Editorial Board of American Journal of Biotechnology and Bioscience
Dr. Miriam-Rose Menezes
University of Texas Health Science Center Houston Texas
Biography & Research Interest
Welcome Dr. Surabhi Mishra to Join the Editorial Board of American Journal of Biotechnology and Bioscience.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
2011 Ph.D., Oncology and Cancer Biology, The University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA.
2004 M.Sc. Biophysics, University of Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
2002 B.Sc. Microbiology and Biotechnology, University of Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
AWARDS AND HONORS
2017 Third Place Award for poster presentation at the Annual Postdoctoral Science Symposium, Houston
2017 Scientific Poster Award at the Precision Medicine Symposium, Houston
2017 Dean’s Postdoctoral Travel Award Recipient, UTHealth Science Center at Houston
2009 Graduate Research Fellowship, The University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha
2009 Jessen Award for Outstanding Oral Presentation in the Graduate Student and Postdoctoral seminar series, The University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha
2009 Travel Award for the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology at Whistler, BC
2009 Travel Award for the Gordon Research Conference in Mutagenesis at Oxford, UK
2008 Sangeet Bhushan for Excellence in Academic and Cultural Activities, Ramnarain Ruia College, University of Mumbai, Mumba
1. Menezes MR, Bae G, Park YS, Balzeau J, Rui Y, Niu A, Xu Z, Kim DH,. Stephan CS, Hagan JP. A Cell-Based Screen for Poor Prognosis Ovarian Cancer Chemotherapy. (Manuscript ready)
2. Lee J, Diaz MF, Livingston M, Ewere A, Horton P, Zhou A, Menezes MR, Hagan JP, Wenzel PL Lymphatic-like flow modifies breast cancer cell migration via YAP1. (Submitted)
3. Menezes MR*, Balzeau J* and Hagan JP. 3’ RNA Uridylation in Epitranscriptomics, Gene Regulation, and Disease, 2018, Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences 5, 61.
4. Yan-Ning Rui, Zhen Xu, Xiaoqian, Fang, Miriam R. Menezes, Julien Balzeau, Airu Niu, John P. Hagan, Dong H. Kim. The Intracranial Aneurysm Gene THSD1 Connects Endosome Dynamics to Nascent Focal Adhesion Assembly, 2017, Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry.
5. Ji D, Stepchenkova E, Cui J, Menezes MR, Pavlov YI, Kool E, Measuring Deaminated Nucleotide Surveillance Enzyme ITPA Activity with an ATP-releasing Nucleotide Chimera, Nucleic Acids Research. 2017.
6. Z Xu, YN Rui, J Balzeau, MR Menezes, A Niu, JP Hagan, DH Kim. Highly efficient one-step scarless protein tagging by type IIS restriction endonuclease mediated precision cloning. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 2017.
7. Balzeau J*, Menezes MR*, Cao S* and Hagan JP. The LIN28/let-7Pathway in Cancer. Front. Genet. 8:31doi: 10.3389/fgene.2017.00031, 2017.
8. S. Ray, M. R. Menezes, A. Senejani and J.B. Sweasy. Cellular Roles of DNA polymerase Beta. Yale J Biol Med 86(4): 463-9 PMID: 24348210, 2013
9. I.S Waisertreiger, V Liston, M. R. Menezes, K Hyun, K Lobachev, E Stepchenkova, T Tahirov, I Rogozin, Y.I. Pavlov. Modulation of mutagenesis in eukaryotes by DNA replication fork dynamics and quality of nucleotide pools. Environ Mol. Mutagen. 53(9): 699-724 PMID: 23055184, 2013
10. M. R Menezes*, I.S Waisertreiger*, H Lopez-Bertoni, X Luo, Y. I. Pavlov. Pivotal role of inosine triphosphate pyrophosphatase in maintaining genome stability and prevention of apoptosis in human cells. PLoS One. 7(2): e32313 PMID: 22384212, 2012
11. M. R. Menezes and J.B. Sweasy. Mouse Models of DNA Polymerases. Environ Mol. Mutagen. PMID: 23001988, 2012
12. S. Waisertreiger*, M. R. Menezes* and Y. I. Pavlov. Elevated levels of DNA strand breaks induced by base analog in the human cell line with the P32T ITPA variant. J. Nucleic Acids, pii: 872180 PMID: 20936128, 2010
13. E.I. Stepchenkova, E.R. Tarakhovskaya, K. Spitler, C Frahm, M. R. Menezes, PD Simone, C Kolar, L.A. Marky, G.E Borgstahl, Y.I. Pavlov. Functional study of the P32T ITPA variant associated with drug sensitivity in humans. J Mol Biol. 25; 392(3): 602-13 PMID: 19631656 2009
1. M. R. Menezes, G Bae, Y S Park, J Balzeau, C C. Stephan and J P. Hagan. A cell-based screen for poor prognosis ovarian cancer chemotherapy. 2017 Annual Postdoctoral Science Symposium, Houston, Texas
2. M. R. Menezes, G Bae, Y S Park, J Balzeau, C C. Stephan and J P. Hagan. A cell-based screen for poor prognosis ovarian cancer chemotherapy. 2017 Precision Medicine Symposium, Houston, Texas
3. M. R. Menezes, G Bae, Y S Park, J Balzeau, C C. Stephan and J P. Hagan. An in vitro Biological Assay to Identify Small Molecule Upregulators of let-7 miRNA in LIN28-Positive Ovarian Cancer Cells. 2017 AACR Annual Meeting, Washington DC.
4. M. R. Menezes, A.G. Senejani, Y Liu, C Okezue, L Li, M. W. Bosenburg and J. B. Sweasy. A Gastric Cancer Variant of DNA Polymerase Beta drives cancer in a mouse model. 2013 Yale DNA Repair Symposium, New Haven, CT
5. M. R. Menezes, I. S. Waisertreyger, H Lopez-Bertoni, J Randazzo, X Luo and Y. I. Pavlov. Role of Inosine Triphosphate Pyrophosphatase (ITPA) in preventing base analog induced apoptosis in human cells. 2011 Keystone Meeting on DNA Replication and Recombination, Keystone, CO
6. M. R. Menezes, I.S. Waisertreyger, H Lopez-Bertoni, X Luo and Y. I. Pavlov. Role of Inosine Triphosphaste Pyrophosphatase (ITPA) in preventing base analog – induced apoptosis in HeLa cells. 2011 Midwest Student Biomedical Research Forum, Oral Presentation
7. M. R. Menezes, I. S. Waisertreiger, E. I. Stepchenkova and Y. I. Pavlov. Role of ITPA in maintaining the stability of the genome. 2010 Gordon Research Conference on DNA Damage, Mutation and Cancer, Ventura, CA
8. M. R. Menezes, I.S. Waisertreiger, E. I. Stepchenkova and Y. I. Pavlov. Role of ITPA in maintaining the stability of the genome. 2009 American Society for Microbiology, 3rd Conference on DNA Repair and Mutagenesis, Whistler, BC
9. M. R. Menezes, K Spitler, E Stepchenkova, G E. Borgstahl and Y. I. Pavlov. Role of ITPA in cleansing nucleotide pools. 2008 Gordon Research Conference on Mutagenesis, Oxford, UK
10. M. R. Menezes, K Spitler, E Stepchenkova, G E. Borgstahl and Y. I. Pavlov. Structure and function of human ITPA, a dNTP pool cleansing enzyme. 2008 Keystone Meeting on DNA Replication and Recombination, Santa Fe, NM
11. M. R. Menezes, I.S. Waisertreyger, E. Stepchenkova and Youri I. Pavlov. Role of DNA polymerase Zeta in UV-induced mutagenesis. 2008 Midwest Student Biomedical Research Forum, Omaha, NE
12. M. R. Menezes, K Spitler, E Stepchenkova, G E. Borgstahl and Y. I. Pavlov. Structure and function of human ITPA, a dNTP pool cleansing enzyme. 2008 Midwest DNA Repair Symposium, Philadelphia, PE
13. A Tuli, M Sharma, M. R. Menezes, N Naslavsky, S Caplan, M M McIlhaney and J C.Solheim. Regulation of Antigen Presentation by Amyloid Precursor-Like Protein 2. 2007, The Journal of Immunology. 178, 36.1
ACTIVITIES, SERVICE AND OUTREACH
• Association for Women in Science, Gulf Coast Houston (AWISGCH)
• Association for Minorities in Biomedical Research (AMBR), Texas Medical Center
• New York Academy of Sciences (NYAS)
• American Association of Cancer Research (AACR)