Research Article of International Journal of Nanoparticle Research
Synthesis of Punica Granatum Fruit Peel Extract Based Silver Nanoparticles and Evaluation of it’s Antimicrobial Activity
Vinay C H*, Prakash Goudanavar and Ankit Acharya
Department of Pharmaceutics, Sri Adichunchanagiri College of Pharmacy, B.G. Nagara, Karnataka -571 448.
The main objective of the present work was to prepare pomegranate peel extract based nano particles by chemical complexation method. Ethanolic extracts of pomegranate peel were prepared by using Soxhlet apparatus and evaluated for phyto-chemical constituents. Qualitative analysis showed that pomegranate peel extract showed positive results for alkaloids, anthraquinones, saponins and terpenoids. The percentage moisture content and pH of the extract was found to be 72% and 3.6 respectively. A zeta potential and particle size of prepared nanoparticles was found in the range of -24.6 to– 34.5 mV and 118.6 nm to 231.7 nm, respectively. These range confirms that obtained particles were in nano range, i.e. <500 nm size. SEM results indicated the formation of nanoparticles and were relatively spherical in shape. Energy dispersive spectrometry (EDS) analysis confirms the presence of AgNPs. Prepared peel extracts based nanoparticle showed promising antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
Keywords:Pomegranate peel extract, Qualitative analysis, Nano particles
How to cite this article:
Vinay C H, Prakash Goudanavar and Ankit Acharya. Synthesis Of Punica Granatum Fruit Peel Extract Based Silver Nanoparticles And Evaluation Of It’s Antimicrobial Activity. International Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2018; 2:8 (Accepted for publication; Online first)
- Mohanraj VJ, Chen Y. Nanoparticles-A review. Tropical J Pharma Res. 2006;5(1):561-573.
- Nessma AEZ. Antioxidant, antitumor, antimicrobial studies and quantitative phytochemical estimation of ethanolic extracts of selected fruit peels. Int J Curr Microbio Appli Sci. 2015;4(5):298-309.
- Kiruthika N, Somanathan T. Biofabrication of silver nanoparticles from fruits waste extract and their application towards antimicrobial activity. Int J Pharm Bio Sci. 2016;7(1):7-11.
- Hamouda AB, Chaieb I, Remadi MD and Laarif A. In-vitro evaluation of insecticidal and antifungal potencies of fruit peel extracts of pomegranate (Punica granatum). Cent Euro J Exp Bio. 2015;4(1):11-15.
- Khan JA, Hanee S. Antibacterial properties of Punica granatum Int J Appl Bio Pharma Tech. 2011;3(2):23-27.
- Vinay CH, Ahmed MG, Goudanavar P, Acharya A. Development and characterization of pomegranate-based nanoparticles for drug delivery applications. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotech. 2017;11(1):3979-84.
- Vinay CH, Goudanavar P, Acharya A, Ahmed MG, Prem Kumar SR. Development and characterization of orange peel extract based nanoparticles. Asian J Pharm Res. 2018;8(2):1-7.
- Presscot LM, Harely JP, Klein DA. Microbial growth and metabolism In: Klein K, editors, microbiology. 2nd ed, England WmC Brown, publishers.104-08.
- Henry WS, Paul JB, John JN. Culturing microorganism in action A. Laboratory manual of microbiology. 4th ed, NewYork. WH freeman and company; 1991: 37-61.
- Harry W. Antiseptic and disinfectant action, Microbes in action A. Laboratory manual in Microbiology. 1982:75.
- Kulkarni SK. Pharmacology of central nervous system. Hand book of experimental pharmacology. 1st ed, Vallabh Prakashan; 1993: 41.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.