Review Article of American Journal of Agricultural Research
Traditional to Smart Irrigation Methods in India: Review
Applied Engineering Department, Vignan’s Foundation for Science, Technology and Research University, Vadlamudi-522213 Guntur, Andhra Pradesh
Irrigation is the controlled application of water for agricultural purposes through manmade systems to supply water requirements that are not satisfied by the rainfall. Crop irrigation is vital throughout the world in order to provide the world’s ever-growing populations with enough food. Many different irrigation methods from traditional to smart ones are used over worldwide, including: surface, sub-surface, sprinkler, drip, and advanced or smart to satisfy the plants thrust. In this paper efforts have been made to present the basics of different irrigation systems adapted by the Indian farmers to grow their crops.
Keywords: Irrigation methods, wireless sensor networks, sprinkler, drip, surface, India.
How to cite this article:
Sirisha Adamala. Traditional to Smart Irrigation Methods in India: Review. American Journal of Agricultural Research, 2016,1:2. DOI: 10.28933/ajar-08-1002
1. CE IIT Kharagpur. (2011). Module 3: Traditional water systems and minor irrigation schemes. Retrieved from http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/courses/Webcourse-contents/IIT%20Kharagpur/Water%20Resource%20Engg/pdf/m3l05.pdf
2. Chao, H., Baumann, M., Jensen, A., Chen, Y., Cao, Y., Ren, W., McKee, M. (2008). Band-reconfigurable multi-UAV-based cooperative remote sensing for real-time water management and distributed irrigation control. In Proc. Int. Fedn. Auto. Control World Cong. (IFAC), Seoul, Korea, 6-11 July.
3. Damas, M., Prados, A. M., Gomez, F., Olivares, G. (2001). HidroBus® system: Fieldbus for integrated management of extensive areas of irrigated land. Microprocessors Microsyst. 25:177-184.
4. de Lima, G. H. E. L., e Silva, L. C., Neto, P. F. R. (2010). WSN as a tool for supporting agriculture in the precision irrigation. In Proc. Int. Conf. on Networking and Services, Cancun, Mexico, 7-13 March, 137-142.
5. Dhawan, B. D. (2002). Technological change in Indian irrigated agriculture: A study of water saving methods. Commonwealth Publishers, New Delhi.
6. Dhivya, A., Infanta, J., Chakrapani, K. (2012). Automated agricultural process using PLC and ZigBee. J. Artificial Intelligence, 5:170-177.
7. Evans, R., Bergman, J. (2003). Relationships between cropping sequences and irrigation frequency under self-propelled irrigation systems in the Northern great plains (Ngp). USDA Annual Report. Project Number: 5436-13210-003-02. June 11, 2003-December 31, 2007.
8. GOI., (2004). Report of Task Force on Microirrigation, (Chairman: N. Chandrababu Naidu), Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India, January.
9. Gover, A., Kant, S., Payret, A., Pyakuryal, B., Seneres, L., Singal, D. (2013). Incorporating traditional methods of irrigation with water management in Mandi, India. 67 pp.
10. INCID (1994). Drip irrigation in India. Indian National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage, New Delhi.
11. Jaria, F, Madramootoo, C. A. (2011). Irrigation scheduling of field tomatoes based on stand-alone continuous, real-time soil moisture sensor data. In Proc. Northeast Agricultural and Biological Conference, South Burlington, Vermont, 24-27 July.
12. Kim, Y., Evans, R., Iversen, W. (2008). Remote sensing and control of an irrigation system using a distributed wireless sensor network. IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., 57:1379-1387.
13. Kulkarni, S. A. (2005). Looking beyond eight sprinklers. In Proc. National Conference on Microirrigation, G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar, India, June 3-5.
14. Kundu, D. K., Neue, H. U., Singh, R. (1998). Comparative effects of flooding and sprinkler irrigation on growth and mineral composition of rice in an Alfisol. In Proc. National Seminar on Microirrigation Research in India: Status and Perspective for the 21st Century, Bhubaneswar, July 27-28.
15. Miranda, F. R., Yoder, R. E., Wilkerson, J. B., Odhiamboc, L. O. (2005). An autonomous controller for site-specific management of fixed irrigation systems. Comput. Electron. Agric., 48:183-197.
16. Narayanamoorthy, A. (2005). Efficiency of irrigation: A case of drip irrigation. Occasional Paper: 45, Department of Economic Analysis and Research, National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development, Mumbai, India.
17. Ojha, T., Misra, S., Raghuwanshi, N. S. (2015). Wireless sensor networks for agriculture: The state-of-the-art in practice and future challenges. Comput. Electron. Agric., 118:66-84.
18. Pravina B. Chikankar, P. B., Mehetre, D., Das, S. (2015). An automatic irrigation system using ZigBee in wireless sensor network. In Proc. Int. Conf. Pervasive Computing (ICPC), 8-10 Jan, DOI: 10.1109/PERVASIVE.2015.7086997.
19. Report of the Task Force on Irrigation, (2009). Planning Commission Government of India, May.
20. Rosegrant, W. M., Ximing, C., Cline, S. A. (2002). World water and food to 2020: Dealing with scarcity. International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, D.C., USA and International Water Management Institute, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
21. Sengupta, N. (1985). Irrigation: Traditional vs modern. Economic and Political Weekly, 20(45/47), 1919-1938.
22. Shock C. C., David R. J., Shock C. A., Kimberling C. A. (1999). Innovative, automatic, low-cost reading of watermark soil moisture sensors. In Proc. Irrig. Assoc. Tech. Conf., Falls Church, VA, 147-152.
23. Sivanappan, R. K. (1998). Status, scope and future prospects of microirrigation in India. In Proc. Workshop on Microirrigation and Sprinkler Irrigation System, CBIP New Delhi, April 28-30, 1-7.
24. Sudha, M. N., Valarmathi, M., Babu, A. S. (2011). Energy efficient data transmission in automatic irrigation system using wireless sensor networks. Comput. Electron. Agric., 78:215-221.
25. Wall, R.W., King, B. A. (2004). Incorporating plug and play technology into measurement and control systems for irrigation management. In Proc. ASAE/CSAE Annu. Int. Meeting, Ottawa, Canada, August.
26. Xiong, S. M., Wang, L. M., Qu, X. Q., Zhan, Y. Z. (2009). Application research of WSN in precise agriculture irrigation. In Proc. Int. Conf. Environ. Sci. Inf. Applic. Tech., Wuhan, China, 4-5 July, 2:297-300.