Research Article of American Journal of Engineering Research and Reviews
Comparative Analysis of Collapse Loads of Slabs Supported on Orthogonal Sided Frames with Beam/ Column Joint Fixed
S.O. Osuji, L.O. Adhekoyibo
University of Benin Department of Civil Engineering Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria.
This research work evaluates the collapse loads of slab supported on orthogonal side ended frames with column/beam joint fixed. Two frame models were investigated (one with Moment of Resistance of slab (MRS) > Moment of Resistance of beam (MRB) and the other with Moment of Resistance of slab (MRS) < Moment of Resistance of beam (MRB)). A reinforced concrete prototype of 3m*3m*3m frame with a reduction factor of 3 was designed and constructed. A model of it constructed and cast with a micro concrete of 1:6 mix ratio. The models were allowed to cure for 28days before being loaded directly until collapse. The estimated collapse load for slab and beam were 20.36KN/m and 52.27KN/m respectively. The actual collapse loads of the frame models (MRS > MRB and MRS < MRB) were 69.04KN/m and 49.68KN/m respectively. The frame model failed by flexural failure at the beams /column joints. The actual collapse load of 69.92KN and 49.68KN respectively were greater than that of the estimated collapse loads of beam and slab comparably. Also the MRS > MRB frame model is stronger than that of the MRS < MRB frame model.
Keywords: Moment of resistance force, collapse load, slap, beam
How to cite this article:
S.O. Osuji, L.O. Adhekoyibo. Comparative Analysis of Collapse Loads of Slabs Supported on Orthogonal Sided Frames with Beam/ Column Joint Fixed . American Journal of Engineering Research and Reviews, 2018, 1:7
1. Olanitori, L.M., Afolayan, J.O. and Arum, C. (2014), mode of collapse of square single panel reinforced concrete space framed structures with beam/column joints hinged. Research journal in Engineering and Applied Sciences 3(5) 358-365
2. Olaleye, T.O., Olanitori, L.M. and O.A. Aikulola (2013), Theoretical and Practical Collapse Load of a Single Panel Space Frame: A Comparative Analysis Approach. Research journal in Engineering and Applied Sciences 5(12) 3249-3261
3. Babatope, A. (2009), determination of collapse load of a square space framed RC model under loading.
4. Couchman, G.H. (1997), Design of semi-Continuous Braced Frames. SCI Publication pp-183. The Steel Construction institute. Ascot.
5. Mosley, W.H. and Bungey, J.N. (1993), Reinforced Concrete Design. The Macmillan press Ltd., London pp 24
6. Astill, A.W. and Martin, L.H. (1982), Elementary structural design in concrete to CP 110. Edward Arnold (publishers) Ltd. London. Pp.16
7. Olanitori, L.M. and Olatuah, A.O. (2005). The effect of clayey impurities in sand on the crushing strength of concrete (A case study of sand in Akure metropolis, Ondo State, Nigerial) 30th conference on our world in concrete and structure. 23-24 Aug. 2005 Singapore pp 373-376.
8. Akintola, O.A, Fakorede, A.S. and Osutade, A.O. (2009), comparative analysis of theoretical and experimental collapse load of square single panel space frame.
9. Horne, M.R. (1964), Safe loads on I-section columns in structures designed by plastic theory. Proceeding of the institution of Civil Engineers, 29. September, pp. 137-150.
10. Nethercot, D.A. (19860, the behavior of steel frame structures allowing for semi-rigid joint action. Steel structures-recent research advances and their application to design. (ed. Pavlovic), Elsevier Applied Science Publishers, London. pp. 135-151.
11. Nethercot, D.A. and Chen, W.F. (1988), Effect of connections of columns. Journal of constructional Steel Research. 10. Pp. 201-239.
12. Darkov, A.V. and Schaposhnikov, N.N. (1986), Structural Mechanics. High School Publishers, Moscow.
13. Baikov, V.N. (1986), Structural Construction. High School Publishers, Moscow. Pp. 455-456
14. Moy, S.S.J, 1981. Plastic Methods for Steel and Concrete Structures, 1st Edition, The Macmillan Press Ltd
15. Pampanin, S., Magenes, G. and Carr, A.(2003), Modelling of Shear Hinge Mechanism in poorly Detailed RC Beam-Column Joints, Proceeding of the fib Symposium Concrete Structures in Seismic Regions, Athens, paper n. 171,2003
16. Pampanin, S., Magenes, G., Calvi, G.M.(2003b), Seismic Response of Reinforced Concrete Buildings Designed for Gravity Loads. Part II: Experimental Test on a Three Storey Frame, submitted to ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.