Research article of American Journal of Computer Sciences and Applications
Ascertaining the impact of Temperature, Rainfall, Water level, and Water discharge on Sediment Yield
Balogun O*, Ogunseye A.A, Hinmikaiye J, Adegbenle A.A, Oyebode A.A, Akinshola J
Department of Computer Science Babcock University, Nigeria
The state of our natural environment is continuously changing. Various texts, global environmental monitoring bodies and environmental focused research groups agree that the deterioration, if not checked, will in the nearest future make it impossible for all living things to continue to exist in the ways we are accustomed to.
As Earth’s temperature steadily increases, so has its sea level. This has brought about a lot of changes in the landscape of different catchment areas which is as a result of flooding. Flooding, in turn, has also resulted in death and proliferation of water borne diseases
This work is motivated by the need to understand what factors mostly affect sediment yield in order to safe guard against its effects. The work takes a look into temperature, rainfall, water level, and water discharge factors from Oyan gauging station of the Ogun-Osun River basin, in the south western part of Nigeria. Our results show that all factors considered have a Sconsiderable effect on sediment yield.
Keywords:impact of Temperature, Rainfall, Water level, and Water discharge, Sediment Yield
How to cite this article:
Balogun O, Ogunseye A.A, Hinmikaiye J, Adegbenle A.A, Oyebode A.A, Akinshola J, Ascertaining the impact of Temperature, Rainfall, Water level, and Water discharge on Sediment Yield. American Journal of Computer Sciences and Applications, 2019; 2:17.
1. Ai, N., Wei, T., Zhu, Q., Zhao, X. K., Zhao, W., Ma, H., & Xie, R. (2016, Jan 11). Factors affecting runoff and sediment yield on the semiarid loess area in Northern Shaanxi Province, China. Physical Geography, 36(6), 537-554. doi:https://doi.org/10.1080/02723646.2015.1133189
2. D.Restrepo, J., BjörnKjerfve, MichelHermelin, & C.Restrepo, J. (2006, Jan 10). Factors controlling sediment yield in a major South American drainage basin: the Magdalena River, Colombia. Science Direct, 316(1-4), 213-232. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2005.05.002
3. Defined Term. (2019). Sediment Yield. Retrieved March 19, 2019, from Defined Term: https://definedterm.com/sediment_yield/200054
4. Halton, M. (2018, July 25). Liquid water ‘lake’ revealed on Mars. Retrieved March 19, 2019, from BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44952710
5. Mid-America Regional Council. (2006). What is Sediment pollution? Retrieved March 19, 2019, from Mid-America Regional Council: https://cfpub.epa.gov/npstbx/files/ksmo_sediment.pdf
6. National Geographic. (2019). Education. Retrieved March 19, 2019, from National Geographic: https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/river/
7. National Geographic. (2019). Sediment. Retrieved March 19, 2019, from National Geographic: https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/sediment/
8. Njogu, I. N., & Kitheka, J. U. (2017). Assessment of the Influence of Rainfall and River Discharge on Sediment. Hydrology current Research, 8(1), 1-9. doi: 10.4172/2157-7587.1000263
9. Ogun-Oshun River Basin Authority. (2013). Area of coverage. Retrieved March 19, 2019, from http://www.oorbda.com.ng/about.php
10. Sciencing. (2017, April 24). Types of Water Bodies. Retrieved March 19, 2019, from Sciencing: https://sciencing.com/types-water-bodies-5387178.html
11. Smetanová, A., Bissonnais, Y. L., Raclot, D., Nunes, J. P., Licciardello, F., Bouteiller, C. L., . . . Santos, J. M. (2018, July 18). Temporal variability and time compression of sediment yield in small Mediterranean catchments: impacts for land and water management. Soil use and Management, 34(3), 388-403. doi:https://doi.org/10.1111/sum.12437
12. USGS. (2016, December 2). How much water is there on, in, and above the Earth? Retrieved March 19, 2019, from USGS: https://water.usgs.gov/edu/earthhowmuch.html
13. Wang, J., Huang, J., Wu, P., & Zhao, X. (2016, April 13). Application of neural network and grey relational analysis in ranking the factors affecting runoff and sediment yield under simulated rainfall. Soil Research, 54(3), 291-301. doi:https://doi.org/10.1071/SR15068
14. William, M. (2012). River sediments. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Soceity, 370, 2093-2122. doi:doi:10.1098/rsta.2011.0504
15. World Metrological Organization. (2018, may 4). Urgent action needed on water-related disasters. Retrieved March 19, 2019, from World Metrological Organization: https://public.wmo.int/en/media/news/urgent-action-needed-water-related-disasters
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.