Research Article of Open Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Usefulness of Castor Oil and Elobixibat and Lactulose for Bowel Preparation for Colon Capsule Endoscopy in the patients on Dialysis -Including examination of small intestinal lesions-
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Masuko Memorial Hospital, Aichi, Japan.
Colon capsule endoscopy was approved for reimbursement under the national health insurance system of Japan in 2014.
Dialysis patients are potentially susceptible to bleeding because of the fragile intestine, impaired platelet function, or oral administration of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or anticoagulants. However, the capsule excretion rate after recommended bowel preparation reportedly ranges from 70% to 90%, and administration of boosters is also necessary. For dialysis patients, liquid loading is a problem. The patient on dialysis has moisture restrictions. The caster oil-based booster had an emission rate of 97%, but required a total water content of 3L. A study was conducted on dialysis patients using a protocol in which castor oil was supplemented with Elobixibat and Lactulose to determine whether booster volume could be reduced and elimination rates improved.
Keywords: Castor Oil ,Elobixibat ,Colon Capsule Endoscopy ,Patients on Dialysis
How to cite this article:
Naoki Hotta.Usefulness of Castor Oil and Elobixibat and Lactulose for Bowel Preparation for Colon Capsule Endoscopy in the patients on Dialysis .Open Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2020, 3:30. DOI: 10.28933/ojgh-2019-12-2706
1. US Renal Data System USRDS,2011 Annual Data Report:Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States,National Institute of Health,National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases,Bethesda,Md,USA,2011
2. Kang JY.The gastrointestinal tract in uremia.Dig Dis Sic 1993;38:257-258
3. Etemad B.Gastrointestinal complications of renal failure.Gastroenterology clinics of North America 1998:27;875-892
4. N Hosoe,S Matsukawa,Y kanno et al. Cross-sectional small intestinal surveillance of maintenance hemodialysis patients using vido capsule endoscopy:SCHEMA study.Endoscopy International Open 2016;04:E589-E596
5. Tajiri H.Current Situation And Problems Of Colon Capsule Endoscopy.Gastroenteroligical Endoscopy.(2011) ;Vol 53(9)SEP :2998-2999
6. Simon Bouchard,Mostafa Ibrahim,Andre Van Gossum.Video capsule endoscopy:Perspectives of a revolutionary technique.World J of Gastroenterology 2014;volume 20:17330-17343
7. Yasuo Kakugawa,Yutaka Saito,Shoichi Sato et al;New reduced volume preparation regimen in colon capsule endoscopy. World J of Gastroenterology 2012;volume 18:2092-2098
8. Naoki Hotta.The Use of Castor Oil for Bowel Preparation for Colon Capsule Endoscopy.Open Journal of Medical Imaging 2016:,6:103-107
9. Gillberg, P.G., Dahlstrom, M., Starke, I., et al. (2010) The IBAT Inhibition by A3309—A Potential Mechanism for the Treatment of Constipation. Gastroenterology, 138, S-224
10. Iser, J.H. and Sali, A. (1981) Chenodeoxycholic Acid: A Review of Its Pharmacological Properties and Therapeutic Use. Drugs, 21, 90-119.