Editorial Board of International Journal of Animal Research
Dr. H. P. Puttaraju
Professor and Chairman
Department of Sericulture/Life sciences and Coordinator for Biological Sciences and
UGC- Innovative Programme Bangalore University Bangalore- 560 056
Biography & Research Interest
Welcome Professor Dr. H. P. Puttaraju to Join the Editorial Board of International Journal of Animal Research. Dr. H. P. Puttaraju is the Recipient of Sir C.V. Raman State Award for Young Scientists in Life Sciences -2004 & Prof. GK manna memorial national award of ISCA for the year 2015-16
Accomplishments in Brief
1. Prof. H.P.Puttaraju obtained B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree in Zoology from University of Mysore and started his research career in Bangalore University with the DST project fellowship on Mosquito cytogenetics and obtained Ph.D degree.
2. Carried out research and teaching at Master‘s level for over 30 years
3. He is presently the Professor and Chairman of life sciences and founder Coordinator & Chairman (BOS/BOE) for Biological Sciences and founder Coordinator for UGC-Innovative Programme, School of Natural Science of Bangalore University.
4. Received prestigious Commonwealth Academic staff fellowship to carryout research for one year (1998-1999) at Cardiff University of Wales, UK.
5. Worked as visiting scientist, University of Bremen, Germany under DFG-INSA bilateral exchange programmes 2010.
6. Received funding for personal research and coordinated projects from UGC, DST, DBT,DST,ICMR, DAE-BRNS and from Bangalore University
7. Recipient of the coveted Karnataka state Sir C.V. Raman Young Scientist award for his outstanding contribution in Life sciences for the year 2004 given by the Chief Minister Govt. of Karnataka.
8. Recognized as one of the Investigators of UGC award for Centre for Potential for Excellence in Bangalore University with Rs. 5.75 Crore for the period from 2012-17.
9. Elected Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society, London (FRES) in 1999.
10. Member, Peer Review Committee, NAAC, India.
11. Selected as Coordinator to conduct DST-INSPIRE Science Program of DST. Govt. of India at Bangalore University for the year 2011, 2012 and 2013.
12. Member Evaluation Award Committee- VGST, Govt. of Karnataka
13. During the past 15 years organized several conferences, Seminars, science camps, workshops, lecture series and Refresher course in Life sciences etc.,
14. Delivered lectures/presented papers at many Universities in India and abroad (USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, Germany, Egypt, South Africa, China, Singapore and other )
15. Served/Serving as member/Chairman of BOS, BOE, BOA and several academic committees of Bangalore and other Universities in the state and outside.
16. Published over 160 research papers, articles in national and international journals of high repute, and 3 books and guided successfully 20 Ph.Ds and 7 M.Phil research degrees.
17. Subject expert to evaluate the projects and awards of various agencies including TWAS.
18. Reviewer of research papers for Indian and foreign journals. Member, Editorial Board Open Journal of Animal Sciences(OJAS) , published by SRP, USA
19. Editor-Vijnanabharathi and Associated editor -Frontiers Microbiology Research topics
20. Contributed review articles & book chapters published at national and international level.
21. Member of the faculty of Science and Academic Council BUB
22. Served as Chairman of the Dept of Sericulture, Bangalore University (1999-2001) .
23. Nominated as DBT representative in the IBSC of Seri biotechnology Laboratory, Bangalore
24. Awarded with UGC-BSR onetime grant under FRPS given to active researchers of India.
25. Awarded with UGC-BSR Faculty Fellowship under UGC-FRPS for the year 2016-2019.
26. Recipient of the Prestigious Prof. GK manna memorial award of ISCA for the year 2015-16
Administrative experience: Being born and brought up in a village came up in life by acquiring required knowledge, merit and qualification to become a faculty (Lecturer to Professor over 33
years) and then Chairman of the Dept. of Sericulture, Bangalore University. As chairman, responsible for creating state of the art infrastructure, designing well suitable curricula, wrote books and organized several seminars/workshops meant mainly for sericulturists, students and researchers which were appreciated by academic bodies. During the same period as a member of Academic
Council actively participated in the important decisions of the University. As a Chairman of Valuation inspection committee during 2006 responsible for introducing 36/40 page answer booklets to avoid malpractices in the examinations besides suggesting other reforms. I was one of the instrumentals and the founder Coordinator for BU starting innovative 5year integrated M.Sc. Program in Biological sciences for the first time for PU passed students. Developed several novel programs for students from rural and semi urban colleges by exposing them to exciting inquiry-based research experiences through interactive lectures and through experimentation and gave them new ideas for pursuing higher education and research career. Also organized several DST-INSPIRE Camps to attract young talents to science course, arranged field/lab visits, project work , etc.and refresher course,workshops for in lifesciences for university teachers. Recently, I am responsible to get financial assistance from UGC to start PG Diploma in Clinical embryology and Assisted reproductive technology under the UGC innovative program. I am also one of the investigators responsible for UGC CPEPA grant of Rs.5.75 crore, besides, involving in various developmental activities of the University.
Research experience: As a researcher in the field of Sericulture/Biological sciences over 36 years, not only investigated the biology and Cytogenetics of Uzifly a serious pest of silkworm but also a
pioneer in unravelling its biosystematics, developmental biology and cytology. Suggested appropriate method to contain Uzifly at field level using chemical- Diflubenzuron, and pioneer in taking up Wolbachia based biocontrol research through molecular technique in India and published over 150 scientific and technical papers and authored books, guided several students for their Ph.D and M.Phil degrees. Based on my work received several prestigious awards including Sir CV Raman young scientist; Prof. GK Manna memorial national award of ISCA; fellowships including commonwealth academic staff fellowship, INSA-DFG exchange fellowship; research grants(more than 2 crore) from DST,DBT,BRNS,UGC,ICMR, BUB; international collaborations with Egypt, Germany, UK etc., Recently, I was also awarded with UGC-BSR one time grant and UGC-BSR faculty fellowship under FRPS given to active researchers of India. Visited several countries abroad under various academic programme.
CertificateClick to download