Research Article of American Journal of Dermatological Research and Reviews
Treatment of Chronic Plaque Psoriasis with Etanercept and Methotrexate
Husam A. Salman1, Fatema A. Al-Jaralla2, Rana K. Obeed3
1Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, University of Baghdad. Iraqi and Arab Board for Dermatology &Venereology, Baghdad Teaching Hospital, Medical City, Baghdad, Iraq. 2Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, University of Baghdad, Baghdad, Iraq.3Dermatology Center, Baghdad Teaching Hospital, Medical City, Baghdad, Iraq.
Abstract: psoriasis is a chronic multifactorial disease that has negative impact on the patient’s quality of life. Selecting appropriate treatment for each patient must be both effective and relatively safe. Methotrexate and Etanercept are systemic therapies used for moderate – severe chronic plaque psoriasis.
Objective: The aim of study is to assess the efficacy of methotrexate and etanercept in the treatment of chronic plaque psoriasis.
Patients and Methods: This therapeutic, interventional comparative single centre study was carried out at the Centre of Dermatology and Venereology, Baghdad Teaching Hospital, from January 2015 –July 2017. A total of 62 patients were enrolled; divided into two groups. Group I: Thirty-three patients (23 males and 10 females), their ages ranged between 15 and 65 years mean ±SD 33.13±13.07, received etanercept 50mg twice weekly for 3 months then once weekly thereafter. Group II: Twenty-nine patients (19 males and 10 females), their ages ranged between 15 and 62 years mean±SD 38.16±15.2, received methotrexate 15 mg per week for six months then tapered. Both groups were followed up monthly for 6 months and their PASI score, DLQI, side effect and pictures were recorded.
Results: Seven patients defaulted from the study for unknown reason,30 patients completed in etanercept group, while 25 patients completed in methotrexate group. After 12 weeks the PASI score decrease from baseline 19.13±10.67 to 6.38±4.96 and then to 3.34±5.38 after 24 weeks treatment with Etanercept compared to reduction in PASI score from baseline 18.97±10.54 to 5.72± 4.8 to 2.95±-6.01 after 12 weeks and 24 weeks respectively. There is significant statistical effect in the two groups.
Conclusions: We conclude that both are effective monotherapy for patients with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis with tolerable side effect
Keywords: etanercept; methotrexate; psoriasis.
How to cite this article:
Husam A. Salman, Fatema A. Al-Jaralla, Rana K. Obeed. Treatment of Chronic Plaque Psoriasis with Etanercept and Methotrexate. American Journal of Dermatological Research and Reviews, 2020, 3:21. DOI: 10.28933/ajodrr-2020-02-2006
1. Alissa C. , Abby S. , Van V. . Introduction: History of psoriasis and psoriasis therapy: Treatment of Psoriasis. Birkhäuser Verlag AG 2008; 1:1-9.
2. Raychaudhuri SP, Farber EM: The prevalence of psoriasis in the world. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2001; 15(1):16-17.
3. Al Yaschi M. Epidemiology and HLA typing of psoriasis in Iraq; Diploma thesis. College of Medicine, University of Baghdad. 1988.
4. Christophers E. Psoriasis—epidemiology and clinical spectrum. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2001;26:314–20
5. Kalb RE, Strober V., Weinstein G., Lebwohl M. Methotrexate and psoriasis: 2009 National Psoriasis Foundation Consensus Conference J Am Acad Dermatol 2009;60:824–37.
6. Carretero G., Puig L. , Dehesa L. , Carrascosa JM., Ribera M ,et al. Guidelines on the Use of Methotrexate in Psoriasis. Actas Dermo-sifiliografica. 2010;101(7):600–613.
7. Anja W. , Amy C. Foulkes, N.J. Reynolds. Methotrexate Toxicity During Treatment of Chronic Plaque Psoriasis :A Case Report and Review of the Literature .Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2014 Dec; 4(2):145-146.
8. R. Bissonnette. Etanercept for the treatment of psoriasis. Available from http://www.skin therapy-letter.com. [Reviewed: 2017 november].
9. Thao U Nguyen and John Koo. Etanercept in the treatment of plaque psoriasis. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2009; 2:77-84.
10. Iffat H, Samia A, Gousia S, Parvias A. Biologics in dermatology: A brief review. British Journal of Medical Practitioners 2013:6(4) a629.
11. Smith CH, Anstey Av, Barker JNWN, Burden AD, Chalmers RJ, Chandler DA. British association of dermatologists guidelines for biological intervention for psoriasis 2009 Br J Dermatol 2009; 161:987 1019.
12. Maria H, Melina M, Raimon S. Skin Lesions and Treatment with Tumo Necrosis Factor Alpha Antagonists. Rheumatol Clin 2013;9(1):53- 61.
13. Severity and extent of psoriasis (Psoriasis Area and Severity Index).http://www.dermnetnz.org/scaly/pasi.html. [accessed at 6/3/2014].
14. Qualityof life. Dermatologylife quality index. http://www.dermtology.org.uk/quality/dlqi/quality-dlqi.html. [accessed at 13/3/2014].
15. Menter A, Korman NJ.,Elmets CA., Gottlieb A, Feldman SR, Van Voorhees AS, Leonardi CL, Gordon KB, Guidelines of care for the management of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, section 5. Guidelines of care for the management of psoriasis with physiotherapy and photochemotherapy. J Am Acad Dermatol 2010; 62:114-35.
16. Cindy D. Kipnis, Wendy A. Myers, Mobolaji Opeola, Alice B. Gottlieb. Biologic treatment for psoriasis. Available from http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2004.12.032.
17. U-F, Haustein , M.Rytter. Methotrexate in psoriasis 26 years’ experience with low dose long term treatment. JEADV,2000,14:382-8.
18. Bo Ri Kim, Jungyoon ohn, Chong won choi, Sang Woong Youn. Methotrexate in a real-world psoriasis treatment, it is really a dangerous medication for all?.Ann Dermatol,2017;29(3):346-8.
19. Kim A Papp. The safety of etanercept for the treatment of plaque psoriasis, their Clin Risk Manage, 2017;3(2):245-8.
20. Giusepp M. et al. Impact of pharmacogenic upon the therapeutic response to etanercept in psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, Expert opinion on drug safety, DOI:10.1080/14740338.2017.1361404.
21. Kenneth B. Gordon et al. Poor early response to methotrexate portends inadequate long-term outcomes in patient with moderate to severe psoriasis: Evidence from 2 phase 3 clinical trials, J Am Acad dermatol 2017. Available from http/dx.doi.org/10.1016/J.add.2017.08.017.
22. M.J.M. Rodrigues-Zuniga, F. Cortez-Franco, E. Qujiano- Gomero. Split doses of methotrexate in patients with severe psoriasis. ACTAS Dermosifiliogr, 2017.Available from http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/J.ad.2016.12.004.
23. Weinberg JM. Successful treatment of recalcitrant palmoplanter psoriasis with etanercept. Cutis. 2003 Nov;72(5):396-8.