Research Article of International Journal of Nanoparticle Research
A Semi Organic Non-linear Optical Crystal: Synthesis, Growth and Characterization of Novel Thiosemicarbazide Magnesium Chloride
K.Sankar1, R. Rajasekaran2, B. Sathyaseelan3*, G. Ramalingam4, V. Vetrivelan5*
1 Research and Development Center, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore – 641 046, India. 2 Department of Physics, Govt. Arts College, Viruthachalam – 606 001, Tamil Nadu, India. 3Department of Physics, University College of Engineering Arni (A Constituent College of Anna University Chennai), Arni, India. 4Quantum Materials Research Lab(QMRL), Department of Nanoscience and Technology, Alagappa University, Karaikudi630003, Tamil Nadu, India 5Department of Physics, Thanthai Periyar Government Institute of Technology, Vellore-632 002. India
Single crystals of thiosemicarbazide magnesium chloride (TSCMC) a semi organic nonlinear optical (NLO) material have been grown from aqueous solution by a slow evaporation technique. The grown crystals have been subjected to single crystal X-ray diffraction studies to identify of the structure. FTIR and optical transmission spectra reveal the optical properties of the grown crystals. The thermal behavior of TSCMC was investigated using the TG–DTA studies. Dielectric measurements were made over a wide range of frequencies for different temperatures.
The second harmonic generation (SHG) efficiency for the grown crystals was determined using the Kurtz powder technique.
Keywords: Single crystal growth, XRD, FTIR, Optical absorption spectrum, TG-DTA analysis, Dielectric studies, SHG
How to cite this article:
K.Sankar, R. Rajasekaran, B. Sathyaseelan, G. Ramalingam, V. Vetrivelan. A Semi Organic Non-linear Optical Crystal: Synthesis, Growth and Characterization of Novel Thiosemicarbazide Magnesium Chloride. International Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2020; 3:13.
1. Boyed, R.W.( 1992.) Nonlinear optics. Academic Press San Diego, CA.
2. Saleh, B.E.A. and Teich, M.C., Fundamentals of Photories, wiley, New York, 1992, 966.
3. Rajasekaran, R. Ushasree , P.M., Jayavel, R., Ramasamy, P. (2001), Growth and characterization of zinc thiourea chloride (ZTC): a semiorganic nonlinear optical crystal, Journal of Crystal Growth, 229, 563-567, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0248(01)01229-5
4. JonieVarjula, A., Vesta, C., Justin Raj, C., Dinakaran, S., Ramanand, A. and Jerome Das S.,(2007) Growth and characterization of a new semi- organic nonlinear optical sodium paranitrophenolate paranitrophenol dihydrate single crystal, Matterial Letters, 61, 5053-5055. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2007.04.012
5. Rajesh, N.P., Kannan, V., Ashok, M., Sivaji, K., SanthanaRaghavan, P. and Ramasamy, P. (2004) A new nonlinear optical semi-organic material: cadmium thiourea acetate, Journal of Crystal Growth, 262, 561-566. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2003.10.064.
6. Santhakumari, R., Ramamurthi, K., Vasuki, G., Yamin, G. and Bhagavan Narayana, (2010) Synthesis and spectral characterization of acetophenone thiosemicarbazone – A nonlinear optical material, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 76, 369-375. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.saa.2010.03.030
7. NarayanaMorlya, B., Jayarama, A., Sureshkumar, M.R., and Dharma Prakash, S.M. (2005) Journal of Crystal Growth, 280, 581-586. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.saa.2010.03.030
8. Balakrishnan, T., RameshBabu, R., and Ramamurthi., K. (2008) Growth, structural, optical and thermal properties of γ-glycine crystal, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 69, 1114- 1118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.saa.2007.06.025
9. Baran, J., Drozd, M., Ratajczak, H., and Pietraszko, A. (2009) Bis(glycine) lithium nitrate –A new non-centrosymmetric crystal: X-ray structure, vibrational spectra and DSC investigations, Journal of Molecular Structure, 927, 43–53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. molstruc .2008.11.049.
10. G. R. Dillip, G. Bhagavannarayana, P. Raghavaiah, B. Deva Prasad Rajud, (2012) Effect of magnesium chloride on growth, crystalline perfection, structural, optical, thermal and NLObehavior of γ-glycine crystals, Materials Chemistry and Physics,134, 371-378. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2012.03.004
11. Suresh. S., (2013) The Growth and the Optical, Mechanical, Dielectric and Photoconductivity Properties of a New Nonlinear Optical Crystal—L-Phenylalanine-4-nitrophenol NLO Single Crystal, Journal of Crystallization Process and Technology, 3, 87-91. http://dx.doi.org/10 .4236/ jcpt.2013.33014.
12. Kaid, M. A., and Ashour, A., (2007) Preparation of ZnO-doped Al films by spray pyrolysis technique, Applied Surface Science, 253, 3029- 3031.
13. Dharmaprakash, S.M., and Mohan Rao, P., (1989) Dielectric properties of hydrated barium oxalate and barium cadmium oxalate crystals, Journal of materials science letters, 8 (10) 1167-1168. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01730058.
14. Rao, K.V., and Samakula, A., ( 1965) Dielectric Properties of Cobalt Oxide, Nickel Oxide, and Their Mixed Crystals, Journal of Applied Physics 36, 2031. https://doi.org/10.1063/ 1.171 4397
15. Miller, R. C., (1964) Optical second harmonic generation in piezoelectric crystals, Applied Physics Letters, 5, 17. https://doi.org/ 10.1063/ 1.1754022
16. Vijayan, N., Rajasekaran, S., Bhagavannarayana, G., Ramesh Babu, R., Gopala Krishnan, R., PalaniChamy, M., and Ramasamy, P., (2006) Growth and Characterization of Nonlinear Optical Amino Acid Single Crystal: l-Alanine, Crystal Growth & Design, 6, 2441–2445.https://pubs. acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cg049594y
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.