Research Article of International Journal of Nanoparticle Research
Development and Characterization of Nanoparticle Metal Matrix Composites: (Al 2024-SiC NP)
Muhammad Arshad Chaudhry1, Liaqat Ali2, Khalid Mahmood Ghauri2,Javed Iqbal2
1Ph.D Research Scholar, Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, University of Engineering & Technology, Lahore, Pakistan 2Professor Dr. Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering,University of Engineering & Technology, Lahore, Pakistan
Composite materials get an importance in value as an advance materials such as automotive, aerospace, aircraft, defense, medical, marine, sports, recreation and various engineering applications due to their high strength-to-weight ratio, good cast ability and better tribological properties. Al-base 2024 alloy reinforced with SiC micron and nano particles were developed using stir casting technique due to low cast, ease in fabrication, recyclability and isotropic characteristics. The development of Aluminum metal matrix nano composites (AMMNCs) is most considered material for high temperature applications because of their excellent mechanical properties, increase performance and weight saving for more reduction of fuel consumption. The results indicate that Al-SiC composite has improved physical and mechanical properties such as tensile strength, charpy impact strength, brinell hardness, density and porosity percentage. Samples with micron particles and nano particles were developed to compare the properties of both. Microstructures of the samples were studied by means of X-Ray Diffraction and Scanning Electron Microscopy. The elemental composition was also analyzed through Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy. It was found that composites of Al-SiC have better and improved physical properties in nano dimensions.
Keywords: Al-SiC development, stir casting, characterization of reinforced samples, optical micrograph, XRD, SEM and EDS
How to cite this article:
Muhammad Arshad Chaudhry, Liaqat Ali, Khalid Mahmood Ghauri, Javed Iqbal .Development and Characterization of Nanoparticle Metal Matrix Composites: (Al 2024-SiC NP). International Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2018; 2:7. DOI:10.28933/ijnr-2018-04-1901
1. A. D. Sable, Dr. S. D. Deshmukh, (2012), Characterization of Al SiC metal matrix by Advance Research in Engineering and Technology, 3, 2, 226-234,
2. A. D. Sable, Dr. S. D. Deshmukh, (2012), Preparation of Metal Matrix Composites by Stir Casting Method, International Journal of Advance Research in Engineering and Technology, 3, 3, 404-411.
3. A. Jailani, S. M. Tajuddin, (2013), Mechanical Properties of Stirred SiC Reinforced Aluminum Alloy: Stir Casting with different Composition of SiC, Blade Angle and Stirring Speed, Advanced Materials Research, 622-623, 1335-1339.
4. A. Mazhery et al, August (2012), Study of Tribological and Mechanical Properties of A356-Nano SiC Composites, Springer Link, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals, Volume 65, issue 4, PP 393-398.
5. A. Kumar, S. Lal, S. Kumar, (2013), Fabrication and Characterization of A359/Al2O3 Metal Matrix Composites Using Electromagnetic Stir Casting Method, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 2, 3, 250-254.
6. A. Mittal, R. Muni, (2013), Fabrication and characterization of mechanical properties of Al-RHA-Cu Hybrid metal matrix composites, International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, 3, 5, 1779-1783.
7. A. R. I Kheder, G. S. Marahleh, D. M. K. Al- Jamea, (2011), Strengthening of Al by SiC, Al2O3 and MgO, Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, 5, 6, 533-541.
8. A. R. N. Abed, I. R. Ibrahim, (2013), Microstructural and Mechanical Characterization of 7075 Al alloy Reinforced By Al2O3 Nanoparticle Dispersion, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology, 4, 5, 286-294.
9. B. M. Viswanatha, M. P. Kumar, S. Basavarajappa, T. S. Kiran, (2013), Mechanical Property Evaluation of A356 / SiCp / Grp Metal Matrix Composites, Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 8, 6, 754-763.
10. B. P. Samal, S. C. Panigrahi, B. Sarangi, (2013), Use of modified stir casting technique to produce metal matrix composites, International Journal of Engineering and Technical Research, 1, 9, 63-65.
11. B. S. Kumar, L. Ramesh, (2012), Characterization of Al-Si casting alloys reinforced with nano SiC composites, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, 16.
12. D. K. Koli, G. Agnihotri, R. Purohit, (2013), Properties and characterization of Al- Al 2 O 3 Composites Processed by Casting and Powder Metallurgy Routs (Review), International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology, 2, 4, 486-496.
13. D. Singla, S. R. Mediratta, (2013), Evaluation of Mechanical Properties of Al 7075-Fly Ash Composite material, International Journal of Inovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 2, 4, 951-959.
14. E. S. Y. El-Kady, T. S. Mahmoud, A. A. Aziz Ali, (2011), On the Electrical and thermal conductivities of cast A356 / Al203 metal matrix nano composites, Materials Sciences and Applications, 2, 1180-1187.
15. G.G. Sozhamannan, S. B. Prabu, V. S. K. Venkatagalapathy, (2012), Effect of Processing Parameters on Metal Matrix Composites: Stir Casting Process, Journal of Surface Engineered Materials and Advanced Technology, 2, 11-15.
16. Gopi K. R, Mohandas K. N, Reddappa H. N, M. R. Ramesh, (2013), Characterization of as cast and heat treated Al 6061 / ZrO2 sand / graphite particulate hybrid composites, International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology, 2, 5, 340-344.
17. G. Nandipati, R. Kommineni, N. R. Damera, R. Nallu, (2013), Fabrication and study of the mechanical properties of A2024 alloy reinforced with B4C nano particles using ultrasonic cavitations method, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, 7, 4, 01-17.
18. J. Hashim, (2001), The Production of cast metal matrix composites by a modified stir casting method, Jurnal Teknologi, 35 (A), 9-20.
19. J. J. Rino, D. Chandramohan, K. S. Sucitharan, (2012), An overview on development of Al metal matrix composites with hybrid reinforcement, international Journal of Science and Research, India, 1, 3, 196-203.
20. Jayashree P.K, G. Shankar M.C, A. chuthakini, Sharma S. S., R. R. Shetty, (2013), Review on effect of SiC on stir cast Al metal matrix composites, International Journal of Corrent Engineering and Technology, 3, 3, 1061-1071.
21. K. K. Alaneme, B. O. Ademilua, M. O. Bodunrin, (2013), Mechanical Properties and Corrosion Behavior of Aluminum Hybrid Composites Reinforced with Silicon Carbide and Bamboo Leaf Ash, Vol. 35, No. 1 25-35.
22. K. L. Meena, Dr. A. Manna, Dr. S. S. Banwait, Dr. Jaswanti, (2013), An analysis of mechanical properties of the developed Al / SiC MMCs, American Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 1 (1),14-19.
23. L. Rasidhar, A. R. Krishna, C. S. Rao, (2013), Fabrication and investigation on properties of Ilmenite (FeTiO3) based Al nano composite by stir casting process, International Journal of Bio-Science and Bio-Technology, 5, 4, 193-199.
24. M. H. Zamani, H. Baharvandi, (2011), Fabrication and studying the mechanical properties of A356 alloy reinforced with Al203-10% vol. ZrO2 nano particles through stir casting, Advances in Materials Physics and Chemistry, 1, 26-30.
25. N. S. Abtan, (2013), Experimental Study of the Mechanical and Metallurgical Behavior of Al / SiC Composite, Academic Research International, 4, 5, 22-29.
26. P. O. Babalola, C. A. Bolu, A. O. Inegbenebor, K. M. Odunfa, (2014), Development of Aluminum Matrix Composites: A Review, Online International Journal of Engineering and Technology Research, 2, 01-11.
27. P. Phutane, V. K. S. Jatti, R. Sekhar, T. P. Singh, (2013), Synthesis and characterization of SiC reinforced HE-30 Al alloy particulate MMCs, International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 5, 3, 2866-2870.
28. R. G. Bhandare, P. M. Sonawane, (2013), Preparation of Al matrix composites by using stir casting method, International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology, 3, 2, 61-65.
29. Raghavendra N., V. S. Ramamurthy, (2014), Effect of particle size and weight fraction of Alumina reinforcement on wear behavior of Al Metal Matrix Composites, International Journal of Inovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 3, 4, 11191-11198.
30. R. S Rana, R. Purohit, S. Das, (2013), Fabrication and testing of ultrasonically assisted stir cast A5083-SiCp composites, Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, 3, 5, 386-393.
31. S. Amirkhanlou, B. Niroumand, (2011), Development of Al356 / SiCp cast composites by injection of SiCp containing composite powders, Materials and Design, 32, 1895-1902.
32. S. B. Prabu, L. Karunamoorthy, S. Kathiresan, B. Mohan, (2006), Influence of Stirring speed and Stirring Time on Distribution of Particles in Cast Metal Matrix Compopsite, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 171, 268-273.
33. S. Chatterjee, A. B. Mallick, (2013), Challenges in manufacturing Al based metal matrix nano composites via stir casting route, Materials Science Forum, 736, 72-80.
34. S. Donthamsetty, N. Rao. D, (2010), Investigation on Mechanical Properties of A356 Assisted Cavitation, Journal of Mechanical Engineering, ME 41, 2, 121-129.
35. S. Haque, A. H. Ansari, Premkumarbharti, J. Mater. Environ. Sci. (2014), Effect of Process Parameters on Wear Rate of Al 6061-Cu Reinforced SiCp Metal Matrix Composites, 5 (5), CODEN JMESCN, 1485-1489.
36. S. Mathur, A. Barnawal, (2013), Effect of process parameter of stir casting on metal matrix composites, International Journal of Science of Research, 2, 12, 395-98.
37. S. Naher, D. Brabazon, L. Looney, (2004), Development and assessment of a new quick quench Stir casterdesign for the production of metal matrix composites, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 166, 430-439.
38. T. Rajmoham, K. Palanikumar, S.Ranganathan, (2013), Evaluation of mechanical and wear properties of hybrid aluminum matrix composites, Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc, China 23, 2509-2517.
39. V. Kumar, P. Kumar, P. Kumar, (2013), Development of AA 2218-Al2O3 MMCs and Characterization For Mechanical Properties, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 2, 5, 1510-1517.
40. Vinoth M. A, Arun L. R., B. Patil, (2014), Fabrication process and mechanical characterization of pure Al-Si MMCs for Engine Applications, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 3, 6, 13514-13521.
41. V. Ramnath, C. Elanchezhian, R. M. Annamalai, S. Aravind, T. S. A. Atreya, V. Vignesh, C. Subramanian, (2014), Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites-A Review, Rev. Adv. Mater. Sci, 38, 55-60.