Research Article of American Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences
Research on Fire Behavior of Ship Engine Room
College of Ocean Science and Engineering, Shanghai Maritime University, Shanghai 201306, China.
Due to the need for high performance and reduced commercial cost of ownership, and due to many outstanding advantages such as high strength and light weight, steel has been widely used in engineering practice. In the case of fire, in order to prevent and protect these structures, it is the key issue to study the fire behavior environment. The engine room is also the source of power for ships. It is a high-risk area with frequent fires. Therefore, this paper mainly uses FDS to conduct numerical simulation research through a scaled-down engine room with a size of 3m×3m×3.5m. The change of temperature, pressure and smoke movement in the closed cabin with time at a fire source height of 1.5m is studied. The research shows that the fire behavior inside the closed cabin conforms to the two-zone model, and the fire suppression method of the closed fire has its significant advantages, And looked for the best time to reopen the cabin and the location of subsequent repair structures.
Keywords: Fire behavior; Ship engine room; FDS
How to cite this article:
Chen keye. Research on Fire Behavior of Ship Engine Room. American Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 2020; 3:22. DOI:10.28933/ajbas-2020-04-0205
1. DAI Zhong.Introduction to the characteristics of ship fire and the countermeasures[J]. Marine Fire,2012(6):25-28.
2. Charchalis A，Czyz S. Analysis of Fire Hazard and Safety Requirements of a Sea Vessel En-gine Rooms[J]. Journal of Kones Powertrain and Transport，2011，18(2)：49-56.
3. LI Yuan-zhou，LIU Yi.Study on smoke filling pro-cess in shipengine room based on full-scale tests[J].Journal of Safety and Environment，2018，18（2）：542-547.
4. LIU Luming,ZHAO Jincheng,JIN Meng.Study on temperature field of offshore platform under fire[A].The Ninth National Symposium on Modern Structural Engineering[C],2009.
5. Chen L G, Luo C, Lua J. FDS and Abaqus coupling toolkit for fire simulation and thermal and mass flow prediction[C]. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Fire Safety Science 10th, International Association for Fire Safety Science, UK, 2011: 1465-1478.
6. Det Norske Veritas.Engine Room Fires can be Avoided[R].2007.
7. Merci B,Maele K V. Numerical simulations of full-scale enclosure fires in a small compartment with natural roof ventilation[J].Fire Safety Journal, 2008,43(7):495-511.
8. Dong Hua,Fan Weicheng.Ship sealed cabin fire process and its numerical simulation[J].Chinese journal of computational mechanics,1998,15（1）：79-85
9. Utiskula Y, Quintiere J. G, Rangwala A. S. et al., Compartment fire phenomena under limited ventilation. Fire Safety Journal, 40(2005)367-390.
10. Pearson Anthony, Most Jean—Michel, Drysdale Dougal.Behaviour of a confined fire located in an unventilated zone. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2007, 3 1: 2529-2536.
11. W.K. Chow,G.W. Zou.Numerical simulation of pressure changes in closed chamber fire[J]. Building and Environment, 2009, 44(6):1261-1275
12. HU Jing.Experimental Study on Temperature Characteristics in Closed Cabin[D].Anhui:University of Science and Technology of China,2010.
13. LIU Xuan-ya,XU Shi-liang,Analysis and design of similarity model of ship fire simulation cabin[J]. Fire Science and Technology,2004,23(5):413-416
14. Kevin McGrattan,Editor.Fire Dynamics Simulator(Version 4) Technical Reference Guide[M]. NIST Special Publication 1018.
15. European 3: Design of Steel Structures: Part 1.1: General Rule and Rules for Buildings[S]. European Committee for Standardization,1992.
16. DONG Hua,Fan Weicheng.Ship sealed cabin fire process and its numerical simulation[J].Chinese Journal of computational mechanics ,1998,15(1):80-85.
17. HU Jing,LU Shou-xiang,LI Chang-hai,CHEN Bing.A study on temperature characteristic in enclosed cabin fire[J]. Fire safety science, 2010, 19(3):109-115.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.