Research Article of American Journal of Computer Sciences and Applications
ADOPTION OF IFÁ AS A COMPUTER-BASED INFORMATION SYSTEM
Yusuf Lateef Oladimeji1*; Ibharalu, Friday Thomas1; Emmanuel, Jadesola Adejoke2
1Department of Computer Science, College of Physical Sciences, Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria
2Department of Mathematical Sciences, Achievers University, Owo, Nigeria
Ifá scholars have primarily focused on its sociological and linguistic aspects while the scientific and computer aspects have been variously neglected. This paper explored the mathematical and computer model of Ifá corpus, which will assist Ifá priests to use the oracular process to simulate Ikin (the sixteen sacred palm nuts) and Ọ̀pẹ̀lẹ̀ (the divining bead chain) on the way to produce Odù (Ifá poetries) signatures. Each signature links the 256 Odùs in the database which invariably retrieved the corresponding verses with conforming sacrifices or advices. Microsoft Visual Studio.Net Express 2018 Community Edition on Window 10 Professional, 64-bit Operating System with Intel core duo CPU at 2.60 GHz, 12 GB memory was used to implement Ifá Application Tool (IAT). IAT interface supported Ikin and Ọ̀pẹ̀lẹ̀ simulation, the manual inscription of Odù signature, display of verses, stories, advises and recommended sacrifices. Usability testers scored the tool high in the ease of finding information within the user interface while it was above average in the skill to capture essential features for Odù divination accomplishments. This model supported Ifá professionals to make informed decisions and assessment by eliminating the level of ambiguity to interpret Odù corpus with a clear demarcation of its meanings.
Keywords: Ifá; Odù-Ifá; Usability Testing; Bernoulli trial; Ifá Application Tool; Yoruba Traditional Religion
How to cite this article:
Yusuf Lateef Oladimej; Ibharalu, Friday Thomas; Emmanuel, Jadesola Adejoke, ADOPTION OF IFÁ AS A COMPUTER-BASED INFORMATION SYSTEM. American Journal of Computer Sciences and Applications, 2019; 2:19. DOI: 10.28933/ajcsa-2019-06-3005
1. Abimbola W. Ifá: An exposition of Ifá literary corpus. Athelia Henrietta Press; 1997.
2. Adegbindin, O. The problem of gerontocracy in Africa: the Yorùbá perspective as illustrated in the Ifá corpus. Versita human affairs 21, Pp. 454–469. Institute for Research in Social Communication, Slovak Academy of Sciences. DOI: 10.2478/s13374-011-0043-3. 2011
3. Adegboyega, O. O. The metaphysical and epistemological relevance of Ifá corpus. International Journal of History and Philosophical Research Vol.5, No.1, pp.28-40. 2017
4. Ajayi B. Ifá divination process. Research in Yoruba Language and Literature. 1996; 8:1-5.
5. Akaenyi, W. l. The Relevance of Computer-Based Information System in an Organization. The Journal of Technical Education Research and Development Vol.4 No.2. 2013
6. Akinmayowa, P., and Akin-Otiko, O.P. Ifá: a redefinition of concept. Gold Press Limited, Ibadan, Nigeria. 2016
7. Alamu, F.O., Aworinde, H.O., and Isharufe, W.I. A comparative study on Ifa Divination and Computer Science. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Research. Volume No. 1., issue no. 6, pages 524-528. 2013
8. Azmat Ullah, Fahad Algarni and Rajiv Khosla. An Enterprise Computer-Based Information System (CBIS) in the Context of Its Utilization and Customer Satisfaction. Downloaded on December 15, 2018 @ http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.77026
9. Bade A. A New Model of Ifa Binary System. (http://unilorin.edu.ng/publications/yajayi/NEW%20MODEL.doc) Accessed 19 February 2019
10. Bejide Femi. Mythology as a Veritable Source of Philosophy: A Philosophical Analysis of Computer and IFA Divination Techniques. The International Journal of Humanities & Social Studies (ISSN 2321 – 9203). Vol. 3, issue 7. 2015
11. Folorunso O, Akinwale A. T., Vincent R. O., and Olabenjo B. A mobile-based knowledge management system for “Ifa”: An African traditional oracle. African Journal of Mathematics and Computer Science Research Vol. 3(7), pp.114-131, July 2010. Available online at http://www.academicjournals.org/AJMCSR ISSN 2006-9731 ©2010 Academic Journals
12. Olu-Osayomi, O. Dramatic Aspect of Ese ifa in Yorubaland. International Journal on Studies in English Language and Literature (IJSELL) Volume 5, Issue 10, October 2017, PP 12-18 ISSN 2347-3126 (Print) & ISSN 2347-3134 (Online) http://dx.doi.org/10.20431/2347-3134.0510003
13. Pogoson, O. I. and Akande, A. O. Ifa Divination Trays from Isale-Oyo, Cadernos de Estudos Africanos [Online], 21 | 2011, Online since 22 July 2012, connection on 12 October 2018. URL: HTTP:// journals.openedition.org/cea/196; DOI: 10.4000/cea.196
14. Sanda F. A. and Oladokun T. O. Art in the Service of Religion: A Study of Selected Carvers of Ifa Sculptures and Objects in South-Western Nigeria. International Journal of Architecture, Arts and Applications. Vol. 3, No. 4, 2017, pp. 53-62. doi: 10.11648/j.ijaaa.20170304.12