Research Article of Journal of Theoretical and Applied Economics
Analysis of commercial automobile insurance operating efficiency and Its influence factors of Chinese property insurance companies. –An empirical analysis based on SBM-DEA method and Tobit model
Department University of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, 11th, Beijing Fangshan District.
This paper selects the operation data of commercial car insurance of 25 companies in 2012-2016, and calculates the efficiency of commercial car insurance by using SBM-DEA model, also analyzes the main factors affecting the efficiency of commercial car insurance operation by using the Tobit panel data estimation model. The main conclusions are as follows:
1. The overall efficiency value of the commercial insurance company is low, and only 2 of the 25 property insurance companies tested reached the effective frontier, there is still a large space for improvement, the redundancy of low efficiency companies is more serious; In the past three years, the technical efficiency value has remained stable and the upward trend is not obvious.
2. Commercial car insurance premium income share, market share, cost rate, company asset size, all have different degrees of impact on the efficiency value of commercial car insurance.
Keywords: Commercial insurance efficiency; SBM-DEA model; Impact factors
How to cite this article:
Hong Han. Analysis of commercial automobile insurance operating efficiency and Its influence factors of Chinese property insurance companies–An empirical analysis based on SBM-DEA method and Tobit model. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Economics, 2019;3:3. DOI:10.28933/jtae-2019-05-1805
1. Berger A.N. and D.B. Humphrey. 1997. Effi-ciency of Financial International Survey and Di-rections for Future Research. European Journal of Operational Research (98):175-213.
2. Cummins J.D. and Weiss, Mary A. 2000.Ana-lyzing Firm Performance in the Insurance In-dustry Using Frontier Efficiency and Productiv-ity Methods. Handbook of Insurance. Kluwer. Academic Publishers:767-825.
3. Guo J. L., X. N. Wang, 2015. Study on the rela-tionship between commercial car insurance op-eration condition and property insurance com-pany characteristics. Journal of Insurance re-search (11):47－58．
4. Gagains, Chrysovalantis. 2013.The Determi-nants of Financial Health of Asian Insurance Companies．The Journal of Risk and Insur-ance36(5):77-95.
5. Ho C.L., G.C. Lai and J.P. Lee. 2012.Organiza-tional structure, board composition，and risk taking in the US property casualty insurance in-dustry. Journal of Risk and Insurance80(1):169 －203．
6. Jan P.C, G. Vivian. Valdmanis, J. Gloria. Bazzoli, M. Zhao, C. Askar. 2008. An analysis of hospital outcomes and efficiency with a DEA model of output congestion. Health Care Man-agement Science (1):67-77.
7. Liu Z. Y., W. P. Sun, J. Li. 2007．An empirical study on cost efficiency and influencing factors of property insurance industry in China．Jour-nal of Financial Research (4):87－99．
8. Liu H. Y., H. Z. Gao. 2010. Analysis on influenc-ing factors of traffic compulsory insurance man-agement results. Statistics and decision-mak-ing(8):91－93.
9. Lin Y. 2010. Analysis of insurance efficiency of motor vehicles in China-based on DEA model method. Financial economy: 64-66.
10. Sun G., L. Liu. 2010. Empirical study on effi-ciency change of life insurance industry in China-based on data envelope analysis method. Research on financial Issues（5）：45 -52.
11. Sun R., T. W. Feng. 2016. The efficiency and influencing factors of insurance company’s run-ning agricultural insurance-based on SBM Model and DEA window analysis method. Jour-nal of Insurance research (1):43－53．
12. Shi G.M., B. Jun, J.N. Wang. 2010. Chinese re-gional industrial energy efficiency evaluation based on a DEA model of fixing non-energy in-puts. Energy Policy (10):6172-6179.
13. Yu X. L., H. Zhu. 2016. Rate marketization, new normal of automobile industry and development of commercial car insurance-an empirical study on the effective demand of commercial car in-surance in China. Journal of Insurance re-search(2)：35-46.
14. Yaisawarng, Saowaros. 2014. Efficiency and productivity in the Thai non-life insurance in-dustry. J Prod Anal (41):291-306.
15. Yao C., D.C. Wade, L. Ning, J. Zhu. 2009. Ad-ditive Efficiency Decomposition in Two-Stage DEA. European Journal of Operation Research (196):1170-1176.
16. Zhang C.H. 2011. Study on the management efficiency of China’s property insurance compa-nies based on DEA three stages. Journal of In-surance research（10）：22-29.
17. Zhu N. J., Z. R. Zhang. 2015. Calculation of management efficiency and analysis of influ-encing factors of insurance companies in China –based on the perspective of enterprise and so-ciety. Journal of Insurance research (11):36－ 46．
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.