Research Article of American Journal of Dermatological Research and Reviews
Volumeplasty of bulky nose using heat dermabrasion as a minor therapy
Khalifa E. Sharquie1, Fatema A. Al-Jaralla2
1Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, University of Baghdad. Iraqi and Arab Board for Dermatology & Venereology, Baghdad Teaching Hospital, Medical City, Baghdad, Iraq. 2Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, University of Baghdad, Baghdad, Iraq
Background: Ultrathick nasal skin and nodulation is one of the most daunting challenges in cosmetic nasal surgery. Rhinoplasty is a common surgical procedure to correct mostly gross abnormal nasal anatomical variation; however, many patients have minor bizarre shape or deformities that could not be well corrected by ordinary surgical procedures. So we should find other techniques to correct these unwanted or undesired nose shape abnormalities.
Objective: The purpose of this article is to perform heat dermabrasion to reduce the size of bulky nose and to create new alar groove and to remove nose nodulations, acne or traumatic scarring.
Patients and methods: In this study, we collected 40 patients with bulky nose during the period from 2009 through 2019; 21 females and 19 males and their ages ranged from 20-65 years. An Informed consent was taken from each patient before starting the study, after full explanation about the procedure. All patients had bulky nose, some had nodulation of nose and acne or traumatic scarring. Only one patient had history rhinophyma of several years duration. All patients were treated with heat dermabrasion using diathermy needle after local xylocaine anesthesia and patients were received topical antiseptic and oral antibiotics to be seen after 2 weeks. Then topical corticosteroid was used to prevent post-inflammatory pigmentation.
Results:A total of 40 patients diagnosed with bulky nose were enrolled in this study; 21 (52.5%) patients were females and 19 (47.5%) were males. Age of patients ranged from 20-65 years with a mean of 42.5 years. The duration of the condition ranged from few months to several years. In all patients with bulky nose were improved and alar groove were created or maximized and gave satisfactory cosmetic results using heat dermabrasion. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation was noticed but overtime was gone.
Conclusion: heat dermabrasion using diathermy is new simple innovative minor technique to reduce size of bulky nose or small cosmetic abnormalities that could not be corrected by the standard classical rhinoplasty.This were carried under local anesthesia, need one session with minimal down time, without complications. Compared to dermabrasion by diathermy, CO2 dermabrasion is costy and usually needs many sessions, in addition to the undue laser exposure.
Keywords: Nasal volumeplasty; heat dermabrasion; bulky nose; diathermy
How to cite this article:
Khalifa E. Sharquie, Fatema A. Al-Jaralla.Volumeplasty of bulky nose using heat dermabrasion as a minor therapy. American Journal of Dermatological Research and Reviews, 2020, 3:18. DOI: 10.28933/ajodrr-2020-01-2106
1. Micheli-Pellegrini, V., & Manfrida, G. M. (1979). Rhinoplasty and its psychological implications: Applied psychology observations in aesthetic surgery. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 3(1), 299–319.
2. Geurkink, N. Nasal anatomy, physiology, and function. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 1983; 72(2), 123–128. doi:10.1016/0091-6749(83)90518-3
3. Anderson KJ, Henneberg M, Norris RM. Anatomy of the nasal profile. J Anat. 2008;213(2):210–216.
4. Hafezi, F., Naghibzadeh, B., & Nouhi, A. Management of the Thick-Skinned Nose: A More Effective Approach. Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology, 2006; 115(6), 444–449.
5. Jomah J., Elsafi R. A., Ali K. S.; Abdullah R.; Gelidan, A. G. Nasal Skin Thickness Measurements Using Computed Tomography in an Adult Saudi Population. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open 2019 ; 7( 9) :2450.
6. Alharethy S, Mousa A, Alharbi A, Aldrees T, AlQaryan S, Ju Jang Y. Does skin thickness affect satisfaction post rhinoplasty? Middle Eastern population as an example. Saudi Med J. 2018;39(12):1238–1241. doi:10.15537/smj.2018.12.23269
7. Ozkul MH, Kocagöz DG, Balıkcı HH, Verim A, Yaşar H. A practical method for assessing nasal skin quality. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2013;270:1839–1842.
8. Hrisomalos, E., & Davis, R. Surgical Management of the Thick-Skinned Nose. Facial Plastic Surgery, 2018; 34(01), 022–028. doi:10.1055/s-0037-1617421
9. Patrocínio, L. G., Carvalho, P. M. C., Souza, H. M. de, Couto, H. G., & Patrocínio, J. A. Manobras cirúrgicas realizadas nas rinoplastias de um serviço de residência médica em otorrinolaringologia. Revista Brasileira de Otorrinolaringologia, 2006;72(4), 439–442.
10. Tasman, Abel-Jan. Rhinoplasty – indications and techniques. GMS current topics in otorhinolaryngology, head and neck surgery. 2007; 6. Doc09.
11. Gozali MV, Zhou B. Effective treatments of atrophic acne scars. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2015;8(5):33–40.
12. Baker TM. Dermabrasion. As a complement to aesthetic surgery. Clin Plast Surg. 1998 Jan. 25(1):81-8.
13. Leyngold M, Leyngold I, Letourneau PR, Zamboni WA, Shah H. Basal cell carcinoma and rhinophyma. Ann Plast Surg. 2008 Oct. 61(4):410-2.
14. Faris C, Manjaly JG, Ismail-Koch H, Caldera S. Rapid treatment of rhinophyma with powered microdebrider. Case Rep Otolaryngol. 2013. 2013:621639.
15. Gupta S, Handa S, Saraswat A, Kumar B. Conventional cold excision combined with dermabrasion for rhinophyma. J Dermatol. 2000 Feb. 27(2):116-20.
16. Guyuron, B., & Lee, M. (2017). An Effective Algorithm for Management of Noses with Thick Skin. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 41(2), 381–387.
17. Kim EK, Hovsepian RV, Mathew P, Paul MD. Dermabrasion. Clin Plast Surg. 2011 Jul. 38(3):391-5, v-vi.
18. Smith JE. Dermabrasion. Facial Plast Surg. 2014 Feb. 30(1):35-9.
19. Goldberg DJ, Cutler KB. Nonablative treatment of rhytids with intense pulsed light. Lasers Surg Med. 2000. 26(2):196-200. Medline.
20. Kamer FM, Lefkoff LA. Injectable collagen, chemical peeling and dermabrasion as an adjunct to rhytidectomy. Facial Plast Surg. 1992 Jan. 8(1):89-92. Medline.
21. Menaker GM, Wrone DA, Williams RM, Moy RL. Treatment of facial rhytids with a nonablative laser: a clinical and histologic study. Dermatol Surg. 1999 Jun. 25(6):440-4.
22. Kitzmiller WJ, Visscher M, Page DA, Wicket RR, Kitzmiller KW, Singer LJ. A controlled evaluation of dermabrasion versus CO2 laser resurfacing for the treatment of perioral wrinkles. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000 Nov;106(6) 1366-72; discussion 1373-4.
23. Laun J, Gopman J, Elston JB, Harrington MA. Rhinophyma. Eplasty. 2015;15:ic25.
24. Sharquie KE. Nose volumeplasty. IMCAS 2019. http://www.imcas.com