Review Article of American Journal of Agricultural Research
Space breeding in modern agriculture
Liling Jiang, Baochang Zhang, Weipeng Chen, Tianyuan Qiu,Linlin Wang, Shandong Yang*
School of Agricultural Engineer and Food Science, Shandong University of Technology, Zibo 255000, China
Space breeding, also known as aviation breeding or space technology breeding, is a new type of breeding technology developed in recent decades, which combines space technology, modern agricultural technology and biotechnology. Compared with traditional breeding technology, it can greatly improve the quality of agricultural products in a short period of time, create many high-quality provenances, well solve the problem of food shortage, and bring endless benefits to the world. Therefore, space breeding technology will play an important role in the rapid development of modern agriculture. In this paper, the principles and characteristics of space breeding, development status and future prospects at home and abroad are introduced.
Keywords: Space breeding; mutagenic; Modern agriculture
How to cite this article:
Liling Jiang, Baochang Zhang, Weipeng Chen, Tianyuan Qiu,Linlin Wang, Shandong Yang. Space breeding in modern agriculture. American Journal of Agricultural Research, 2020, 5:81. DOI: 10.28933/ajar-202-01-1005
1. Anikeeva I D，Vaulina E N，Kostina L N. The action of space flight factors on the radiation effects of additional gamma-irradiation of seeds[J]. Life Science and Space Research，1979(17):133—137.
2. Qiu yunlan, he yuankang, mei mantong et al. Biological effects of space flight on maize seeds [J]. Journal of south China agricultural university, 1994,15 (2) : 100 — 105.
3. Jing-sheng zheng. Journal of jiangxi agricultural university, 2003(5) : 671-675. (in Chinese with English abstract).
4. Wang jun, xu xiaogang, tong lili. Application and research progress of space breeding [J]. Hebei agricultural science, 2009,13 (03) : 68-70.
5. Wen xian-fang, liu lu-xiang. Research progress of spatial mutation breeding in agriculture in China [J]. High technology and industrialization, 2001(06) : 31-34.
6. Xue huifeng, wang jiasheng, zhou shaopeng et al. Development status, problems and Suggestions of space breeding in China over the past 30 years [J]. China aerospace science, 2017(12) : 19-22.
7. Liu l x, guo h J, zhao l s. basic achievements and prospects of crop space breeding in 20 years in China [J]. Journal of nuclear agronomy, 2007,21 (6) : 589-592. (in Chinese with English abstract)
8. Li yu. Space breeding from “supporting role” to “leading role” [J]. China rural science and technology, 2013(07) : 25-27.
9. Zhao linshu, liu luxiang. Research progress of space botany in Russia [J]. Journal of nuclear agriculture, 1998,12 (4): 252-256.( in Chinese)
10. Journal of space science, 1996(S1) : 148-152. (in Chinese with English abstract)
11. CLiu lu-xiang. Status and prospect of space technology breeding [J]. International space, 2001(07) : 8-11.( in Chinese)
12. Cheng xiao-bing. Current situation and prospects of crop space breeding [J]. Subtropical plant science, 2014,43 (03) : 266-270.( in Chinese)