Case Report of American Journal of Dermatological Research and Reviews
CARBON BABY-A UNIQUE MANIFESTATION OF CRYPTIC MASTOCYTOSIS
Snahasish Naskar1*, Vidya Kharkar2, Mithari Hershada3
1Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital, Department of dermatology acharya donde marg, Parel, Mumbai, IN 400012. 2Seth GS Medical college & K.E.M. Hospital, Department of Dermatology, Parel, Mumbai Maharshtra, IN. 3Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital, dermatology, Mumbai, Maharashtra, IN.
Universal acquired melanosis or “Carbon Baby Syndrome” is a progressive condition without any definitive evidence of etiology, long-term prognosis and treatment1. We describe case of a four year old female child presented with blackish discolouration of skin all over body giving a picture similar to “Carbon Baby”.
Keywords: Carbon baby; Mastocytosis; c-KIT
How to cite this article:
Snahasish Naskar, Vidya Kharkar, Mithari Hershada. Carbon Baby – A Unique Manifestation of Cryptic Mastocytosis. American Journal of Dermatological Research and Reviews, 2020; 3:37. DOI: 10.28933/ajodrr-2020-07-2505
1. Das A. Universal acquired melanosis. Indian J Pae-diatr Dermatol 2015;16:111-2
2. Chernosky ME, Anderson DE, Chang JP, Shaw MW, Romsdahl MM. Familial progressive hyperpigmenta-tion. Arch Dermatol. 1971 Jun;103(6): 581-91
3. Stefanato CM, Bhawan J. Diffuse hyperpigmentation of the skin: a clinicopathologic approach to diagno-sis. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 1997 Mar;16(1):61-71.
4. Kaviarasan P K, Prasad P, Joe J M, Nandana N, Viswanathan P. Universal acquired melanosis (Car-bon baby). Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol [serial online] 2008 [cited 2020 Apr 4];74:38-40.
5. Rubaltelli FF, Jori G, Reddi E. Bronze baby syn-drome: a new porphyrin-related disorder. Pediatr Res. 1983 May;17(5):327-30
6. Donati P, Paolino G, Donati M, Panetta C. Cutaneous mastocytosis combined with eruptive melanocytic nevi and melanoma. Coincidence or a linkage in the pathogenesis?. J Dermatol Case Rep. 2014;8(3):70–74.
7. Gutiérrez-González E, Ginarte M, Toribio J. Letter: Cutaneous mastocytosis with systemic involvement mimicking clinical and dermatoscopically multiple melanocytic nevi. Dermatol Online J. 2011 Nov 15;17(11):15
8. Piqueres-Zubiaurre T, Martínez de Lagrán Z, Gonzá-lez-Pérez R, Urtaran-Ibarzabal A, Perez de Nanclares G. Familial Progressive Hyperpigmentation, Cuta-neous Mastocytosis, and Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor as Clinical Manifestations of Mutations in the c-KIT Receptor Gene. Pediatr Dermatol. 2017 Jan;34(1):84-89
9. Furuya T, Mishima Y. Progressive pigmentary dis-order in a Japanese child. Arch Dermatol 1962; 86: 412-3.
10. Kaviarasan P K, Prasad P, Joe J M, Nandana N, Viswanathan P. Universal acquired melanosis (Car-bon baby). Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2008;74:38-40
11. Kint A, Oomen C, Geerts ML, Breuillard F. [Congenital diffuse melanosis]. Ann Dermatol Venereol. 1987;114(1):11-6
12. A C Mammen, B Deepthi, S C Majhi, M A Kumar, Suresh Kumar K,Carbon Baby Syndrome – A Rare Case ; Dec 30, 2015 Case Report, Vol VIII Issue 4 2015
13. Mahajan BB, Budhwar J, Chojer P, Singla C. Carbon baby syndrome:a rare case report. JDA Indian Journal of Clinical Dermatology 2018; 2:61-63.
14. A, Malik P, Pathania M, Rathaur V. A Case of a 4-Year-Old Carbon Baby: Acquired Universal Mela-nosis and Literature Review. IJRMS 21Feb. 2020
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.