Research Article of Open Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Liver cirrhosis with high IgG4 in a patient with, diabetes mellitus, ulcerative colitis with papillary thyroid cancer, is it all related ? which one to blame& is it time to raise awareness about IGG4 and hepatobiliary diseases
Makki H.Fayadh MRCP UK,FRCP Ed,FRCP London*, Salim Awadh MRCP UK,FRCP London, Tarek Mohamed Badawy, Mahmoud Bahram MD, Ayman Salah Moussa MD, Loai Elkewisny MD, Diaa Eldeeb MD
Advanced center for day care surgery Abu Dhabi UAE
Back ground: There is possible etiological relation between high IgG4 in a patient with liver cirrhosis, ulcerative colitis, diabetes mellitus , prostatitis ,venous thrombosis and thyroid cancers and the use of immunosuppressive & biologic agents.
Method: a study of patient with multiple organ involvement with persistently elevated IgG4. A 56 years old male with persistently elevated IgG4 over 2.5 times normal level, diabetic on insulin, ulcerative colitis on azathioprin & adalimumab developed deep skin pigmentation and liver enzymes elevation with portal hypertension and liver cirrhosis, azathioprine & adalimumab were stopped and golimumab started, after 3 infusions of golimumab papillary thyroid cancer developed .Total thyroidectomy followed by radio iodine after which severe sialo adenitis developed which responded to steroids. His ulcerative colitis was treated with vedolizumab with good response. liver cirrhosis progressed with bleeding varices and portal vein thrombosis with factor Leiden V mutation.
Results and conclusions: High IgG4 can be related to many organs including pancreas,liver,thyroid ,small and large bowel,parotid glands ,in this patients all these were affected resulting in colitis,diabetes,liver cirrhosis and thyroid cancer and sialo adenitis. Awareness is needed on the associations with high IgG4. Conclusion: A patient with elevated IgG4 , liver cirrhosis , diabetes mellitus, ulcerative colitis developed skin pigmentation, and papillary thyroid cancer associated with persistently elevated IgG4.
Keywords: IgG4 related, liver cirrhosis ,diseases, diabetes mellitus, ,thyroid cancer
How to cite this article:
Makki H.Fayadh, Salim Awadh, Tarek Mohamed Badawy, Mahmoud Bahram, Ayman Salah Moussa, Loai Elkewisny, Diaa Eldeeb. Liver cirrhosis with high IgG4 in a patient with, diabetes mellitus, ulcerative colitis with papillary thyroid cancer, is it all related ? which one to blame& is it time to raise awareness about IGG4 and hepatobiliary diseases.Open Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2019, 2:10. DOI: 10.28933/ojgh-2019-07-2305
1. Gastrointestinal and Extra-Intestinal Manifestations of IgG4–Related Disease Katsuyuki Miyabe,1 Yoh Zen,2 Lynn D. Cornell,3 Govindarajan Rajagopalan,4 Vaidehi R. Chowdhary,5 Lewis R. Roberts,1 and Suresh T. Chari Gastroenterology 2018;155:990–1003
2. IgG4-related disease.Stone JH, Zen Y, Deshpande V N Engl J Med. 2012 Feb;366(6):539-51.
3. gG4-related disease.Kamisawa T, Zen Y, Pillai S, Stone JH Lancet. 2015 Apr;385(9976):1460-71. Epub 2014 Dec 4.
4. 3.Autoimmune pancreatitis in Japan: overview and perspective.Shimosegawa T, Kanno A JGastroenterol. 2009;44(6):503.
5. 4.Riedel’s thyroiditis: clinical presentation, treatment and outcomes. Falhammar H, Juhlin CC, Barner C, Catrina SB, Karefylakis C, Calissendorff J Endocrine. 2018;60(1):185. Epub 2018 Jan 29.
6. Ulcerative Colitis and Immunoglobulin G4 Go Kuwata,Terumi Kamisawa, Koichi Koizumi, TakuTabata, Seiichi Hara, Sawako Kuruma,Takashi Fujiwara, Kazuro Chiba, HidetoEgashira, Junko Fujiwara, Takeo Arakawa, Kumiko Momma, andShinichiroHoriguchi Gut Liver. 2014 Jan; 8(1): 29–34.
7. Overview Of The Common And Rare Gastro Intestinal Diseases In UAE: Fayadh, Makki H; Sabih, Salem Awadh. Australasian Medical Journal (Online); Floreat Vol. 12, Iss. 3, (2019): 103-104.
8. Riedel’s thyroiditis: clinical presentation, treatment and outcomes.Falhammar H, Juhlin CC, Barner C, Catrina SB, Karefylakis C, Calissendorff J Endocrine. 2018;60(1):185. Epub 2018 Jan 29.
9. Immunoglobulin G4-associated cholangitis: clinical profile and response to therapy.Ghazale A, Chari ST, Zhang L, Smyrk TC, Takahashi N, Levy MJ, Topazian MD, Clain JE, Pearson RK, Petersen BT, Vege SS, Lindor K, Farnell MB
10. Autoimmune pancreatitis-associated prostatitis: distinct clinicopathological entity.Uehara T, Hamano H, Kawakami M, Koyama M, Kawa S, Sano K, Honda T, Oki K, Ota H ,Pathol Int. 2008;58(2):118
11. Chronic sclerosing dacryoadenitis: part of the spectrum of IgG4-related Sclerosing disease? Cheuk W, Yuen HK, Chan JK Am J Surg Pathol. 2007;31(4):643.
12. Hyper-IgG4 disease: report and characterisation of a new disease.AUNeild GH, Rodriguez-Justo M, Wall C, Connolly JO BMC Med. 2006;4:23.Epub 2006 Oct 6
13. Rigler RG, Scanlon PW 1955 Radiation parotitis from radioactive iodine therapy. Proc Staff Meet Mayo Clin 30:149-153.