Case Report of Open Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Isolated metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma in the right atrium: a case observed in a university hospital in West Africa (Bouake, Ivory Coast)
Jean Baptiste Okon, Mamadou Diakité, Aké Akoun Fabrice, Koffi Kouadio Olivier Claver, Kone Amadou.
University hospital center of Bouake, Ivory Coast. University Alassane Ouattara, Medecine department
Intracardiac metastases from hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) are rare and have a poor prognosis. We report an observation in a West African university hospital in a 39-year-old black patient admitted with upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Clinical examination noted signs of cirrhosis, namely hepatocellular failure, portal hypertension, melena and signs of right heart failure against a background of deterioration in general condition (WHO-3). The CT scan showed a focal hepatic lesion with arterial enhancement and portal lavage compatible with HCC and a right intracardiac mass taking contrast. Doppler echocardiography confirmed the presence of a large heterogeneous mass occupying almost the entire right atrium. Palliative and symptomatic treatment was instituted in the patient improving his clinical condition. His death occurred two months after his release. The intracardiac localization of HCC, although rare, is not exceptional and of appalling prognosis. It should be sought in the assessment of the extension of HCC, especially in the presence of signs of cardiac involvement.
Keywords: Intracardiac metastasis, Right atrium, Hepatocellular carcinoma, west Africa.
How to cite this article:
Jean Baptiste Okon, Mamadou Diakité, Aké Akoun Fabrice, Koffi Kouadio Olivier Claver, Kone Amadou. Isolated metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma in the right atrium : a case observed in a university hospital in West Africa (Bouake, Ivory Coast) .Open Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2021, 4:54. DOI: 10.28933/ojgh-2021-08-1705
1. Zhang X, Li Y, Ren S, Ren W. Isolated metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma in the right ventricle. BMC Cardiovasc Disord 2019 19:287.
2. Kim SB, Shin YC, Kwon SU. Isolated metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma in the right ventricle. Med (Baltimore). 2016 ;95(51):e5544.
3. Mazzucotelli J-P, Gerelli S, Arguello M, Giron J. Right atrial metastasis from hepatocarcinoma. Cardiol Therapeutic Medicine. 2004; 2 (5): 330-2.
4. Kissi Anzouan-Kacou HY, Doffou SA, Bangoura AD, Kouamé DH. Management of digestive cancers in Ivory Coast: experience of the hepatogastroenterology department of the Yopougon University Hospital. J Afr Hepato-Gastroenterology. 2017; 11 (1): 13-8.
5. Chun YH, Ahn SH, Park JY, Kim DY. Clinical Characteristics and Treatment Outcomes of Hepatocellular Carcinoma with Inferior Vena Cava/Heart Invasion. Anticancer Res. 2011;31(12):4641‑6.
6. Mbengue M, Halim A, Fall S, Daher AK. Intracardiac metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma: an observation in Dakar. J Afr Hepato-Gastroenterology. 2017; 11 (1): 35-7.
7. Ayoola EA, Olubuyide IO, Thomas J. Cardiovascular systemic invasion by hepatocellular carcinoma: incidence and pattern in a west African population. Afr J Med Med Sci.1994;23(1):61‑6.
8. Liu Y-C, Ho Y-L, Huang G-T, Chen D-S. Clinical manifestations and survival of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and cardiac metastasis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;25(1):150‑5.
9. Okon JB, Ake F, Diakite M, Koffi KO, Kone A. Predictive Values of Platelets Count and Spleen Diameter in the Diagnosis of Esophageal. Varices in Black African Cirrhotic Patients. Open Journal of Gastroenterology, 2020, 10, 317-28.
CC BY 4.0
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.