Research article of American Journal of Educational Research and Reviews
Acquisition of New Competencies of Science Teachers and Pre-graduate Physics Teachers in the Community of Practice
Science Faculty, Palacky University, Czech Republic
The aim of this paper is to present the outcomes of the project that is solved at the Faculty of Science in Olomouc, Czech Republic. One of the key activities of the project is to find critical themes of secondary school science subjects and prepare methodological materials according a deep analysis in the frame of the community of practice. It can be demonstrated that the community of practice (universities, secondary schools and non-profit organizations) can be of great importance for acquisition of new competencies of teachers so as students. 120 skilled teachers identified a set of critical sites of the secondary school science subjects curriculum. A number of key needs of in-service teachers have been identified too – the development of teachers’ competences in the field of didactics, in the field of reflection of their own teaching activities, the implementation of new teaching forms and methods of work with emphasis to the individual needs of learners within a heterogeneous group, the implementation of interdisciplinary relations.
Keywords: Community of Practice, Teaching Physics, Critical Curricula Topics in Physics
How to cite this article:
Renata Holubova. Acquisition of New Competencies of Science Teachers and Pre-graduate Physics Teachers in the Community of Practice. American Journal of Educational Research and Reviews, 2018,3:40. DOI:10.28933/ajerr-2018-11-2508
1. Avery, M. Leanne, William S. Carlsen. 2001. “Knowledge, Identity, and Teachers’ Multiple Communities of Practice.“ Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching St. Louis, MO March 28.
2. Beichner, Robert J. 2009. “An introduction to physics education research“. In Getting started in physics education research, edited by Charles Henderson and Kathleen A. Harper, College Park: AAPT. Accessed June 15, 2018. http://www.percentral.org/items/detail.cfm?ID=8806.
3. Bernard, Henry Russel. 2000. Social Research Methods: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage publications.
4. Besamusca, Amy. 2013. The impact of participation in a community of practice on teachers´ professional development concerning the use of ICT in the classroom. Accessed June 10, 2018. https://dspace.library.uu.nl/handle/1874/274173.
5. Dykstra, I. Dewey, Boyle C. Franklin and Monarch Ira A. 1992. “Studying conceptual change in learning physics”. Science Education 76(6): 615 − 652.
6. Janík, Tomas. 2018. Didactica viva. Accessed June 15, 2018. http://didacticaviva.ped.muni.cz/.
7. Ford, Kenneth W. 1971. “Conceptual physics: A new introduction to your environment“. Physics Today, 24 (10): 54 – 55.
8. Elliott, John. 1991. Action research for educational change. Buckingham, UK: Open University Press.
9. Hlouskova, Lenka, Hana Koudelova. 2008. Teorie učení a jejich využití v práci učitele. (Theory of learning and their use in teachers practice.) Accesed June 15, 2018. https://is.muni.cz/el/1421/jaro2008/DPS003/um/4429574/Teorie_uceni.pdf.
10. Kirschner, Paul A., John Sweller and Richard E. Clark. 2006. “Why minimal guidance during instruction does not work: An analysis of the failure of constructivist, discovery, problem-based, experiential, and inquiry-based teaching“. Educational psychologist, 41(2): 7586.
11. Ogborn, Jon. 2012. “Curriculum development in physics: Not quite so fast!“. Scientia in educatione, 3(2): 3–15.
12. Ruthven, Kenneth, Colette Laborde, John Leach and Andrée Tiberghien. 2009. “ Design Tools in Didactical Research: Instrumenting the Epistemological and Cognitive Aspects of the Design of Teaching Sequences.“ Educational Researcher 38 (5): 329 – 342.
13. Wenger, Ettiene. 2003. “Communities of practice: Learning, meaning and Identity.“ Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education 6(2): 185 – 194.
14. Wenger, Ettiene. 2012. Communities of practice and social learning systems. Accessed June 15, 2018. http://wenger-trayner.com/resources/publications/cops-and-learning-systems/.
15. National curricula. 2018. Accessed June 15, 2018. http://www.nuv.cz/our-work/framework.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.