liao W, Xu L, Wangrao K, Du Y, Xiong Q, Yao Y. 2019. Three-dimensional printing with biomaterials in craniofacial and dental tissue engineering. PeerJ 7:e7271
53. Cima MJ, Sachs E, Cima LG, Yoo J, Khanuja S, Borland SW., “Computer derived microstructures by 3D printing: bio-and structural materials”, Solid Free form Fabr. Symp. Proc. DTIC Document, Pages 181-190, 1994.
54. Xiong, Y., Chao Q., Jian S., “Fabrication of porous titanium implants by three-dimensional printing and sintering at different temperatures.” Dental materials journal, Vol. 31, Issue 5, Pages 815-820, 2018.
55. A validation study of reconstructed rapid prototyping models produced by two technologies Christian Andreas Dietricha ; Andreas Enderb ; Stefan Baumgartnerc ; Albert Mehld Angle Orthodontist, Vol 87, No 5, 2017
56. Pratik Bhatnagar, Jaspreet Kaur, Pooja Arora, Vipin Arora. International Journal of Life Sciences.2014; 3(2):50-53
57. American institute of Architects. Architectural graphic standard. 11th ed Hoboken: John wiley and sons 2007
58. Joshi, M.D. (2006) Rapid prototyping technology in maxillofacial prosthodontics: Basics and applications. The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society. 6(4): 175-178
59. Jain, N., Pathak, C., Manisha, Kaur, H., Kundra, S., Ritu, & Kumar, A. (2016). Rapid Protyping: A new chapter in Dentistry International Journal of Oral Care and Research; Oct- Dec 2016;4(4):301-304
60. Kamath M et al. Rapid Prototyping in Prosthodontics. International Journal of Oral Health and Medical Research | ISSN 2395-7387 | January-February 2019 | Vol 5 | Issue 5
61. Liwei Lin ,Yingfeng Fang ,Yuxuan Liao ,Gang Chen ,Chunxia Gao, Peizhi Zhu.3D Printing and Digital Processing Techniques in Dentistry: A Review of Literature. Adv. Eng. Mater. June 2019, Volume21, Issue6.
62. Sasa T. Zivanovic et al. An Overview of Rapid Prototyping Technologies using Subtractive, Additive and Formative Processes. FME Transactions (2020) 48, 246-253
63. Katreva, Iveta & Dikova, Tsanka & Abadzhiev, Metodi & Tonchev, Tsvetan & Dzhendov, Dzhendo & Simov, Maksim & Angelova, Svetlana & Pavlova, Diana & Doychinova, Maya. (2016). 3D-printing in contemporary prosthodontic treatment. Scripta Scientifica Medicinae Dentalis. 2. 16-20. 10.14748/ssmd.v1i1.1446.
64. Mouzakis, Dionysios. (2018). Advanced Technologies in Manufacturing 3D-Layered Structures for Defense and Aerospace. 10.5772/intechopen.74331.
66. Mumtaz, K. A., Erasenthiran, P., & Hopkinson, N. (2008). High density selective laser melting of Waspaloy®. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 195(1-3), 77–87. doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.04.117
67. Ramana, T. & Subhash, Sagam & Balakrishna, Sangem. (2019). Modelling and 3D Printing of Crankshaft. International Journal of Trend in Scientific Research and Development. Volume-3. 1039-1043. 10.31142/ijtsrd23224.
69. Groth CH, Kravitz ND, Jones PE, Graham JW, Redmond WR. Three-dimensional printing technology. J Clin Orthod. 2014 Aug;48(8):475-85.
70. Hashimi, Md.Hira. (2017). Design, Planning, Machining, and Manufacturing Using Rapid Prototyping Technologies in Modern Engineering. International Journal of scientific research and management. 10.18535/ijsrm/v5i1.07.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.