Research Article of Open Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
GASTRIC OUTLET OBSTRUCTION: TRANSFORM IN ETIOGENESIS: STUDY FROM NORTHERN RAJASTHAN
ZUBIN PRADEEP SHARMA, RAVINDRA SHARMA, DIVYA SHARMA, SANTOSH YADAV
Department of Gastroenterology, Aditya Hospital And Gastroenterology Centre, Rajasthan, India
Objective: To determine the frequency of various etiologies of Gastric Outlet Obstruction in Northern part of Rajasthan, India.
Design & Duration: Prospective study carried out from March 2018 to March 2019.
Methodology: The data of all the patients who presented with the features of Gastric Outlet Obstruction during the above mentioned period was collected. This data was analyzed with specific reference to recent trends in its etiology. This change in trend was compared with other local and international studies.
Results: Fifty patients were included in the study. All patients underwent upper GI endoscopy and biopsy; 40 cases were diagnosed by this method and the remaining by CT scan. Gastric carcinoma was the most common cause of Gastric Outlet Obstruction seen in 36% of the cases. The next common etiology was peptic ulcer disease which was responsible for 32% of the patients.
Conclusion: The ratio between benign and malignant etiologies of Gastric Outlet Obstruction is showing a gradual change in favour of malignant lesions. This change is similar to the trends reported in the western literature.
Keywords: Gastric Outlet Obstruction, etiology, Gastric Carcinoma, Peptic Ulcer disease
How to cite this article:
ZUBIN PRADEEP SHARMA, RAVINDRA SHARMA, DIVYA SHARMA, SANTOSH YADAV. GASTRIC OUTLET OBSTRUCTION: TRANSFORM IN ETIOGENESIS: STUDY FROM NORTHERN RAJASTHAN. Open Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2020, 3:38. DOI: 10.28933/ojgh-2020-05-0605
1. Jaka H, Mchembe MD, Rambau PF, Chalya PL: Gastric outlet obstruction at Bugando Medical Centre in Northwestern Tanzania: a prospective review of 184 cases. BMC Surg 2013; 13(41):1-8.
2. Ranka K, Jain R, Jhanwar A: Gastric outlet obstruction in adults: A prospective study in tertiary care hospital of Karnataka: J Pharm Biomed Sci: 2013; 32(32): 1282-1286.
3. Kaushik S P, Mose. Gastric outlet obstruction in adults. Ind j. Surg. 1976;89:491
4. Ellis H. The surgery of stomach and duodenum. In: Nyhus ed. Anderson, 1977:459.
5. Tendler DA. Malignant gastric outlet obstruction: Bridging another divide. Am J Gastroenterol 2002;97:4-6
6. Misra SP, Dwivedi M, Misra V. Malignancy is the most common cause of gastric outlet obstruction even in a developing country. Endoscopy 1998 Jun; 30(5): 484-6.
7. Olaolorun DA, Oladiran IO. Gastric outlet obstruc- tion in Ogbomoso, Nigeria. West Afr J Med 2001 Jul-Sept; 20(3): 234-7.
8. Micheal JZ, Stanley WA. Maingot’s Abdominal Operations. 11th ed. New York: Mc Graw Hill; 2007. p. 365.
9. Kaushik SP, Moses T. Ind. J. Surg. End. Jour. Med. Res. 1973;61(10):1513