Research Article of Journal of Theoretical and Applied Sciences
The Ultimate Strength of Ring Stiffened Cylindrical Shell and Its Influence Factors
XIONG Zhixin1, HUI Hanju1*, HUANG Zhiquan2
1College of Ocean Science and Engineering, Shanghai Maritime University, Shanghai 201306, China.
2College of Logistic Engineering, Shanghai Maritime University, Shanghai 201306, China.
Calculating the modes of cylindrical shell, then embed them into ideal perfect cylindrical pressure-resistant shell as the initial geometric imperfections to form the modal. According to the characteristics of each mode, the first 30 modes can be classified into four types, and it is found that the mode of the first type is the worst defect form. By calculation, the cylinder shell has the minimum ultimate strength when the 23rd mode happened. The sensitivity analysis of cylindrical shells with initial geometric defects shows that the critical buckling load has approximate linear relationship with different thickness radius ratio and defect amplitude. Six cylindrical shells of different materials are selected for research, and it is found that although the modal orders of the worst geometric defects of various materials are not the same, they all belong to the first type of mode. The comparison showed that the 921 steel and 909 steel materials are economic.
Keywords: Ring-stiffened cylinder; Ultimate strength; Initial imperfection; Mode
How to cite this article:
XIONG Zhixin, HUI Hanju, HUANG Zhiquan. The Ultimate Strength of Ring Stiffened Cylindrical Shell and Its Influence Factors. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Sciences, 2020; 3:15. DOI:10.28933/jtas-2020-01-2805
2. Wang L, Jiang L, Wang R H, et al. Original research on influence of initial deflection on plastic stability of ring-stiffened circular cylindrical shell[J]. Journal of Jiangsu University of Science and Technology: Natural Science Edition,2007,21(5):1-3.
3. Korucuk F M A, Maali M, Kilic M ; Aydin AC. Experimental analysis of the effect of dent variationtion on the buckling capacity of thin-walled cylindrical shells[J]. Thin-Walled Structures,2019, 143.
4. Qiao P Z, Wang Y L, Lu L J. Advances in stability study of cylindrical shells [J]. Chinese Quarterly of Mechanics,2018,39(02):223-236.
5. Do Q T, Muttaqie T, Park S H, Shin H K, Cho S R. Predicting the collision damage of steel ring-stiffened cylinders and their residual strength under hydrostatic pressure[J]. Ocean Engineering,2018,169.
6. Muttaqie T, Thang D Q., Prabowo A R, Cho S R, Sohn J M. (2019). Numerical studies of the failure modes of ring-stiffened cylinders under hydrostatic pressure[J]. Structural Engineering and Mechanics,70(4), 431–443.
7. Cho S R, Do Q T, Shin H K. Residual strength of damaged ring-stiffened cylinders subjected to external hydrostatic pressure[J]. Marine Structures,2017,56.
8. Wan F T, Chen Z P, Jiao P, et al. Research on buckling load numerical method of cylindrical shells with initial imperfection[J]. Pressure Vessel Technology,2017,34(3):1-9.
9. Zhang J , Zhou T, Wang W B, et al. Buckling property of a composite cylindrical shell considering mode imperfections[J]. Acta Materiae Compositae Sinica,2017,34(3):588-596.
10. Cho S R, Muttaqie T, Do Q T, et al. Experimental investigations on the failure modes of ring-stiffened cylinders under external hydrostatic pressure[J]. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering,2017.
11. Classification specification for diving systems and submersibles [S]. Beijing: China classification society, 2019.
12. Luo G L; Zhang S J; Ren H L. Mathematical expression of ship plate stress-strain relation and its use in calculating stiffened plate buckling[J]. Journal of Marine Technology,2006(3):13-18.
13. Liu T, Structural analysis and design of large depth submersible [D]. Wuxi: China ship science research center,2001.
14. Jiang X Y, Liu T, Zhang M R, et al. Plastic correction of pressure hull’s limit load considering material properties[J]. Journal of Ship Mechanics, 2013,17(11):1278-1291.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.